BobbyHill

Business majors

nope. what are you focusing in? econ? logistics? admin? finance? accounting?

I've come to realize that debate is a great background for business and I was just wondering why it seems that so few debaters go on to be business majors (maybe this notion is empirically wrong -- kind of hard to tell since I'm guess those that do go on to college and do business probably leave the community).

I just seems to me that if debaters have dreams of making the big money, so to speak, in life they should consider the potential of sales and marketing or some other business field.

I don't know... just something I've been thinking about lately.

Debate type people tend to be drawn toward social studies (philosophy, poli sci). I guess the analytical skills and knowledge of the political process debate brings lends to such interests. Personally, I chose this major because I decided I would rather broaden my knowledge rather than learn in greater depth a subject I had already spent many hours on already (political science/government type stuff), and business seemed interesting. In retrospect it doesn't seem like I'm learning that much about business, but at least it's an easy major which prompts for a high gpa for law school applications.

rob,

i can definitely agree that debaters would make good economists. i read greenspan's new book and i see so many passages that could have easily been mistaken as a debater's argument.

i can see how one could find administration a goot fit because its focused on leadership and strategy. and logistics is largely problem solving and lets face it, for any problem debaters could throw out dozens of solutions, analyze them and tell you the best one.

but then i think of more technical areas of business like finance and accounting and i am less sure of how good a match those type of disciplines are. i think some of those would be more of a toss up.

• Upvote 1

I guess I was thinking more Sales/Marketing.... where you have to know what your selling and be quick minded enough to be able to respond to questions/criticisms in an intelligent way.

I guess I was thinking more Sales/Marketing.... where you have to know what your selling and be quick minded enough to be able to respond to questions/criticisms in an intelligent way.

i dunno. all the sales people i know are dumb as bricks. one of my friends working for a big tech company says their sales guys will sell customers all sorts of promises like 'we can speed up your server speeds by 1000%!!!' just to get their commission and then the tech guys arrive and are like 'wtf? we cant do this. and sure as hell cant do it on budget.'

pharma sales folk are reasonably competent because there are lots of rules behind what they can and cant say. they are also rigorously tested on the medical studies and properties of the drugs before they are ever let out the door to push the drugs.

so i guess it depends on the industry.

the marketing folks are reasonably intelligent. they do a lot of market research and try and create ways to develop a successful campaign... of course, marketing also resulted in the famous chevy nova... the car which by definition would never (and never did) sell in south america. the world of marketing is littered with stories of failures (crystal pepsi, touch of yogurt shampoo, world football league, and the pc junior)

i think more than anything, its about strategy and in that sense debaters would be a good fit. that and leadership. i think debate is an excellent training ground for eventual leadership whether its in the military, industry or politics.

i dunno. all the sales people i know are dumb as bricks. one of my friends working for a big tech company says their sales guys will sell customers all sorts of promises like 'we can speed up your server speeds by 1000%!!!' just to get their commission and then the tech guys arrive and are like 'wtf? we cant do this. and sure as hell cant do it on budget.'

pharma sales folk are reasonably competent because there are lots of rules behind what they can and cant say. they are also rigorously tested on the medical studies and properties of the drugs before they are ever let out the door to push the drugs.

so i guess it depends on the industry.

the marketing folks are reasonably intelligent. they do a lot of market research and try and create ways to develop a successful campaign... of course, marketing also resulted in the famous chevy nova... the car which by definition would never (and never did) sell in south america. the world of marketing is littered with stories of failures (crystal pepsi, touch of yogurt shampoo, world football league, and the pc junior)

i think more than anything, its about strategy and in that sense debaters would be a good fit. that and leadership. i think debate is an excellent training ground for eventual leadership whether its in the military, industry or politics.

The issue of whether or not a sales person is honest is a whole nother ball of wax. I was thinking in an ideal situation.

Definitely strategy, proper research and leadership... it's essential in business yet so many business people lack it.

The issue of whether or not a sales person is honest is a whole nother ball of wax. I was thinking in an ideal situation.

Definitely strategy, proper research and leadership... it's essential in business yet so many business people lack it.

Its not honest. The sales people at my friend's company (which is literally a global leader) are just as a whole incompetent. I have met several. I know more about their products than they do.

But yeah. I agree. so many people in business lack it. Sometimes, I think I could do a few things better than my previous superiors. Othertimes, I value their extensive experience. Eh. One day I'll get to project management.

i dont think there is any one field uniquely helped by debate. most law is so different from anything one does in debate. the most relevant aspect is the core skills: research, writing, organizing thoughts, etc.