Sign in to follow this  
cxgoddess

Cleveland Debate?

I'm moving to Cleveland next year and was wondering what debate is like there. I'll be graduating from college and would be interested in helping judge tournaments/getting involved with the debate community. Are there many tournaments in the area? Are the policy programs strong?

Thanks in advance,

Becca Borden

I can't answer your question, but I will say that the Ohio High School Speech League lists an opening for an assistant coach about 1/2 hour away from Cleveland --

http://ohssl.org/

Solon High School is in need of an Assistant Coach, especially one that knows debate. the stipend is $1650. Please contact head coach Jennifer Moore at jmoore15@kent.ledu or call 330-592-2783.

Right now, the Cleveland District is pretty active in terms of speech and debate in general. (Most people there don't really post on this site, though, so you'll probably want to contact them through the OHSSL website or whatever.) This district has a fair number of AE (all events) tournaments each year (usually around 10-ish including OHSSL districts), plus there are also Pre- District Qualifiying tourneys for policy and PF debate (though not everyone goes to these).

Policy is a mixed bag. The district overall tends to lean conservative, as many judges and teams still eschew speed, kritikal debate, and even counterplans. This is starting to change, though.

Some teams have moved more to the newer style, though some of them tend to go more to tournaments outside the Cleveland District and to PDQs instead. On the State level, some Cleveland teams are competitive with teams from from the Akron/Canton areas, which are known for producing high-quality debaters.

The district is definitely more conservative in its Policy debate. If you coach, make sure you choose a school where the style matches up with your own. Some of the schools (Vermillion, Edison) play Policy with very little evidence, little logical analysis, and lots of attempts at victory by eloquence.

Thanks, everyone's input has been really helpful.

I have one more question - I've seen a lot of threads on this forum saying "hire me as a judge." In Colorado, that doesn't really happen. Usually schools post that they're having a tournament and the standard pay is $8/round, and judges just show up. Does that happen at all, or do you have to be "hired" by a school to judge?

My guess is you have to be hired by a school. Assuming you're a pretty mainstream judge, you should consult with one of the following schools:

St. Ignatius (little out of the way)

Hathaway Brown

Hawken

University School

Chagrin will not be doing Policy next year, our coach does not want to continue. But if you want to judge for another event then contact us.

There are multiple tournaments within the state that are within driving distance from Cleveland. Most of them an hour to a little more than an hour south of Cleveland in the Akron/Canton district. I would imagine extra judges would be welcome with open arms and with some decent compensation. I would just make sure to check with the tournament director to see if extras are needed and what schools would need to hire one.

There are people willing to judge high school debate for eight bucks a round? At Ohio debate tournaments, teams are responsible for providing their own judges. At some, judges are available to hire for $100 - $150 for the weekend, so long as you request one enough weeks in advance.

wow, this is very different. In Colorado, usually the school hosting the tournament pays $8/round, not the individual schools competing. I've never made $100 judging a tournament.

The CO judges don't really do it for the money though, it's mostly a way to volunteer/have fun/stay active in the debate community while being compensated a little for the time spent.

This news is really helpful. I'll probably have some "for hire" threads posted during this time next year...

Becca

Remember to hire some of us cool Case Western or John Carroll Debaters or ex-debaters, whatever the case may be, for judging. We bring the fun to judging :).