Sign in to follow this  
bluejaydb8er

Liberty Debate Tournament Judging

so...

i've never been in a college debater's situation, but let me see if i have this right. a bunch are upset because when there is a tournament, they are told they can't judge, and when they are told they can, they end up judging prose/poetry, only to get to the room and have been struck by some dumb coach. and this is because missouri is a terrible place to debate, because no coaches ever want college judges to debate.

and this is insulting because many college judges are completely objective in their decision making process, and would never vote down any team for anything that the team had done outside of the debate round.

is this right?

It's insulting because qualified critics who have a ton of their own shit to do (including but not exclusive to homework, getting fucked up and trying to get laid) are volunteering their time for a weekend to try to give back to something they support and care about and being told that they aren't wanted and aren't qualified. That's some bullshit, and that's why people like Dennis Kane and Allison Levin who actually GIVE BALLOTS to college debaters and who work to make their debates qualified, regardless of any dumbass perception of impropriety (because somehow coaches who are heavily involved in the politics of the district are immune from that), are kick ass awesome.

The moral of the story is that everyone who can go judge at Marquette should, and fuck all the rest unless you're getting paid.

Jeff you were fucking trashed last night you should not be posting at 9:30 a.m...instead you should just now be waking up.

so...

i've never been in a college debater's situation, but let me see if i have this right. a bunch are upset because when there is a tournament, they are told they can't judge, and when they are told they can, they end up judging prose/poetry, only to get to the room and have been struck by some dumb coach. and this is because missouri is a terrible place to debate, because no coaches ever want college judges to debate.

and this is insulting because many college judges are completely objective in their decision making process, and would never vote down any team for anything that the team had done outside of the debate round.

is this right?

I would not say anyone is completely objective - we are all human - but it is insulting because we actually care about debate getting better, and when we can't judge we lose an opportunity to help out an activity that shaped a lot of our lives, or at least influenced them greatly.

In a word, though, "yes"

what about being qualified makes someone objective? (only judging the round on debating, and nothing else) i don't mean to put anyone down - i don't know most of you, but being qualified because you are experienced in debate doesn't always make for an awesome debate round. i think it IS bullshit that a coach would ask you to come judge for them, and then they give you the shaft, or some dickwad coach tells you that you cannot judge their team. it IS stupid when you really want to help and you aren't allowed. that is stupid.

but, i'm thinking about how i would evaluate some of my competition this year. if i were their judge, it wouldn't be a fault of my moral framework to have a bias against certain people or teams. that is something I cannot do away with. this isn't to say that i hate debate, or that i don't want to make it better, or that i would go into the round with the decision already made. not at all. and obviously there are going to be teams i would judge that i wouldn't even know...

again - inexperienced on the issue, but why do coaches have all these negative feelings about college judging?

i mean, it doesn't make alot of sense to say that all coaches are just deathly afraid of judges who are in college, or that all of their fears are unfounded. they feel this way for some reason. why? is there some group of awful college judges who ruined it for the rest of you?

or, is it just a situation of: "fuck the coaches for whatever reason they feel this way, because no matter what, i'm a judge who wants to help out and i'm being treated like a child!"

it seems the meat of the issue isn't: "teams/coaches/debaters are stupid because they never let us judge." it seems to be a why question.

coaches fear that if college students judge debate rounds we will ruin debate by making it fast, technical, and force debaters to debate in certain ways to win ballots. which is the truly ironic part because none of us care if people go slow, read case arguments, or even advocate stock issues- i have had to vote in that paradigm many times.

our position is not that we are objective, we have conceded that no one is. we contend that we make for better judges because we will, like, you know, listen to people's arguments and evaluate the warrants made in a round instead of not voting on topicality just because "you know they were topical!!!".

If you can prove anything I said as false I'll be your lackey, kinda like you were to Fortune...

And how the fuck would you know?

You don't show up or talk to anyone...I know what you're going to say, that I'm a loser for "hanging around HS debate" which is not only false but a cop out for you being a bitch...

That is all...

calm down