Felix Hoenikker

Anyone read any good books lately?

I'm bored and in need of some fiction I won't hate. What's a good book you've read recently and give a quick sentence or two as to what it's about or what you think makes it a good book.

Dear Alex,

I, your surrogate father, have decided to recommend you the George R.R. Martin series called, "A Song of Ice and Fire." You trusted me on Battlestar Galactica and Veronica Mars. Trust me on this. If you want the books, you might be able to borrow them if you come down. If I can find them.

I recently started reading "Peace Like a River". I'm about a quarter of the way in and something tells me this book should be terrible, but the way the author writes I like a great deal, and there's just enough significant events in the book to make it a page-turner. I'll tell the first part without giving it away - two bad kids attack a girl in the locker room, and the narrator's father, the janitor at the school, fends them off of the girl(his son's girlfriend... kind of?), and in doing so kicks the shit out of them. They later confront him and tell him they're watching his family, and they then proceed to harass his family in various ways that eventually ends up in his brother being an outlaw on the run.

Half of the books suggested in this thread aren't fiction.

I found Space Traders to be a puzzling read. Makes you think about racism a lot. I would definately echo A Scanner Darkly.

How I Became Stupid - Martin Page

The protagonist, Antoine, is so intelligent that it makes him absolutely miserable. He can't stand the way his life is moving, so he does the logical thing - he tries to escape. A great book that's an easy, short read but is still satisfying in the way that it progresses from solution to solution with Antoine learning more about himself as he goes. I recommend this one to everybody.