The Furry

Will The Patriots Lose?

With The Patriots Lose This Season?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. With The Patriots Lose This Season?

Brady is down.

Matt Cassel, perpetual backup, with as many career passing yards as Brady gets in half a game, prepares to take the snap from the half-yard line.

Shit.

EDIT: ...and he throws a fifty-yard beauty to Moss. If there is a god, he is a Patriots fan.

Edited by Neurotic_Mastermind

EDIT: ...and he throws a fifty-yard beauty to Moss. If there is a god, he is a Patriots fan.

The Chiefs should've challenged the spot of the ball on the play before that pass.

The last play of the game was freaking pass interference.

...and Larry Johnson still sucks

edit: who the hell is Jamal Charles?

Edited by Hellfish

charles has g-status

i don't understand the thinking on the last possession for the chiefs that didn't result in tony gonzalez look after tony gonzalez look

and if there is a god, he recognizes that the patriots coach is his enemy. the only explanation for the pass is not god intervening, but the chiefs sucking.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80a95089&template=with-video&confirm=true

Brady's season over after injuring knee vs. Chiefs

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Reigning NFL MVP Tom Brady suffered a serious knee injury in the season opener that will end his 2008 campaign, reports NFL Network’s Adam Schefter.

Brady left Sunday's game against the Kansas City Chiefs after being hit on the left leg. He has started 128 consecutive games, but went to the turf clutching his left knee midway through the first quarter when he was hit in the pocket by Chiefs safety Bernard Pollard. After being tended to on the field, he walked off, limping, between two trainers.

Meanwhile, free-agent quarterback Chris Simms is scheduled to arrive in New England Monday morning for a workout and a physical, Schefter reports. If all goes well, Simms could be a Patriot by the end of the day. Kansas City and Tennessee, each of whom had quarterbacks suffer significant injuries on Sunday, also have contacted Simms.

Brady, 31, went to the locker room and was not seen again on the sideline as backup Matt Cassel led the Patriots to a 17-10 victory. The two-time Super Bowl MVP was not available for comment after the game, and coach Bill Belichick said he had nothing to add to the in-game announcement that it was a knee injury.

Brady was 7-for-11 passing for 76 yards, completing a 26-yard pass to Randy Moss on the play in which he was injured. Moss fumbled the ball away when he was tackled; the Patriots forced Kansas City to punt, then Cassel came in for New England.

"Since I've been here and been around Tom, he's always popped back up," Cassel said. "I didn't know (how serious it was). I just buckled my chinstrap and the guys rallied around me. I felt their support."

Cassel took over at his 2 yard-line and, after two handoffs nearly netted the Chiefs a safety, completed his first pass to Moss for a 51-yard gain. Cassel, Brady's backup for the past three years, finished the 98-yard drive with a 10-yard touchdown pass to Moss that gave New England a 7-0 lead.

"This is something I've been preparing for for a long time," said Cassel, who threw just 33 passes while backing up Heisman Trophy winners Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart at Southern Cal. "It's not something I expected to come up on opening day."

A former fourth-stringer who was the 199th overall selection in the 2000 draft, Brady himself took over at quarterback when longtime starter Drew Bledsoe sustained a life-threatening chest injury in a 2001 game against the New York Jets. Brady led the Patriots to their first NFL title that year, another in 2003 and another in 2004.

In the process, Brady has become one of the league's biggest stars and a crossover cover boy who has met the Pope and the president, dated actresses and supermodels and rewrote one of the NFL's most coveted records.

Last year, while leading New England to a 16-0 regular season, Brady set a record with 50 touchdown passes and improved his overall record as a starter to 100-27 -- the best in the Super Bowl era. The Patriots blew a chance at an unprecedented 19-0 season and a fourth NFL title with a 17-14 loss in February's Super Bowl to the New York Giants.

Brady did not play in four exhibition games this summer -- all of them Patriots losses -- while trying to recover from a right foot injury.

"He's the face of the New England Patriots, and Tom being who he is it kind of hurts, to be honest with you," said Moss, who caught 23 of Brady's TD passes in 2007, also a record. "I know the show must go on. Hopefully Matt Cassel is ready to step in. I know the team is ready to embrace him and let him lead us."

The Pats defense is going to need to step it up a notch or five, because absent either a Brady comeback or some heroism from Cassel, they probably won't be able to count on getting much more than half their point total from last year.

I smell a season much like 2001 - a bunch of relatively low-scoring games with a scrappy new quarterback. Unfortunately, I'm not so sure I smell an 11-5 record, and I doubt Bernard Pollard is going to be remembered exactly like Mo Lewis.

are you implying that bernard pollard's hit was dirty?

pats minus brady are, best case scenario, second place in that division. and that's with belicheck selling his soul. but i think he did that already, and his cameras are presumably gone now, so i don't know where he'll turn for an edge now.

If the NFL fines Pollard, I'm going to go shit crazy. He was obviously blocked into hitting Brady that low, and it is much more evident he was blocked into the hit than the time Robert Gaethers took out Trent Green. Gaethers was not fined, and the best Chiefs team in very recent history lost to the Colts in the playoffs. A complete Trent Green in that game, and well, the Colts don't win the Super Bowl that year.

are you implying that bernard pollard's hit was dirty?

pats minus brady are, best case scenario, second place in that division. and that's with belicheck selling his soul. but i think he did that already, and his cameras are presumably gone now, so i don't know where he'll turn for an edge now.

...Where'd I imply that? I'm just saying that Pollard's hit might not go down as one of the best hidden blessings in Pats history, as Lewis' did.

From here, I still think the Pats will make the playoffs, maybe as a wild card (given the dearth of strong AFC teams past the Colts, Bolts, and Jaguars). It'll just be a tougher road.

A lot tougher.

As to what somebody else said above about Pollard getting fined, it's unlikely (and I think the NFL already released something saying Pollard wasn't at fault). Most of the speculation was based on one comment by Randy Moss, which he'll probably end up apologizing for.

just making sure you weren't. consider it preemption.

i don't see any way the pats make the playoffs. let's go ahead and say the colts take the north; you've got to expect a wild card goes to either jacksonville or tennessee. even though tennessee's got the same cons that minnesota does [no receiving corps, no proven qb] they've also got a stellar defense and a bright young spot in chris johnson. he's not adrian peterson, but he has the ability to make as big a difference in their playoff hopes. one of those two teams will be there.

the steelers have the north on lock, i don't see any of those other teams making the playoffs...unless it's the browns. yeah i said it. their offense is potent and once braylon's BACK [he isn't yet] they will compete in that division. unlike palmer, anderson has a decent line protecting him. this is the scariest offense in the AFC down the stretch this year. i think they're the first team left out of the playoffs, but they're definitely better than the pats.

in the west, the broncos made a huge statement last night. that passing attack will probably carry them to the playoffs. everyone takes the bolts success for granted, and they're my personal favorite team in the division, but jake delhomme just embarrassed them on a cross country trip. the second best team in the nfc south does not beat an elite team in the afc on the road. i'm sorry. the bolts won't lay the sweep on the broncos, and the broncs get to sweep oakland and kansas city. they probably go 5-1 in the division. couple these with gimmes against miami and atlanta, and you're looking at 7 wins with relative ease. key games for them are against the saints in denver, the buccaneers in denver, the jaguars in denver, and the bills in denver. notice a common theme there? the broncos are my pick for the second wild card spot--and may actually be the top seeded wild card based solely on the schedule.

but let's go ahead and look at the patriots. not only was randy moss's comment on the hit the dumbest thing i heard all weekend ["it looked like a dirty play to me. i mean, i didn't see it, because i was running down the field to catch the ball, but it looked dirty."] but that hit blows them out of playoff contention. EVEN IF i grant that it's insignificant that the patriots ONLY SCORED SEVENTEEN AGAINST THE EFFING CHIEFS, even if i make believe the patriots will somehow make improvements in the game plan and tailor it to cassel given a full week to prepare, there are a few overwhelming signs pointing to a lack of january play for the patriots.

ONE. the afc east. consensus seems to indicate that the jets are the trendy pick to overtake the pats in the east now. this is pretty feasible. but why is everyone forgetting the bills? here's a team that dominates special teams [based on superior coaching and skill allocation, rather than blind luck, like a certain shitty coaching staff in blacksburg virginia has experienced for years] and all of a sudden has an offense that appears to be clicking through the air and the ground along with a serviceable defense. most importantly, there's no dallas cowboys monday night game on their schedule to shatter the confidence of an entire city a la 2007. no, if any two teams emerge from the east, it will be the jets and the bills. the patriots will struggle to hit .500.

TWO. that defense is not nearly as impressive as it used to be. it let the chiefs execute the two minute drill for chrissakes. DAMON HUARD. sure they got the goal line stance but that's because the chiefs are BAD. this had nothing to do with brady. this is a reality you'll have to live with this season. ten points to the chiefs is 21 to pretty much any team other than miami, kansas city, or oakland. you're not looking at putting up 30 a game anymore, so good luck with that.

THREE. the offensive scheme has to shift. this is not an aerial assault anymore; the patriots are going to have to emphasize ball control and field position wars. okay, they'll get a big play or two from moss, but the offense now becomes maroney's and morris's. these are good backs, don't get me wrong. i'm higher on morris than anyone else i know and have been for over a year. but there is no longer the sense that the patriots will effortlessly answer every score against an offense with a devastating combination of gain after gain. they'll have to grind it out. not only does this lessen pressure on opposing offenses, which played a deceptively large part in the back half of their 18-0 run, it also makes comebacks significantly more difficult once they fall down multiple scores early.

FOUR. another implication of the offensive switch is that special teams wars will play a significant part of their games. this seems minor, but their special teams are mediocre; not only are the bills going to whip them here [twice] but you look at the elite special teams units in the AFC you'll notice that the majority of them are teams that play the patriots and patriots fans expect to be able to beat. miami has great coverage units; san diego has great coverage and return units; oakland has great kickers and coverage units; pittsburgh is solid in all facets of special teams. i don't think this is enough to predict a patriots loss in any individual matchups except the bills [i think we can safely assume they lose to pitt and the bolts but that's due to several other factors] but it is enough to say, hey, those other teams have a SIGNIFICANTLY better shot at the upset than you think they do.

FIVE. i rarely put much stock in statistics. i'm a gut feeling kind of guy. but one stat stood out to me in the media clusterfuck that has been brady-less coverage the last few days, and that's that belichick's record is 41-57 without brady.

forty one wins, fifty seven losses.

i have done more than my share of talking trash on all members of this team and will rarely admit even the obvious statements if they make these bastards sound good, but even i have to admit there was more than a system making brady good. he is not replaceable by just anyone--definitely not sam, i mean, matt cassel. you need to lay off the pineapple express if you think the surrounding cast can elevate this team to another playoff berth. the defense is nothing to be afraid of anymore. the running game is good, but not much above average. the passing game probably just became the third best in the afc east. at a certain point, you've got to come to terms with the fact that this team isn't good now. they were in for a decline this year EVEN WITH brady. and i understand stubbornness; i thought quincy carter was gonna bring home a 'ship for the cowboys there for awhile [he now can't even win in the arena football league] and hell i still think the cowboys are gonna win a playoff game again before i die. but i think it's about timo for boston fans to get those paul pierce jerseys on already.

(Random note: I remember going to Brady's first start, back at Old Foxboro in '01. With Bledsoe out, the Pats already 0-2, and facing the Colts, this game was supposed to be the blowout that sent them into a destructive spiral.)

(Pats 44, Indy 13. There's your blowout.)

This has all the makings of a similar game: division rivals, a sizeable mismatch at QB, and a Pats defense in need of a monster effort to prove themselves.

Still, times have changed, and Matt Cassell is probably not Tom Brady. I'll say Pats, 20-13.

this isn't a place for reminiscing about good things that have happened to the patriots....REMEMBER. for every

(Random note: I remember going to Brady's first start, back at Old Foxboro in '01. With Bledsoe out, the Pats already 0-2, and facing the Colts, this game was supposed to be the blowout that sent them into a destructive spiral.)

(Pats 44, Indy 13. There's your blowout.)

there's a

choking.jpg

here's the problem with the patriots now, with brady out of the way cassel will come in, and over his career he has given 36 yards on sacks, anyway this shows that his pocket presence for now is poor, then he has consistently shown that he cannot thow for long gains in the past, his complletion percentage comes to about 60 percent, he also reads his line very poorly which means that a high percentage of sacks, and yards lost are inevitable should the defensive lines penetrate. So as long as the opposing defense pressures the run, and the quarter back, New England cannot go anywhere, this has been the case consistently in the past, as well as the present. This means that until he can develop good pocket presence, and throw for the long gains New England will lose, and these problems will probably not work themselves out until the later half of the season if at all, so New England is not going anywhere this year.

its too early to tell where the hell NE is going this year

tomorrow should decide that (i'm going to laugh if someone takes a hit at Cassell's knee)

if cassel is injured then NE is looking at one of the worst NE seasons in NE history.

Actually, probably not. The performance gap between Tom Brady and Matt Cassel is much greater than between Matt Cassel and whoever they'd pick up (Chris Simms, or maybe Daunte Cullpepper if they can coax him out of retirement).

lawd, culpepper-moss again would be crazy.

they were the ones that set the single season scoring record that last years pats broke