Sign in to follow this  
Dougie's Goin Deep

Michigan 7 Week vs. Northwestern/DDI

The most obvious advantage (or disadvantage) of Seven Week Juniors is the length. The camp won't burn you out, but you have to decide if you're dedicated enough to debate to go the full seven weeks.

That said:

-The staff is awesome. Regardless of which lab you're in, you'll get lab leaders who are focused and hardworking.

-The workload is within reason. It's not an evidence sweatshop (although you are forming the base of most files that schools across the country will be using).

-The competition is nothing but the best. You'll get significant practice debate time and skills work.

Check out the website, too. It'll give you a better description than I can.

I'm thinking about going to 7 week Juniors... what are the advantages/disadvantages of going there versus NU or DDI? And, is there two different labs of juniors?

NU is phenomenol =o

the lab leaders are definitely the best in the country no doubt (no offense to anyone else :P!)

tristan won the ndt 2x with josh branson and copeland award winners 2x -- they were both lab leaders. JP won the ndt and was extremely good -- lab leader. antonucci is the coach and lexington -- great guy. Chris lendburg -- awsome coach, very funny, and has a ton of experience in debate.

Those were just some of the lab leaders, and I think NU has the best preparation for the year out of all the camps. Unfortunately it costs a ton -- 4000, which may be the reason I dont go back this year. Loved the instruction though!

I don't think your lab leaders' wins help YOU win debates.

Faculty at Michigan = pwng and very very dedicated.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

7 week is a pretty amazing camp, regardless of what lab you are in. There is a good balance of research, lectures, practice speeches/debates, speed drills, strategy formation, etc. I had the best time there--Ann Arbor and the campus of Umich is also awesome because theres a lot of places to eat and just hang out (yea law quad!). The experience is a lot of fun, with a lot of hard work. But its really worth it. PM me if you have further questions

Maria

I'm thinking about going to 7 week Juniors... what are the advantages/disadvantages of going there versus NU or DDI? And, is there two different labs of juniors?

Wow......A camp thread appears when it seems as though debate camp ended yesterday.......

Go to 7 Weeks:

- Dedicated Lab Leaders

- A vast amount of resources

- Lifelong friendships

• Downvote 1