Sign in to follow this  
Beccasaurus

[AFF] PATHWAYS & GGR

PATH: Can someone explain it to me? I don't know what the case is about.

GGR: I just don't know what the rule is, and what they're doing. I think it involves not sending aid to any establishment that performs abortion. & they're repealing it, correct?

Anyone who has any information on these please help =]

The key to the PATHWAY Act is that it legislates GWB solving all the problems with current policy involving HIV in sub-Saharan Africa (well really the whole world but because of the resolution, we just talk sSA usually).

"Not later than 180 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the President shall formulate and submit to the appropriate congressional committees, and make available to the public, a comprehensive, integrated, and culturally relevant global HIV prevention strategy that addresses the vulnerabilities of married and unmarried women and girls to HIV infection and seeks to reduce the factors that lead to gender disparities in the rate of HIV infection. The strategy shall encompass comprehensive health and HIV prevention education at the individual and population level beyond the ABC model (`Abstain, Be faithful, use Condoms') as a means to reduce HIV infections and shall include the following strategies:"

So the Act clearly creates an awesome policy, since the President has to make up one that fits their million requirements:

• (1) Empowering women and girls to avoid cross-generational sex and to decide when and whom to marry in order to reduce the incidence of early- or child-marriage.

• (2) Dramatically increasing access to currently available female-controlled prevention methods and including investments in training to increase the effective and consistent use of both male and female condoms.

• (3) Accelerating the destigmatization of HIV/AIDS, as women are generally at a disadvantage in combating stigma.

• (4) Addressing and preventing the consequences of gender based violence and rape against women and girls.

• (5) Promoting male attitudes and behavior that respect the human rights of women and girls and that support and foster gender equality.

• (6) Supporting the development of micro-enterprise initiatives, job training programs, and other such efforts to assist women in developing and retaining independent economic means.

• (7) Supporting expanded educational opportunities for women and girls.

• (8) Protecting the property and inheritance rights of women.

• (9) Coordinating HIV prevention information and education services and programs for people living with HIV/AIDS with existing health care services targeted to women and girls, such as family planning, comprehensive reproductive health services, and programs to reduce the transmission of HIV between parents and children, and expanding the reach of such health services.

• (10) Promoting gender equality by supporting the development of civil society organizations focused on the needs of women and utilizing such organizations that are already empowering women and girls at the community level.

• (11) Encouraging the creation and effective enforcement of legal frameworks that guarantee women equal rights and equal protection under the law.

• (12) Encouraging the participation and involvement of women in drafting, coordinating, and implementing the national HIV/AIDS strategic plans of their countries.

• (13) Responding to other economic and social factors that increase the vulnerability of women and girls to HIV infection.

• Downvote 1

PATH: Can someone explain it to me? I don't know what the case is about.

GGR: I just don't know what the rule is, and what they're doing. I think it involves not sending aid to any establishment that performs abortion. & they're repealing it, correct?

Anyone who has any information on these please help =]

ggr = global gag rule

in 2001 bush issued an xo that said that no u.s. money can go to any organizations that promote abortion as a form of family planning, even if that u.s. money isn't used for that purpose. for example, if an ngo uses money from britain to promote abortions as family planning and uses u.s. money to buy contraceptives, the gag rule would still restrict our funding to them.

being an xo, any violation (for lack of a better word) of the gag rule overturns it (i'm almost positive on this point - anyone else want to confirm?)

hope that helped

ggr = global gag rule

in 2001 bush issued an xo that said that no u.s. money can go to any organizations that promote abortion as a form of family planning, even if that u.s. money isn't used for that purpose. for example, if an ngo uses money from britain to promote abortions as family planning and uses u.s. money to buy contraceptives, the gag rule would still restrict our funding to them.

being an xo, any violation (for lack of a better word) of the gag rule overturns it (i'm almost positive on this point - anyone else want to confirm?)

hope that helped

Still kind of confused...

Is there any neg evidence on it?

ggr = global gag rule

hope that helped

Technically, it was an executive memorandum (a glorified Post-It Note on the metaphorical budget manilla folder).

But yes, there's plenty of negative evidence on it. Check the Michigan 7 Week Aff and Neg files (and supplements).

Most of the negative evidence revolves around:

-Culture in SSA can't be overcome (abortions won't happen/education won't solve problems) and numerous other obstacles.

-Offering abortions is colonialist (I never said the evidence was good, just that it existed)

-Abortions are still illegal in a majority of SSA countries, which the plan can't overturn.

I know that by the senate making an amendment to provide aid to foreign NGOs the Mexico City Policy will be repealed. An amendment into the Foreign House Appropriations Act has the ability to overturn an executive order.

Sign in to follow this