Eric_W.

Question about what something means? Ask here!

Great thanks.

Another question: "C/A" comes up frequently in vdebates on topicality.

what does it mean?

Possibly Cross-Apply. That's just my guess.

WHen someone says, "Perm do the plan and noncompetitive pats of the alt, what do they mean?"

Something vague that they can't explain beyond "we can do the plan and whatever parts of the alt that aren't mutually exclusive" and somehow this proves a double bind from their perspective.

What is ontological damnation or ontological clearing, I read a ton of it in some Zimmerman cards and I just wanted to know what it was before running it.

Possibly Cross-Apply. That's just my guess.

Your guess is correct. Using "C/A" is useful in a vdebate because word/letter limits require debaters to be more effiecient with he way they argue hings. Just like time constraints limit you in real debates

What is IR? What is role-playing?

IR-International Relations

Role Playing- Pretending to be in a different position. Most used in the context of pretending to be policy makers such as the president.

IR-International Relations

So Fem IR is Feminism International Relations?

Role Playing- Pretending to be in a different position. Most used in the context of pretending to be policy makers such as the president.

How can I use this against a kritik?

So Fem IR is Feminism International Relations?

When you hear Fem IR in a round, it tends to mean a feminist critique of current modes of IR.

How can I use this against a kritik?

Roleplaying as policymakers is good. The general reason is that you learn political advocacy skills. You can find the same few arguments for roleplaying good in a framework file.

Edited by SpiderCat

Roleplaying as policymakers is good. The general reason is that you learn political advocacy skills. You can find the same few arguments for roleplaying good in a framework file.

So can I use this against any kritik? Do kritik's essentially leech away from roleplaying, since they're issues that policymakers aren't concerned with?

What does "E-Prime" mean?

Better question: What is E-Prime? That was amusing because it is annoying to E-Prime advocates, of which there are probably about five.

I don't remember the specifics, but E-Prime takes issue with describing things in terms of "is" or any of the various grammatical forms of "is", such as are or was.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

switch side debating deals with traditional debate structure i.e. your aff-neg debate; a benefit of this sort of structure could be more education, approaching a stance and debating its usefulness while arguing its harms allows you to get a double sided view and potentially learn things you didnt know before

A couple of questions:

Wipeout?

Spark?

I have heard these terms used in some of my rounds and by some teammates just wondering what they mean. Thanks

Spark?

It's an assortment of arguments that a nuclear war wouldn't cause extinction.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's an assortment of arguments that a nuclear war wouldn't cause extinction.

Spark is more than just, nuclear war won't cause extinction, that is only one part of it. Spark is an argument saying that nuclear war is good. It generally goes that right now industrial civilization is expanding so fast, that it's killing of a large number of animal species each year. At this rate, expansion of industry will lead to extinction by 2040, because at this rate we will kill up to 30,000 species per year. So people running spark say that we should let the aff's nuclear war happen, because it will not cause extinction, and it will also destroy expansion of industrial civilization, which would solve for extinction. So it is more ethical, and also more utilitarian to let nuclear war happen now, to solve long-term extinction.

• Upvote 3

Many of the Wipeout impact arguments about technology destroying the universe can be solved by Spark, but not many debaters seem to realize this.

Kinky.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Quick question. (good description preferred) When is the right time to run a counterplan? How do you know when a counterplan is viable to run?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Quick question. (good description preferred) When is the right time to run a counterplan? How do you know when a counterplan is viable to run?

It depends on what kind/which CP you're running. Many generic ones can be used for every or most cases (Agent CPs, Consult/Co-op CP, Advantage Cps, etc.) while others are very specific (use/change solvency mechanism, case specific PICs).

Basically, depending on your circuit and judge of course, run counterplans whenever you want to and feel comfortable doing so. If you're going to run one you should be very familiar with the argument and the evidence you are using, especially if you plan to run it many times throughout the season. Using a DA as a net benefit should give you a back-up if you really screw up the argumentation on the counterplan. Most counterplans are fairly simple so don't feel frightened by them.

Although many disagree, I think a counterplan should be run if it can operate as both a stand alone argument (i.e. without a net benefits disad) and if it can operate with other arguments to form a more coherent negative policy option (i.e with disads).

The reasoning is simple - if your CP depends on the disad for competitiveness and you lose the disad, the CP is irrelevant. Therefore in those situations, if I were the aff, I would attack the disad and ignore the CP and allow you to have wasted a minute of your 1nc. Thanks for letting the aff go deeper on the disad. But if it is a standalone argument, then the aff cannot ignore the CP and must vigorously attack it AND defend case.

• Upvote 3

How does Jackson Vanik piss off Russia? And when, if ever, are we going to repeal it?

How does Jackson Vanik piss off Russia? And when, if ever, are we going to repeal it?

This definitely won't be the best answer that you can get here, but since it's election season, I thought that I might as well try to answer it since it doesn't really matter for now.

It's a bill from the Cold War era that put a lot of trade sanctions on the Soviet Union. This meant that the US couldn't conduct normal trade with the USSR. The actual requirements are based on human rights issues.

So, it's this thing from the Cold War that symbolizes a lot of hostility and enmity between two former opponents. The fact is that, in the current system, Jackson-Vanik still restricts trade with the modern Russian country. The question, then, is why hasn't it been repealed if we're supposed to be allies with Russia (which we are) and if we don't believe that they have any human rights issues (eh...no significant violations, anyways). The fact that it hasn't has led Russia to feel that the US is giving Russia a kind of snub nose or whatnot to them.

Obviously, the impact is Russian relations (which are already in the crapper from other issues, making this non-unique).