Eric_W.

Question about what something means? Ask here!

Let's say if the Aff kills all bad people- the CP kills all bad people BUT Donald Trump and - any perm that tests competition would involve sparing Donald Trump, which severs from the word "all" in the Aff plan text. They become a moving target because when they sever from their plan, they aren't obliged to stick to what originally said.

• Upvote 1

What's straight turning? I was Aff once and the judge told me it was smart that I "straight turned the opponents arg" but I didn't/don't know what it meant! 

It meant you impact turned or link turned their argument. It meant that you only put offense on that flow with no defense.

Edited by tommy949

I know this is a dumb question. But what is QPQ? I'm having hard time understand what conditional and unconditional have to do with it.

QPQ in the sense of the topic is kinda where the US rewards China with positive incentives for doing an action for/with them.

Quid pro quo. I give you a birthday present with the expectation you'll remember to give me a birthday present sometime later in the year.

• Upvote 1

On here I see a lot of school debates, but I haven't seen any novice or JV debates just Open; is there a rule against novice and JV debating or is it because open is where you can use different types of evidence without being restricted to certain rules in JV and novice? Thanks for helping me out

Pretty sure its an open forum where anyone can hit anyone. but you can specify if you want a certain type of debate. Like if youre a novice you can request to hit another novice.OR if you want to hit a K Aff you simply request it.  

I was hit by a team from a certain "crossings christian' school who mentioned the D-Rule over and over again... What is the D-Rule?

If an impact is a D(ecision)-rule it basically means "If I win this impact you vote for me regardless of any other impact"

Think of it like a Role of the Ballot (not as popular in policy as in LD but oh well). If I win the role of the ballot, you vote for me, no matter what. A d-rule is the same deal just structured as an impact instead of a framing arg.

what is a warrent?

Basically just the explanation or evidential lines within the card that elaborate on the tag of the card. 

What is a thumper? As in a politics da? Is there a way to search through this whole forum without reading every post?

Thanks

What is "k proper"?

The actual substance of the K as opposed to overview or some other tangential argument like framework

What is a thumper? As in a politics da? Is there a way to search through this whole forum without reading every post?

Thanks

Dk about the search question, but a thumper is a big event that has happened recently that would have already triggered the ptx da impact and thus nonuniques it. 

How do you run a CP, I have one that I got from open evidence and another that I got from a varsity team at my team, but I have no idea how to run them. My partner and I tried once but we got demolished, we also didn't really know what the CP was really talking about so that made it worse. Do you think we should use CP or just stick to attacking the AFFs case? 

what cp are you planning to run?

47 minutes ago, ThatOneGirl said:

How do you run a CP, I have one that I got from open evidence and another that I got from a varsity team at my team, but I have no idea how to run them. My partner and I tried once but we got demolished, we also didn't really know what the CP was really talking about so that made it worse. Do you think we should use CP or just stick to attacking the AFFs case? 

in order to argue and win with a cp, you need to have a net benefit over the aff plan and the perm (doing some combination of the cp and the aff)

some cps have nbs directly tied to them, others need to be ran with a disad

3 hours ago, AlistairTheKDebater said:

in order to argue and win with a cp, you need to have a net benefit over the aff plan and the perm (doing some combination of the cp and the aff)

some cps have nbs directly tied to them, others need to be ran with a disad

Thanks this makes a lot more sense than when the older guys in my school tried to explain it to me.