TheBrain

Breifing?

Alright, when I debated (three years ago) I don't recall ever writing a brief as a novice. I was wondering if someone could fill me in on how to do this, or if it's even necessary? I was teaching my Novices and I ran across it and I was like "Well... I've never done THAT"

If someone could help me out, I'd appreciate it.

Alright, when I debated (three years ago) I don't recall ever doing research as a novice. I was wondering if someone could fill me in on how to do this, or if it's even necessary? I was teaching my Novices and I ran across it and I was like "Well... I've never done THAT"

• Downvote 1

Alright, when I debated (three years ago) I don't recall ever doing research as a novice. I was wondering if someone could fill me in on how to do this, or if it's even necessary? I was teaching my Novices and I ran across it and I was like "Well... I've never done THAT"

Haha. Owned.

Alright, when I debated (three years ago) I don't recall ever writing a brief as a novice. I was wondering if someone could fill me in on how to do this, or if it's even necessary? I was teaching my Novices and I ran across it and I was like "Well... I've never done THAT"

See question and answer #5 in the Cross-x FAQ.

That should give you plenty of information. Come back with any questions and we'll be glad to help.

But really, the best way to learn is by experience. Pick a case that you think you're going to hit, and try your best to write a neg file. It doesn't matter if it's crappy on your first try. You'll nail it on the second try. It's just how debate works.

I wrote my own briefs and even a CP when I was a novice. I started out with handbooks of evidence, hand-picked the best cards, wrote my own taglines for them, and assembled them in a logical and meaningful order.

There are two phases to writing briefs: research (gathering evidence) and the actual writing of the brief. If your novices have access to handbooks, most of the research work is already done. All that remains is to pick the most appropriate card(s) for each point you want to make in your brief. If you want to focus on just the writing part, look into getting them started with handbooks to reduce the learning curve. Keep in mind that handbooks are notorious for junk evidence, so they still have to put in some effort to examine each card to determine the quality of the source and whether it supports or potentially contradicts their arguments.

If you want to teach them how to do their own research beyond just the predigested handbook evidence, Tomak's link is a good place to start. It will be more challenging and time consuming than my first suggestion, but it will teach them valuable skills they can use outside of debate.