Trobaugh

Obama blocked Colbert?

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2007/11/06/obama-supporters-pressed-democratic-party-officials-to-keep-colbert-off-ballot/#more-2924

I am not sure that the Obama campgain was the only reason that Colbert got blocked in South Carolina but this woman

Another Obama endorser who regularly appears at campaign events, state Rep. Bakari Sellers, also made phone calls to members of the party's executive council about Colbert, according to Sellers.

"I placed the calls as a concerned Democrat, realizing that we are a country in despair," Sellers told CNN. "It is not a time for games or to make a mockery of the process."

is crazy. We need people like Colbert to show rest of the country how flawed the system is. Most people are not paying attention to the fact that if you can't raise hundreds of millions of dollars (or have it on your own) then you cannot be president in this country.

• Upvote 1

colbert is revolutionary. that guy is crazy. but cool. thank gosh for someone like him. the system in the US is so screwed, it's taken (231 years) for some light to be shed on this problem. the gore/bush election helped a bit too.

This reminds me of an article I read this morning while I was reading Slate magazine, as I do.

http://slate.com/blogs/blogs/trailhead/archive/2007/11/06/obama-s-colbert-scare.aspx

Obama's Colbert Scare

Party Pooper of the Day award goes to Inez Tenenbaum and Rep. Bakari Sellers, two Obama supporters in South Carolina who phoned the state’s Democratic Party to oppose Stephen Colbert’s inclusion on the ballot. It shows how secretly nervous Democrats were, even as they pretended to laugh along with Colbert. Just look at the Obama campaign’s statement to Politico’s Mike Allen today: “We will always respect Colbert's willingness to speak truthiness to power.” But, the statement doesn’t say: We also have an election to win.

The campaign denied any connection to the phone calls. But there was no way that Obama, whose campaign is focusing heavily on getting young people to the polls, would let a joke candidacy—even a funny one—get between him and the nomination. And it’s not like pressure from Tenenbaum and Sellers sealed the deal, either. The state party’s executive council voted 13-3 against putting Colbert on the ballot. He never had a chance. But I would have loved to see this story drag out, if only to watch the campaigns play along in public while frantically trying to sabotage it behind closed doors.

• Downvote 1

the mockery was his entire point, but not for shits and giggles. it was a criticism of the elections. his main point was, if we all knew he wasn't a comedian, would he really look any more ridiculous than the majority of the candidates?

there was a great article about this in "The Week" about two weeks ago, I'll see if I can pull it up online.

EDIT: here's the article

Stephen Colbert: Who’s kidding whom?

The satirist who portrays a “fulminating right-wing blowhard” on late-night cable is taking the next logical step, said Howard Kurtz in The Washington Post. He’s running for president. It’s all a joke—mostly. Comedy Central’s Stephen Colbert really is trying to get on the ballot in his home state of South Carolina, because, he explained, “I defy any other candidate to pander more to the people of South Carolina.” Colbert’s candidacy, though, is about more than the usual political gags, said James Poniewozik in Time.com. With his moronically simplistic rhetoric and indignant self-righteousness, Colbert takes viewers into a hall of mirrors, where the “real” candidates look no less ridiculous. When Colbert the faux candidate, for example, said he decided to run because America is at an “unprecedented” juncture, his “empty bluster” sounded strangely familiar. “If Mitt Romney or John Edwards had said the same thing, would anyone have batted an eye?”

Nope, said D. Parvaz in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. Indeed, by positioning himself as what he calls the “white, male, middle aged, Jesus-trumpeting alternative,” Colbert only makes the panderings of Romney, Rudy Giuliani, and Fred Thompson seem that much more painful. Sure, Colbert’s candidacy is a self-serving stunt, said the Chicago Sun-Times in an editorial. But “at a time when nothing threatens presidential candidates as much as the possibility of a spontaneous moment,” Colbert’s unpredictable wit may be just what this stultifying campaign needs.

Maybe so, but bloviating politicians won’t be the only casualties, said David Carr in The New York Times. Colbert’s gift is his uncanny ability to “mimic and amplify the tics of political convention,” thus exposing the empty pomposity of White House correspondents, political pundits, and Sunday talk-show hosts. Along with fellow political satirist Jon Stewart, Colbert has convinced millions of people under 50 “that network news and talk shows are every bit as fake, and not nearly as funny, as The Daily Show and The Colbert Report.” In an “eerie” interview last week, Tim Russert of NBC’s Meet the Press tried to show he’s in on the joke by interviewing Colbert about his presidential run. But as a deadpan Colbert parried and evaded Russert’s mock-serious questions, it seemed no less a game than the interviews Russert conducts with the real candidates. “Everybody is asking, ‘Is this real?’” Colbert said, with a meaningful glint in his eye. “And to which I would say to everybody, ‘This is not a dream. You’re not going to wake up from this.’”

• Upvote 1

When you take a political science methods class, they usually point out that regular ways of conducting experiments don't really work for what should be obvious ethical reasons.

Colbert didn't need to make it to actual date of the primary vote to do show the problems with how we elect people. The people who would care about his candidacy have already been fed the sarcastic gospel. The people who don't care weren't going to vote for him anyway, and the people that already know the system is flawed wouldn't vote for him because it wouldn't solve crap.

So trying for the nomination is a cool bit of performance art, but...take your vote seriously.

• Upvote 1

Why couldn't Colbert run on the Republican ticket?

I think he could have, but it cost a lot more to run for Republicans than Democrats.