RKay

2008-09 Final topics announced

Just in....

health care

Resolved: The United States federal government should establish a universal health care system in the United States.

alternative energy

Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially increase alternative energy incentives in the United States.

Thoughts?

I see a large lack of case ground in the health care system. How many different ways are there to establish universal health care that dont get the same advantages as the others.

Health care would be excellent. There is a ton of case ground, at least there was back in '94 when I debated it. I'd just love to bring out the 'ole back files again.

Health Care is totally sweet. Especially as compared to the alternative energy topic which has functionally no limit on the aff.

Univeral Health Care is a more specific term of art. The fact that alternative energy incentives is nowhere near specific enough. Plus 'incentives' have the potential to make it bidirectional.

in terms of what?

specifying which renewables wouldn't be all that great, and most affs wouldn't spec anyway so that they could perm any cp's...

i'm not sure which mechanism pics there would be, since the alt to incentives would be a hardline approach; the bizcon disad to hardline alone makes it a tough sell. i could see a renewable portfolio standard possibly being an option, but that has its own drawbacks.

i might be missing something, what were you thinking of kunal?

Why is everyone so jazzed about health care? It's not a broad resolution, so it forces you deep into the minutiae of boring policy. I never get why people remember that resolution fondly. I'm still trying to forget the details of Oregon Rationing.

I'm thinking of writing a topic paper for the next go-round. Anyone know anything about South America? I don't, and that makes me think it would be a good resolution.

Why is everyone so jazzed about health care? It's not a broad resolution, so it forces you deep into the minutiae of boring policy. I never get why people remember that resolution fondly. I'm still trying to forget the details of Oregon Rationing.

I'm thinking of writing a topic paper for the next go-round. Anyone know anything about South America? I don't, and that makes me think it would be a good resolution.

So what, a topic has to be broad to be good for you? Universal health care, that can be more than just Oregon v. Canada v. Britain ya know. I can think of at least 10 topical cases off the top of my head. You could go alternative, catastrophic, or just simply prescription drug coverage. Just cuz there isn't a hegemonic war waiting around the corner doesn't mean it's not a good topic. Oh wait, this is debate, I'm sure there will somehow still be a hegemonic war waiting somewhere anyhow.

Every year doesn't have to be an international topic. Domestic topics can be just as much fun. Just cuz the latest issue of the North Korean Straights Tribune Evening Edition or some other obscure publication won't be carrying your latest uniqueness on Lichtenstein-Vatican relations doesn't mean it won't make for a good debate.

Whoa, went on a rant there..

• Upvote 1

Craig, yes a topic has to be broad in order to interest me. I remember the last time we had this resolution, and I remember how boring it got after about October when everyone's been to a half dozen tournaments and realizes that it's hard to get enough impact diversity on the affirmative to compete against disadvantaes. I can think of more than ten topical cases, although that isn't the standard for broad I would use. I can think of six topical versions of single payer, but that doesn't create impact diversity. Rerun resolutions are generally a bad idea. Narrow, absolutely predictable, dry rerun resolutions are even worse ideas.

I'm sure a year of biz con and politics disads and poorly cut solvency turns will be especially edifying. Also, it might behoove you to familiarize yourself with the meaning of the term UHC prior to the beginning of prep time in June.* Drugs, for example, aren't care. If they were, giving ten feet of gauze to all permanent residents of the US would be topical. Free spaying and neutering services is topical too, so maybe that will just be the way we have to go in order to make this resolution interesting.

I don't actually care to discuss it very in depth, since it was pretty obvious from the discussions via email etc that this was going to be the resolution from a couple months back. It's just disappointing that we won't get to do something new, and instead will revisit perhaps the most underwhelming resolution of the past two decades. But at least we can hear nursing shortages and iatrogenesis disads again.

*This is the part where I am a genius for a couple of lines.

alt energy would make for some sweet CPs though.

It would continue the trend of, "Why is the U.S. key?" That's become the focus of many of this years debates and another year would be dull. Though how many different affirmatives are there with health care?

Craig, yes a topic has to be broad in order to interest me.

Depth v. Breadth ain't just a T argument, eh? lol.. fair enough Dan.

I think these repeat topics (topics that were recently college topics but are now High School Topics) such as energy unfairly disadvantage smaller schools that don't have access to the relatively recent research that has already been conducted by college debaters. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that a team that a larger program with coaches or assistant coaches that have debated the energy topic makes the research burden must easier on the high school debaters. I guess I don't understand why they aren't enough new and innovative topics with literature that we haven't had on the college or high school circuit (at least in the past 10-15 years). Not that energy isn't a great topic, because I think it is an incredibly relevant topic with a huge upside. The problem lies in the lost education (which is what debate should be about, or so I've heard). Some debaters will surely rely heavily on college archives and not do their own research. A new topic would force high schoolers to do at least some topic specific research and would force them to think of new and innovative cases and negative strategies.

• Upvote 1

South America would be great. I have no problem alternating domestic policy and foreign policy resolutions every year. We have had to debate a health related topic 2 of the last 7 years, so I'm rooting for the alternative energy next year. I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of China topic sometime. Maybe it's time to revisit a juvenile crime/poverty topic also.

i like energy because there's so much more you can do with it and it would be a lot more interesting. and who cares if it was a college topic? so it might be a bit more of a challenge for smaller schools, big deal.

I think these repeat topics (topics that were recently college topics but are now High School Topics) such as energy unfairly disadvantage smaller schools that don't have access to the relatively recent research that has already been conducted by college debaters.

The NDCA evidence project will go a long way to mitigating this problem. Still, amen brudda, because I think more interesting new cases would pop up during the year on a topic that had no relation to college topics. Camps are often lazy about what args they put out, and given that most camps are staffed by 80+% college debate people they will put out college topic args if they can get away with it.

I still don't see how Health Care is a very broad resolution, and we'll be seeing variations of the same case over and over again. I think that alt energy would lend itself to more interesting debate

Still, those two were my two least favorite topics of the five potential topics.

Craig, yes a topic has to be broad in order to interest me. I remember the last time we had this resolution, and I remember how boring it got after about October when everyone's been to a half dozen tournaments and realizes that it's hard to get enough impact diversity on the affirmative to compete against disadvantaes.

That was before it was generally accepted that global warming will kill us all. On the energy topics affs can claim Global Warming, FoPo, and Economy advantages.

im predicting alternative energy will win that one more cases, and a large research area. funny that the collegiate ld topic for last year was almost the exact same. O.o.

I think that the national energy incentives will make for more interesting debate and is more relevent to what is actually going on in our world right now. I can see a lot of global warming advantages though.