RKay

2008-09 Final topics announced

This just in from the NFHS

Top 2 topics for 2008-09

Health care

Resolved: The United States federal government should establish a universal health care system in the United States.

Alternative energy

Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially increase alternative energy incentives in the United States.

• Upvote 1

the first one isnt only vague but weak and pointless there are only a few affs as i see it i guess its energy then. Oh well i was really hoping it would be central asia :(

I'm not too psyched about the terms used in the health care resolution. And "incentives" in the energy topic make it pretty broad.

if the energy topic is chosen i can't wait for kiddies to read like ethanol solves global warming. ahah

and i think the word universal in the health care rez is dumbtarded.

lmfao - ethanol solves. xD

I think Alt Energy will be an interesting topic, with a lot of sketchy impact scenarios I imagine, possibly some modeling arguments on the policy front...

something about domestic topics just doesn't get me excited though, idk.

can anyone think of a very unique critical lit base for alt energy?

It's not unique but the topic is open to the plethora of environmental based critiques. Heck, you're talking about critical lit... there's not much left that debate hasn't incorporated already.

This domestic topic will include a lot of international issues via the modeling and perception of US policy on alt. energy.

I predict the standard aff advs will be global warming, heg (soft power, maybe for some affs hard power), and economy.

haha, healthcare will be so foucault :D :D panopticon!

incentives in the other one seems that it could allow many different cases that would get them out of effects t though..

Instead of a direct increase in energy they can just provide incentives such as money...that would be very stupid =(

There's no Aff ground on the health care resolution. How many types of universal health care are there?

The way a plan implements the HCS will be the issue along with the level of services offered (basic vs. full-coverage).

haha' date=' healthcare will be so foucault :D :D panopticon!

incentives in the other one seems that it could allow many different cases that would get them out of effects t though..

Instead of a direct increase in energy they can just provide incentives such as money...that would be very stupid =([/quote']

With "incentives" teams that try and directly affect energy will actually not be topical under my interpretation of the topic. Sounds like a very objectivist friendly topic.

energy was my initial choice anyway and me and a couple ppl actually hav an idea for an aff already, although the "incentives" db8 will prbly get quite frustrating

Aff position could be an indictment of Western Medicine's reliance on allopathy, advocating homeopathy and/or osteopathy instead.

Holy shit, I hope not. I've heard some pretty ridiculous stuff in debate, but nothing comes close to the pseudoscience of homeopathy. Man, that stuff is so obstinately ignorant, it makes me angry just thinking about it in debate rounds.

Either of those topics will be fine. Health care would probably be narrower, but that's okay. I think we would see a lot of PIC debates based on the word universal: exclude natives, exclude the military, exclude Christian Scientists . . .

I like energy topics. The last one was very good, with lots of good policy and critical positions.

From a first glance standpoint, I hope the Alternative Energy topic wins, mainly because I can't think of many topical cases with good solvency advocates (most violate the word "universal") for the Health Care topic.

-Why would the University of Michigan Medical School invest resources in it then?

-Sublingual nitroglycerin for angina attacks is homeopathic.

-Read this:

"Medical monopoly: the game nobody wins - excerpt from 'Reclaiming Our Health: Exploding the Medical Myth and Embracing the Source of True Healing'" (John Robbins).

Vegetarian Times (October 1996):

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0820/is_n230/ai_18696325

-The UMich school did, but then cut the program in the 19th century. Hardly counts as proof of the success of homeopathy.

-Nitrates aren't at all, and I don't know where you got that. Homeopathy isn't just using small dosages; it's the belief that smaller dosages are more potent, that if 1 molecule of medicine in 100,000 molecules of water is 100 times more powerful than 1 molecule of medicine in 1,000 molecules of water. If this isn't already clearly ridiculous, I have to wonder about your mental stability.

The Robbins cite you provide borders on intellectual dishonesty on your part. It's about chiropracty. I don't know if you didn't expect me to actually read it or what, but that's pretty low. And even then, it's pretty bad, just indicting the credibility of the AMA, and never providing ANY double-blind studies that prove the success of any alternative medicines.

I'd encourage you to take a look at some of the surveys of studies that have been performed on homeopathy. There have been some published studies that show the success of homeopathy, but all have been flawed in some way and nearly all have been performed by people selling homeopathic remedies. A brief list of those surveys for your reading pleasure:

1. Kleijnen J et al. “Clinical trials of homeopathy.” Br Med J. 302, 6772:316-23, 1991.

2. Linde K et al. “Critical review and meta-analysis of serial agitated dilutions in experimental toxicology.” Hum Exp Toxicol. 13, 7:481-92, 1994.

3. Linde K et al. “Are the clinical effects of homeopathy placebo effects? A meta-analysis of placebo-controlled trials.” Lancet. 350, 9081:834-43, 1997.

4. Vallance AK. “Can biological activity be maintained at ultra-high dilution? An overview of homeopathy, evidence, and Bayesian philosophy.” J Altern Complement Med. 4, 1:49-76, 1998.]

5. Reilly D. “The puzzle of homeopathy.” J Altern Complement Med. 7 Suppl 1:S103-9, 2001.

6. Vickers A et al. “Can homeopaths detect homeopathic medicines? A pilot study for a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled investigation of the proving hypothesis.” Br Homeopath J. 90, 3:126-30, 2001.

7. Shealy, CN et al. “Osteoarthritic pain: a comparison of homeopathy and acetaminophen.” Am J Pain Management. 8, 3:89-91, 1998.

8. Weiser M et al. “Homeopathic vs. conventional treatment of vertigo.” Arch Otolaryngol. 124, 8:879-85, 1998.

9. Taylor MA et al. “Randomized controlled trial of homeopathy versus placebo in perennia allergic rhinitis with overview of four trial series.” Br Med J. 321, 7259:471-6, 2000.

10. Reilly DT et al. “Is homeopathy a placebo response? Controlled trial of homeopathic potency, with pollen in hayfever as a model.” Lancet. 2, 8512:881-6, 1986.

11. Kleijnen J. “What research is needed to show the effectiveness of homeopathy.” Br Homeopath J. 89, Suppl 1:S1-2, 2000.

12. Jacobs J et al. “Treatment of acute childhood diarrhea with homeopathic medicine: a randomized clinical trial in Nicaragua.” Pediatrics. 93, 5:719-25, 1994.

13. Jacobs J et al. “Homeopathy for childhood diarrhea: combined results and metaanalysis from three randomized, controlled clinical trials.” Ped Infect Dis J. 22, 3:229-34, 2003.

14. Friese KH et al. “[Acute otitis media in children. Comparison between conventional and homeopathic therapy.]” (Article in German.) HNO. 44, 8:462-6, 1996.

15. White A et al. “Individualised homeopathy as an adjunct in the treatment of childhood asthma: a randomized placebo controlled trial.” Thorax. 58:317-21, 2003.

I wasn't a fan of asia, because it was just this resolution, part II. I was hoping for energy and a rewording of the resolution. I can think of 1 case under the health care topic, and it's the resolution.

Um, you guys DO know what homeopathy is, right?

It's where you take a substance (say, arsenic) that causes negative symptoms in a healthy person (say, vomiting), dilute it as much as you can (sometimes up to the point where there's only a 1 in 10 chance of a single atom of the original substance being in the medicine), and then give it to a sick person with those symptoms (vomiting.)

They literally give insomniacs caffeine. How fucked up is that?

Seriously, look it up.

I'll spare y'all the research time and just direct you to a quote from the Wikipedia page (feel free to confirm this elsewhere if you're not a wiki fan): 'Homeopathy is a vitalist therapy, claiming to act by treating imbalances in a hypothetical vital force. Substances, which in large quantities would cause symptoms similar to the disease, are administered in heavily diluted formulations. This process of serial dilution, with shaking at each stage of the dilution, called potentization, is claimed to remove any negative side-effects of the treatment, and to retain some therapeutic powers."

In other words, homeopathy is absolute bullshit. If this is the kind of thing people are going to run on the healthcare topic, the aff should expect to lose a lot of rounds.

• Downvote 1

I want energy. Most of the worst rounds I've ever seen have been on healthcare topics. As a form of protest, all my teams will be running a neo-malthusian critical aff, if we get subjected to that resolution.