Sign in to follow this  
mattgerber

**Baylor Round Robin Details**

Dear Colleagues,

I am pleased to announce that details for the 2008 Baylor HS Round Robin have been finalized. We are excited to once again welcome some of the nations best high school debaters to the beautiful Baylor campus. The tournament will be held on Saturday January 19th, and Sunday January 20th, 2008. We will begin accepting applications now, and will accept applications until Friday, December 14th, 2007. We will announce the 8 teams selected to attend the Round Robin on Monday, December 17th in order to allow time for travel arrangements to be made.

If there is sufficient interest from a qualified number of teams, we will consider hosting a “two-pod” Round Robin, consisting of 16 total teams broken up into pods of 8. If we pursue this format, at the conclusion of 7 rounds, we would have the top seeds from each pod meet in a final championship round.

The Application: Pretty simple. A coach, sponsor, or individual debater(s) should submit the debate record of the team applying. Be sure to include any speaker awards, elimination round results, and their records (if any) with other partners. Include any information that you think is necessary (prior debate records and accomplishments, etc). A school may submit more than one team to the Round Robin, but second teams from the same school will likely only be allowed if we widen the pool to 16 teams or if we have less interest than I anticipate. Decisions about applicants will be made with the goal of a competitive and diverse tournament in mind. Applications should be sent via email to matt_gerber@baylor.edu

Judging: Each team is expected to provide at least on qualified judge, who could be called upon to judge up to 3 rounds. That being said, I don’t believe there will be a shortage of well-qualified judges. We intend to allow some of our college debaters to judge, as well as the Baylor coaching staff. We will also have a large number of qualified hired judges here that weekend. The goal is to provide excellent judging throughout the tournament.

Rooms & Awards: The tournament will be held in the beautiful Student Union building at Baylor University. These are awesome rooms for debates. Spacious, lots of big tables and chairs, gorgeous wood floors, very collegiate. There is also a food court in the basement of this building, complete with a Starbucks for those early morning rounds. We will have awesome awards again this year, including a gift bag full of cool Baylor freebies (T-shirts, timers, stickers, etc) for all participants. We will also have very nice (and unique) speaker and team awards.

Tournament Hotel: There is a block of rooms reserved at the Clarion Inn, located adjacent to the Baylor campus. This is a nice place, with an indoor pool/dome, and it is in a perfect location, close to the campus and the restaurant district in downtown Waco. I am negotiating a final room rate with the hotel, I believe it will be $79.95 per night. I will keep entrants updated on this process.

Please consider joining us in Waco for the 2008 edition of the Baylor HS Round Robin. Please direct all applications and questions to:

Dr. Matt Gerber

Director of Debate

Dept. of Communication Studies

Baylor University

(254)214-1980

matt_gerber@baylor.edu