ldsk

Unexpected Affs

I've been curious, what's Heart of Darkness aff?

As I remember it, it's basically a representations case, showing a metaphor for why representations legitimize violence and exclusion. The way it's set up is a very generic critical perspective with probably some Deluze or Zizek evidence. It's a simple affirmation of the resolution through rethinking of the representations, or, as they say it "plunging into the heart of darkness". The only reason why this aff got anyone's attention, though, was because of the framework that was written at the end. I'm not sure if this aff is meant to be satirical, but that framework is basically a translation of what a critical aff framework is trying to say, just without sounding like they're completely setting themselves up for the win in the 1AC. I thought that was a little funny.

As I remember it, it's basically a representations case, showing a metaphor for why representations legitimize violence and exclusion. The way it's set up is a very generic critical perspective with probably some Deluze or Zizek evidence. It's a simple affirmation of the resolution through rethinking of the representations, or, as they say it "plunging into the heart of darkness". The only reason why this aff got anyone's attention, though, was because of the framework that was written at the end. I'm not sure if this aff is meant to be satirical, but that framework is basically a translation of what a critical aff framework is trying to say, just without sounding like they're completely setting themselves up for the win in the 1AC. I thought that was a little funny.

"the framework is that the neg should lose every debate"

lol

LOL we ran it this weekend it talks about how before we can actually help SSA we have to change our view of them instead of "savages" we see them as people its pretty cool i liked it but i wouldnt run it as a serious case at the end theres this weird thing about AIDS ill get back to you its really based on pshycoanalysis i liked it but id watch out if u are thinkin of running it

• Downvote 2

A team in my area is running an Aff that sends nerve gas to Africa that kils a bunch. Apparently it checks overpop and they read malthus on the Aff. it is pretty backwards. Another team runs a cell phone Aff that allows for telecomm, but the text is something like the USFG will require [insert Phone Company Name] will give/sell phones to SSA govs

We ran against an Al-Shiva aff... it was pretty good. Its rebuilding a pharmacy in Sudan that the US blew up. Its really un-T, but they have their T arguments prepped out so much they are invulnerable.

I have really gone against it, but it is a possibility and some of my friends have hit them.

If the are rebuilding a public health facility aren't they T?

A team in my area is running an Aff that sends nerve gas to Africa that kils a bunch. Apparently it checks overpop and they read malthus on the Aff. it is pretty backwards. Another team runs a cell phone Aff that allows for telecomm, but the text is something like the USFG will require [insert Phone Company Name] will give/sell phones to SSA govs

We fund the Phones For Health program. You know it kicks ass.

I hit an aff that repealed the Mexico City Policy. It was so untopical that we beat it on solvency. Bush would veto the repeal, it was stupid

/sarcasm

We've had a team run "inherency: Congress has already passed repeal" and "solvency: bush will veto so you will never solve" at the same time against us.

Sadly this has happened with two different teams.

I mean, come on guys are you really that dumb? The aff doesn't get fiat anymore?

• Downvote 1

I judged an aff on African Sleeping Sickness this weekend. I can't quite spell the scientific name, but I haven't been able to find any on-case neg for it.

the name is trypanosomiasis.

i was going to write a "send hobo's to SSA". the funding was minimal, b/c hobo's will do anything for peanut butter, so we would buy peanut butter en masse, and they would give medical treatment to Africans. (hobo's can actually do anything, they're victims of capitalism)

Plan Text: The United States federal government should offer domesticated ungulates of the Bovinae subfamily to the people of the Maasai.

wat r they thonking pih is better

wat r they thonking pih is better

I've judged this PIH aff at least three times. It does not qualify as "good", "decent", or even "mediocre", in any sense of the terms, nor did it provide any potentially redeeming qualities...

plan: we demand the usfg provide 777 trillion dollars for pha for SSA. advtge: zizek neolib.

a metaphors aff: usfg send a band aids to africa to represent band aid policies.

new trier- muslims aff

st mark's -- navy aff

forget which school-- provide health care to soldiers in horn of africa because they're depressed. depression bad.

Mugumba Tree or some shit. The seeds clean water when they fall from the tree.

It's a crappy case (at least, the version we hit.) But then, the team didn't have frontlines to anything and I'm pretty sure they were flowing horizontally on one pierce of paper all 7 off case and the case spread. So I don't know what 2AC tricks and answers good teams who run it have.

(okay, if you were serious about Heart of Darkness being just some book about a guy going down a river... go do something other than research debate at the library. Heart of Darkness is an amazing book. Silly, silly aff, but amazing book.)

I saw a team running an aff that says that the usfg will pass a law saying that prospective college students must do one or two years of volunteer service in SSA before entering college. They claimed otherization and racism advantages. Crazy stuff.

I saw a team running an aff that says that the usfg will pass a law saying that prospective college students must do one or two years of volunteer service in SSA before entering college. They claimed otherization and racism advantages. Crazy stuff.

Actually that case is pretty good, and surprizingly logical enough in its explanation. Sure, a lot of it's really speculative and not very concrete, but it makes sense for the most part. Plus it's extremely hard to link to with any specific foreign aid links. Obviously you get your really direct biopower links because they have to "serve" and you also get easy kritik PHA links, but because their case has critical advantages, it stands a great chance.

We have a novice who cuts random affs for fun, like:

Kill all the AIDS patients in SSA.

Blood Diamonds, with like 50 random advantages that don't link.

US women should make all them men in SSA Africa sandwiches. (I still don't get it).

and finally

Eat all the babies in SSA. -solves overpop and famine! Its based of A Modest Proposal by Jonathan Swift.