Sign in to follow this  
Draco'z Devil

Soft Power Impact

Isolationism is usually a decent impact to soft power/is more persuasive internal link to hard power than the nye war on terror cards usually are imo.

Nye is the most popular soft power author; most of his impacts deal with using diplomacy to stop regional conflicts from escalating, or the War on Terror. Or there's this one, which isn't bad.

TRANSNATIONAL THREATS DRAIN U.S. HARD POWER – ONLY SOFT POWER CHECKS

Joseph S. Nye Jr., dean of the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University, 2003. THE PARADOX OF AMERICA POWER, p. 40

The bad news for Americans in this more complex distribution of power in the twenty-first century is that there are more and more things outside the control of even the most powerful state. September 11, 2001, should have sounded a wake-up call. Although the United States does well on the traditional measures, there is increasingly more going on in the world that those measures fail to capture. Under the influence of the information revolution and globalization, world politics is changing in a way that means Americans cannot achieve all their international goals acting alone. The United States lacks both the international and domestic prerequisites to resolve conflicts that are internal to other societies, and to monitor and control transnational transactions that threaten Americans at home. We must mobilize international coalitions to address shared threats and challenges. We will have to learn better how to share as well as lead. As a British observer has written, "The paradox of American power at the end of this millennium is that it is too great to be challenged by any other state, yet not great enough to solve problems such as global terrorism and nuclear proliferation. America needs the help and respect of other nations." We will be in trouble if we do not get it.

Guest svfrey

if i run SoPo as a DA, then i always go SP key to heg, and then just heg bad

none of those little terroirism scenarios.

but on aff, i roll three scenarios:

middle east war

global warming

US-Russia war

Guest svfrey

btw, i'll see if i can post these up soon, if not and you still want them, i can give you the cites on aim/email

(contact info is in the sig)

Sign in to follow this