Sign in to follow this  
RoyersMWD

Nebraska Debate Alumni Thread

I got the idea that a large percentage of former high school debaters from Nebraska are still hanging around the activity last year when I judged a few tournaments; but now that I'm browsing these boards again it really hit home. So; if you're on here and a former high school debater from Nebraska, fill us in on what you're doing now and what your plans are:

Name:

School Debate At:

Year Graduated:

Current Ties To Debate:

Current Status: (Still in school, graduated, have a job, etc.)

Other big info: (you fill it in here)

Name: Tim Royers

School Debate At: Millard West

Year Graduated: 2003

Current Ties To Debate: Asst Coach for Policy Debate @ Millard West

Current Status: Graduated from Northwest Missouri State in April 07, teaching Social Studies at Millard West

Other big info: Getting married in November.

Name: Alex Stamm

School Debate At: Norfolk Senior High School

Year Graduated: 2004

Current Ties To Debate: Judging, less and less often.

Current Status: Senior student at University of Nebraska-Lincoln, studying history, ethnic studies, political science. For spare change I sometimes assist research or panhandle while wearing a Bush mask.

Other big info: I'm hoping to go to grad school at KU-Lawrence, and hang out at the Solidarity Center (a really neat free library/infoshop/community center). After that, who knows. Considering joining some organization as a full-time organizer or reaching for that Ph.D.

Name: Brian Kaplinger

School Debate At: Millard South

Year Graduated: 2005

Current Ties To Debate: Judging and cutting files, less and less for MS and mroe and more for small Iowa Schools.

Current Status: Student in Aerospace Engineering at Iowa State University.

Other big info: Looking forward to a phD program. My current research involves both space and nuclear weapons, so I am pretty psyched.

I don't know if I really count, but...

Name: Rachel Stevens

School Debate At: Kearney

Year Graduated: 2007

Current Ties To Debate: debating for UMKC, judging (mostly at terrible kansas tournaments that make me want to die), working with the "DEBATE-Kansas City!" project (ie going to various high schools/middle schools in the area and talking about debate).

Current Status: political science major. thinking about adding journalism or english as a second major.

Other big info: My life is not very interesting.

i have this feeling that i'm registering myself for something that's going to cause me to be persecuted. eh. whatever.

name : dylan sutton

school debate at: fremont

year graduation: 04

current ties to debate: little to none

current status: junior english major at unl. manager at a blockbuster. woot.

other big info: i believe in surprisingly little for a debate alum.

congrats tim on the engagement and impending marriage.

I'm with Rachel, I don't know if I count either, but....

name : Alex Habrock

school debate at: Millard South

year graduation: 07

current ties to debate: Judge and Cutting Files

current status: Freshman at UNL Computer Engineering Major with Political Science and Chemistry Minors.

other big info: No freakin' clue.

i have this feeling that i'm registering myself for something that's going to cause me to be persecuted. eh. whatever.

name : dylan sutton

school debate at: fremont

year graduation: 04

current ties to debate: little to none

current status: junior english major at unl. manager at a blockbuster. woot.

other big info: i believe in surprisingly little for a debate alum.

congrats tim on the engagement and impending doom.

ouch

Name: Curtis Hanzlik

School Debate At: Norfolk Senior High School

Year Graduated: 2006

Current Ties To Debate: Attempt to help novice, judge more next semester

Current Status: (Still in school, graduated, have a job, etc.) College, working on my bachelors in political science with a minor in broadcasting. Really enjoying being on the weekly radio show here on campus which is causing me to get more interested in broadcasting.

Other big info: Basically....I live a boring life.

Name: Rob Weaver

School debate at: Millard North

Year Graduated: 2004

Current Ties to Debate: Member of University of Miami (FL...you know, the real Miami) Debate team and establishing a debate program and Palmer Trinity H.S. in Miami, FL. Also judge and sparingly coach for Miami Urban Debate League.

Current Status: Senior getting my B.S. in Mechanical Engineering. Not traveling with debate this year because of the time my major consumes. Excited to be a high school debate coach this year

Other Big Info: Preparing to enter law school. I'm interested in Patent Law. I will probably stay at UM. Go Canes!

Rob the dream weaver!!!

I didn't know you wanted to go to law school!?! Is this a new development? You should apply to UNL...we're top tier you know!

Name: Brent Klingemann

School Debate At: Millard North

Year Graduated: 2005

Current Ties To Debate: Assistant Coach - Lincoln High

Current Status: Political Science and Philosophy major at UNL.

Other big info: dunno

if only we could all be as prestigious as rob weaver.

My testicles are the size of small coconuts. People greet me more than once, just so they can shake my hand again. The glass is either half full or half empty, depending on my mood. It rains in the middle east when I cry. Consequentially, there are water wars. The "in" style is what I wore two months ago. I am left handed...and right handed. Deaf people worship every word I say.

I am the most interesting person ever.

Name: Andrew Culp

School Debate(d) At: I debated for Millard North and the University of Missouri - Kansas City

Year Graduated: HS 02, College 06

Current Ties To Debate: I judge a couple college tournaments a year.

Current Status: (Still in school, graduated, have a job, etc.): Graduate student at The Ohio State University in Comparative Studies where I study sovereignty, power, capital and resistance - focusing on post-structuralism (most notably Nietzsche, Foucault and Deleuze), Autonomism (Negri, Virno, etc), and contemporary activism.

Other big info: i like long walks on the beach and cheap wine. dumpsterdiving, riding my bike, and hanging out with the DIY crowd usually occupies my weekends. i dedicate most of my time to postleft mutual aid and direct action projects. once beat cormack by dancing and calling him a nazi [http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=umkc+kansas&sitesearch=].

My testicles are the size of small coconuts. People greet me more than once, just so they can shake my hand again. The glass is either half full or half empty, depending on my mood. It rains in the middle east when I cry. Consequentially, there are water wars. The "in" style is what I wore two months ago. I am left handed...and right handed. Deaf people worship every word I say.

I am the most interesting person ever.

and he fucks dogs