Sign in to follow this  
cloviswestpolicydebate

Great Aff case on the GGR being lifted

Guest fizelly27
because the camps didn't give anything on the helms ammendment which was just brought up yesterday in all 4 of my rounds...it is a must need.

how does this make the aff better?

• Downvote 1

becuase of the fact that the The 1973 Helms Amendment is a legislative provision that already restricts U.S. funds from being used for these activities Keyword "SEPARATE" so it renders their claim usless since it is not under the ggr.....

Now do u get it?

Guest fizelly27
becuase of the fact that the The 1973 Helms Amendment is a legislative provision that already restricts U.S. funds from being used for these activities Keyword "SEPARATE" so it renders their claim usless since it is not under the ggr.....

Now do u get it?

meaning they cant solve by just repealing ggr cuz the helms amendment prohibits it as well?

Guest fizelly27
to an extent...yes.....

wouldnt this be a neg argument then....

no not exactly, because it says "No FNGOs can give any counselling or any information regarding or relating to abortion" which leads to women in Africa dying because of a totally preventable cause....which is why if we lift the GGR we can provde information on other options like contraceptives and these women will have at least other safer options to go off of and they don't have to resort to illegal and life-threating abortions.

Guest fizelly27
no not exactly, because it says "No FNGOs can give any counselling or any information regarding or relating to abortion" which leads to women in Africa dying because of a totally preventable cause....which is why if we lift the GGR we can provde information on other options like contraceptives and these women will have at least other safer options to go off of and they don't have to resort to illegal and life-threating abortions.

but u said that we wouldnt be able to because the helms amendment would still prohibit us from telling women in sub saharan africa about other non abstinence options.

no i said that the U.S. will not provide any funds to any FNGOs "BECAUSE OF THE FACT THAT IT FALLS UNDER THE LEGISLATION" the helms amendment would prevent us from trying to lifet the gag rule in the first place

Guest fizelly27
no i said that the U.S. will not provide any funds to any FNGOs "BECAUSE OF THE FACT THAT IT FALLS UNDER THE LEGISLATION" the helms amendment would prevent us from trying to lifet the gag rule in the first place

w/e bro ur call, i dont think it makes that big of a dffernece. Im not a fan of dbating ppl on line so do w/e u want.

this isn't anything new...

if you look at most plan texts they increase funding for family planning regardless of abortion which would fiat through the Helms Amendment as well.

most don't just repeal the gag rule.

And even if you made this into a "new" aff, it'd be the same exact thing except now you could suddenly answer this damning Helms Amendment solvency deficit arg

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 things 1.nice avatar i'm a big fan of calvin and hobbes

2. the plan text for this case (just incase u want to know) would probley be that "the us should substantionaly increase public health aid to sub-saharan africa by lifting the gag rule"

• Downvote 1

is that your plan text? because that doesn't get out of the Helms Amendment arg. The plan texts that just increase family planning assistance regardless of abortion do...

so if repealing the gag rule gets out of the helms amendment arg, than whats your point?

My question exactly. The Helms Amendment is no threat to solvency. Fiat solves any risk that the funding isn't allocated.

the helms amendment prevents us from lifting the gag rule...

the whole point of this thread was to give a case that argued against the H.A. under 1 card so that if you came across this in round you could bring up that it isn't located under the U.S.A.'s legislative guidelines and that it was a seperate case from the GGR....

Does that help any?

If not,then can i have ur opinion on the H.A. (i'm not angry or anything just curious):D

it seems to be some confusion in this forum, to my understanding the argument that everyone else is trying to present here is that either:

a) the H.A. is seperate from the GGR meaning if you repeal JUST the GGR in your plan text (like the one you showed) then the HA would in fact not be changed meaning a solvency deficit for the affirmative

B) if your plan text says something like "increase funding for abortion and contraceptive family planning" then it is fiating through the HA, GGR, etc... because in order to do that those would be repealed

so i guess what my point would be is, that article would be helpful if your trying to raise awareness about the HA, but i think that I am under the impression that most everyone here already knows about the HA for the most part

its also my understanding that the HA was an amdendment on i believe a foreign aid bill possibly? so it doesnt necessarily PREVENT us from reapealing the GGR it is just a further restriction on aid regardless of whether or not the GGR exists

• Downvote 1

Fiat still solves. There's really not much else to say, I guess...

If the Amendment prevents funding from getting through, regardless of its relevence to the GGR, it would be repealed as an indirect result of the plan.

Sign in to follow this