kevinwy

Foucault is overrated when it comes to K

No, I joke, I kid. <3 Foucault, but I like running Nietzsche more than Foucault... and Zizek has the best answers to everything

• Downvote 3

Guest svfrey

well, depending on the resolution, the quality of links for kritiks can greatly increase or decrease

nietzsche is much better than foucault this year

foucault was better on the national service topic and the civ liberties topic

• Downvote 2

No, I joke, I kid. <3 Foucault, but I like running Nietzsche more than Foucault... and Zizek has the best answers to everything

I was about ready to crucify you upside down.

And I'd disagree, I think Foucault is strong this year, people just have to run the "biopower goes global" scenarios. Plus, any Foucault K is bomb if you read it with links that function as independent case turns.

• Downvote 1

Yeah, I agree that Nietzsche is far superior this year... civil liberties is obviously granted to Foucault, but civil service can be applied to both really well (The Gay Science is amazing for last year's topic)

I was about ready to crucify you upside down.

And I'd disagree, I think Foucault is strong this year, people just have to run the "biopower goes global" scenarios. Plus, any Foucault K is bomb if you read it with links that function as independent case turns.

By bomb, specify what you mean.

"Biopower goes global" can work well with SSA, if you start explaining about their discourse is SO subjective that it leads to national policy influenced THAT negatively, but the AFF can turn that pretty well.

By bomb, specify what you mean.

"Biopower goes global" can work well with SSA, if you start explaining about their discourse is SO subjective that it leads to national policy influenced THAT negatively, but the AFF can turn that pretty well.

Bomb = awesome

and any aff that link turns foucault without being hugely counter to the current state of affairs (ex:aff dismantles the armed forces) = ahahah

well, depending on the resolution, the quality of links for kritiks can greatly increase or decrease

What the hell are you talking about. The link evidence for Foucault on virtually any topic will be far superior to most other authors especially Nietzsche. The reason being that Foucault is overtly political, Nietzsche not so much. I don't know about you but I think that some of the SSA Public Healh specific link cards for Foucault on this topic > Saurette or Turlani any day.

Nietzsche is the same argument every year...at least foucault differentiates itself on the link debate according to what topic/affirmative it is.

Judges will probably be more receptive to the specific links of a good foucault debate than "Durr...Ascetic ideal"

What the hell are you talking about. The link evidence for Foucault on virtually any topic will be far superior to most other authors especially Nietzsche. The reason being that Foucault is overtly political, Nietzsche not so much. I don't know about you but I think that some of the SSA Public Healh specific link cards for Foucault on this topic > Saurette or Turlani any day.

yeah, definately have to agree on this one... ive got impact cards for foucault that function as more specific links than like anything for nietzsche... ;)

ive got impact cards for foucault that function as more specific links than like anything for nietzsche

Mos Def. Foucault centers a lot of time on the use of health as biopolitics and those cards are AMAZING!!! And the scenario for Foucault has specific health impacts and health links which means that the entire scenario is at least topic specific and usually can get case specific without too much extra work. Fuko and his pals even have health specific aslternatives if you want to roll that way. For Nietzche, none of this is true, as far as I know.

politics...cards are AMAZING!!! And the [politics] scenario has specific health impacts and health links which means that the entire scenario is at least topic specific and usually can get case specific without too much extra work. For [any K], none of this is true, as far as I know.

Fixed.

• Downvote 1

He never does, this is his second methodological precaution: (Power/Knowledge, Two Lectures, Pg. 97)

A second methodological precaution urged that the analysis should not concern itself with power at the level of conscious intention or decision; that it should not attempt to consider power from its internal point of view and that it should refrain from posing the labyrinthine and unanswerable question: ‘Who then has power and what has he in mind? What is the aim of someone who possesses power?’ Instead, it is a case of studying power at the point where its intention, if it has one, is completely invested in its real and effective practices. What is needed is a study of power in its external visage, at the point where it is in direct and immediate relationship with that which we can provisionally call its object, its target, its field of application, there – that is to say – where it installs itself and produces its real effects.

My point is not that everything is bad, but that everything is dangerous, which is not exactly the same as bad. If everything is dangerous, then we always have something to do. So my position would not lead to apathy but to a hyper and pessimistic activism. I think that the ethico-political choice that we have to make every day is to determine which is the main danger.

~Foucault

people just have to run the "biopower goes global"

dude, all good cards pretty much conclude biopower is just going to be a regional power conflict because deterrence / heg checks.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Mos Def. Foucault centers a lot of time on the use of health as biopolitics and those cards are AMAZING!!! And the scenario for Foucault has specific health impacts and health links which means that the entire scenario is at least topic specific and usually can get case specific without too much extra work. Fuko and his pals even have health specific aslternatives if you want to roll that way. For Nietzche, none of this is true, as far as I know.

I have Nietzsche cards that vaguely mention disease. Booya.

My point is not that everything is bad, but that everything is dangerous, which is not exactly the same as bad. If everything is dangerous, then we always have something to do. So my position would not lead to apathy but to a hyper and pessimistic activism. I think that the ethico-political choice that we have to make every day is to determine which is the main danger.

~Foucault

exactly, truth and power are co productive, so where does everybody jump to the conclusion that plan causes bad power that causes mobilization of populations :S ?

exactly' date=' truth and power are co productive, so where does everybody jump to the conclusion that plan causes bad power that causes mobilization of populations?[/quote']

Cuz the ev (not necessarily me) says that Public Health BP leads to domination and otherization of the "disease"/"abnormal. The healthy are mobilized to destroy the sick, and this wouldn't be a problem except the sickness doesn't always have intelligable signs. This means a disease style witch hunt.

dude, all good cards pretty much conclude biopower is just going to be a regional power conflict because deterrence / heg checks.

The bioppwer impacts are all talking about two biopolitical powers butting heads, say China and the US for example. The two large groups mobilize against each other and attempt to exercise their death power over the others using nukes n stuff. Essentially its an escalation scenario.

Sean, are you fucking kidding? Public Health!? When I read this, I started to sob violently.

Cuz the ev (not necessarily me) says that Public Health BP leads to domination and otherization of the "disease"/"abnormal. The healthy are mobilized to destroy the sick, and this wouldn't be a problem except the sickness doesn't always have intelligable signs. This means a disease style witch hunt.

The bioppwer impacts are all talking about two biopolitical powers butting heads, say China and the US for example. The two large groups mobilize against each other and attempt to exercise their death power over the others using nukes n stuff. Essentially its an escalation scenario.

But is it really about mobilization? His point is that power became dispersed, that no longer was it used to mobilize populations. I think a common misconception is that people just think "power = bad, plan increases power" =O