Sign in to follow this  
Andromeda

As a judge, I am shocked at the lack of Good Governance CP.

Seriously, at least in Wichita, the argument that seems to be a silver bullet for most negs (especially against food aid and vaccine affs) isn't even mentioned. Why is this? Is there some gaping hole I'm just not seeing?

• Downvote 1

its arguable normal means unless they say unconditional assistance in the plan text.

and its theoretically illegitimate

and there lots of reasons why its racist, ineffective, and counter productive.

You're going to have to give more details. What's a "Good Governance CP?" Isn't the goal of any plan or counterplan the improvement of governance?

It's the same as a Conditioning CP. Requires implimenting certain governmental reforms and respecting human right and promising to use the aid for good and not for evil in order to recieve the aid.

It's alright... I find the argument of perm: do the CP to work. It's basically plan-plus.

there are also good critiques to attaching conditions to foreign aid.

It's a conditional aid CP? Then yes, I agree, this is a very powerful position. I recommended the following strategy in this thread.

1. Corruption DA - Aid to some countries keeps malevolent leaders in power. They steal the aid money and sell all the life-saving drugs on the black market. Impacts: failed states, terrorism, war, turns solvency.

2. Elites DA - Governments give all medical care to military elites. Poor suffer. Coup in country X. (See cards above)

3. Shunning DA - Aid to dictators in Sub-Saharan Africa encourages leaders elsewhere to wimp out on reform. Impacts: Egypt stops move toward democracy. Musharraf continues as military president of Pakistan.

4. Politics DA - Unconditional aid to evil countries infuriates neocons. GOP does nothing but bicker over foreign policy, Congress can't pass bipartisan bills like social security reform.

5. Conditional aid CP. Health care is tied to democratic reform. Countries receive aid only if they allow UN audits and pass legislation that increases transparency and citizen participation.

OR

5. Exclude government-to-government assistance CP. Only provide direct aid through NGOs.

There are some problems with its theoretical legitimacy. It is no more and no less problematic than a consult counterplan. Conditional aid CPs appear to me to be plan-contingent.

The Perm is less work. :D

but not as strategic. even if you win the perm, you might not win the disad. whereas the critique will attack the SQ as well as the CP. so do both.

perm + critique. then illustrate that

plan > perm > sq

all neg options are done.

its arguable normal means unless they say unconditional assistance in the plan text.

and its theoretically illegitimate

and there lots of reasons why its racist, ineffective, and counter productive.

Ditto, I think conditions are plan plus (Unless of course the aff conditions)

but not as strategic. even if you win the perm, you might not win the disad. whereas the critique will attack the SQ as well as the CP. so do both.

perm + critique. then illustrate that

plan > perm > sq

all neg options are done.

...it's perm - do the cp, it's supposed to solve the disad.

The permutation is only a test of competition, it isn't advocated. Even with the perm, the net-ben is still a DA to the case. It isn't like your plan suddenly turns into the permutation, or that would be the epitome of intrinsic abuse if you just "perm" every argument to take out the link.

Please do correct me if I am wrong on my interpretation of a permutation however.

...it's perm - do the cp, it's supposed to solve the disad.

if you dont run a CP in the first place, or kick it entirely, you are still left with a disad to deal with.

Ditto, I think conditions are plan plus (Unless of course the aff conditions)

Its saying do the plan as an overall sense but implement it in a different way. I think its anything but plan plus unless you want to advocate textual competition and say its plan plus minus. The aff says to send money to kenya for example. The cp says, send aid under the conditions that its used to promote democracy. Thats doing everything but democracy, and the aff does everything, so its plan minus :0

Why would insisting on having good goverance be racist? I can see why it would be a lot of other things, but racist???? H.

because your western notions of what a good is, and what a government is, and what a good government is are based on the same technological-humanist-enlightenment-western-metaphysical ordering which justified colonialism, slavery etc and you are imposing it on them......

hardly racist, its actually just being effective. But the argument that they should be making is that its rooted in a colonialist logic and its kind of like running a k against the cp because they cant articulate a value to life. lol, neg will be running prag

Its saying do the plan as an overall sense but implement it in a different way. I think its anything but plan plus unless you want to advocate textual competition and say its plan plus minus. The aff says to send money to kenya for example. The cp says' date=' send aid under the conditions[/b'] that its used to promote democracy. Thats doing everything but democracy, and the aff does everything, so its plan minus :0

That sounds like Plan-Plus to me.

The aff does everything but condition on democracy, the CP does condition on democracy, so it's plan plus.

I think its anything but plan plus unless you want to advocate textual competition and say its plan plus minus

What?

hardly racist' date=' its actually just being effective. But the argument that they should be making is that its rooted in a colonialist logic and its kind of like running a k against the cp because they cant articulate a value to life. lol, neg will be running prag[/quote']

Running pragmatism gets them nowhere.

hardly racist' date=' its actually just being effective.[/quote']The Nazis were effective.

That sounds like Plan-Plus to me.

The aff does everything but condition on democracy, the CP does condition on democracy, so it's plan plus.

What?

Textually it is plan plus since the words in the cp text dont mutually exclude the affirmative. But, functionally, the disad embedded in the cp links to the aff and the cp only solves it, but also the aff is broad, the cp says how to use the money or whatever the aff is doing, its saying how it should be implemented. The aff doesnt say how it should be -- too general usually, so the cp is able to direct it and make it concise

Running pragmatism gets them nowhere.

tell that to kamal who was in the finals of the ndt 3 times in a row from sophomore year :S In this instance, yes it would be rather silly, I was more saying it for a joke

• Downvote 1

Ok, I've been called out apparently. Fine, if the NB is corruption or something else along those lines;

1.) Perm: Do the CP

2.) On the disad, link turn, non-unique, and impact defense.

There. 4 answers and you can win.

The plan is give aid, no matter what

The counter-plan is give aid, if it goes to democracy reasons/corruption fighting, whatever

The CP is only plan-plus. I still don't think there is any sort of exclusion and it is only something added onto the plan to make it preferable. Regardless if it is textually/functionally competitive because in both instances it is just plan-plus.

I agree that perming the CP and then easy offense on the corruption DA would be a easy strategy.

The plan is give aid, no matter what

The counter-plan is give aid, if it goes to democracy reasons/corruption fighting, whatever

The CP is only plan-plus. I still don't think there is any sort of exclusion and it is only something added onto the plan to make it preferable. Regardless if it is textually/functionally competitive because in both instances it is just plan-plus.

I agree that perming the CP and then easy offense on the corruption DA would be a easy strategy.

And you could still have time to K conditions!