Erdos

Realism Advantages

I have recently encountered an affirmative which runs 'revitalizing realism' as an advantage.

I was wondering if anyone here could explain how one would do that.

Im not totally sure how one could claim an advantage off of revitalizing realism as its pretty much accepted that it's an unavoidable framework.

Im sure thats not just what they claimed it had to be more in-depth, like maybe taking an offensive realist approach to dealing with China, but even then your not revitalizing anything.

I really hope you didn't lose to them

edit: not because your bad or anything but because it sounds like a crappy argument

• Downvote 1

Well, the revitalizing realism advantage is accompanied by a China advantage, however it does have a significant kritikal portion. Hence, it doesn't actually claim inherency of any sort, since presumably it wouldn't have any.

What's your Erdos number?

It would seem kritikal affirmatives would need inherency for the same reasons as policy affirmatives.

Also I am not familiar with any literature that argues a specific (topical) government policy would revitalize realism.

maybe they are just pre-empting by saying realism is good in the 1ac and you are misunderstanding whats happening....thats the most likely explination

Im not totally sure how one could claim an advantage off of revitalizing realism as its pretty much accepted that it's an unavoidable framework.

Um, no. A lot of realist thinkers (like John Mearsheimer) agree that we are neo-conservative now and haven't operated under a realist school of thought since we invaded Iraq.

I assume the affirmative would represent a shift back towards realism..

realists hate america. it's true - they're neo-isolationists who support counter balancing and withdrawal from democracy promotion, spread of American values, and the like.

of course i'm kidding about the first sentence, but seriously, offensive realism is dumb. most debaters don't even understand it, thinking it means "get real and don't critisize hege". In reality, Nietzsche is more realist than Kagan.

One of the tricky aspects of the realism advantage is that they claim the realism itself is dead in academia and needs to be revitalized there, hence they claim a kritikal advantage with their solvency being that they are in debate.

I think it was originally just a framework pre empt, but they made it into a full scale advantage out of the 2ac, and it was labeled as such on their ev.

So by talking about how realism is good they make it happen again in real life? Seems like their solvency evidence on that claim would be terrible (or terribly non specific) or non existent.

Oh well, realism is probably true so it's good that debaters are talking about it. Threats are real, the state is good, etc

Um, no. A lot of realist thinkers (like John Mearsheimer) agree that we are neo-conservative now and haven't operated under a realist school of thought since we invaded Iraq.

I assume the affirmative would represent a shift back towards realism..

Because humanitarian relief as such is certainly a realist approach to international affairs.

No. In debate, realism is a solely a framework for determining the propriety of of policy actions, as it makes judgments about the nature of the international system, and if an action does not recognize the tenants of the international order, it will be counterproductive to stability, etc.

Claiming an advantage off of it would be dumb - one policy action will not cause the Bush administration to re-conceive its views of IR. Same reason one wouldn't claim an advantage that would "end statism" - statism is a mindset, not a measurable impact. Thus, while one could say "the nature of the state will fuck up whatever advantage you're claiming", one could not say "statism low now, plan increases statism" or something.

realists hate america. it's true - they're neo-isolationists who support counter balancing and withdrawal from democracy promotion, spread of American values, and the like.

of course i'm kidding about the first sentence, but seriously, offensive realism is dumb. most debaters don't even understand it, thinking it means "get real and don't critisize hege". In reality, Nietzsche is more realist than Kagan.

I agree, realism is something most debaters just don't understand very well. A lot of affirmatives who use realism to answer kritiks are just as non-realist as the kritiks. Debaters should read "The Tragedy of Great Power Politics" Introduction to get a good idea of the various "competing" realist interpretations of IR.

Says who? Even Mearshimer admits that the U.S. doesn't behave in a realist manner anymore.

Guest svfrey

Says who? Even Mearshimer admits that the U.S. doesn't behave in a realist manner anymore.