Nevr4you4getit

This sounds odd... but, I'm looking for advice.

I'm kinda screwed for competing in policy this year, because my school doesn’t have a policy debate team. But I really would like to pursue policy debate during college, are there any things I should do to prep?

I realize that most people who do policy debate in college already did it in high school, so I probably have a lot of learning to do...... any recommendations ?

Well that's certainly taking the initiative. :)

If there is another form of debate like Lincoln Douglas or Ted Turner at your school, get involved. Extemp is great for policy debaters too. Beyond that, get a subscription to Economist magazine and learn what's going on in the world. Good luck!

• Downvote 1

I'm kinda screwed for competing in policy this year, because my school doesn’t have a policy debate team. But I really would like to pursue policy debate during college, are there any things I should do to prep?

I realize that most people who do policy debate in college already did it in high school, so I probably have a lot of learning to do...... any recommendations ?

Make sure you apply to schools with good Novice/JV programs. Going Open at your first tournament with no prior debate experience would probably deter you from pursuing debate permanently. Open debate in college is difficult.

• Downvote 1

See if you can find a partner who will work on policy independently with you. Go to camp. If you have the option, transfer.

I don't say this because I believe high school debate is necessary for a good college career, I think it's helpful, but not necessary. I say this because you get a very limited amount of years to do policy debate. Use all of them to the best of your ability. I'm still regretting the years I didn't debate in college after we didn't have a program.

• Downvote 1

Seiously man , dont let anything stop you, if your squad doesnt compete nationally in Policy, I can bet you there are still local tourneys you can go to, but if not just take the advice Tomak gave.

Well that's certainly taking the initiative. :)

If there is another form of debate like Lincoln Douglas or Ted Turner at your school, get involved. Extemp is great for policy debaters too. Beyond that, get a subscription to Economist magazine and learn what's going on in the world. Good luck!

Actually, it sounds a bit ironic. But I am going to do extemp this year, and I love LD so I plan on doing that, and maybe if I find a partner I might do PF.

See if you can find a partner who will work on policy independently with you. Go to camp. If you have the option, transfer.

I don't say this because I believe high school debate is necessary for a good college career, I think it's helpful, but not necessary. I say this because you get a very limited amount of years to do policy debate. Use all of them to the best of your ability. I'm still regretting the years I didn't debate in college after we didn't have a program.

How is it possible to find a partner that would work on policy independently with me? I'd just hate to see somebody almost " waste" their time helping me if I stand no shot at competing this year.

1. Watch rounds, especially Elim rounds.

2. Ask questions, especially of judges who give post-round oral critiques that sound like they make a lot of sense, about anything you are unsure about.

3. Round up that friend/partner who MIGHT be willing to see a policy debate and then give it a try at a local tournament.

4. If you can get to a college tournament near you, (and you can locate quite a few policy tournaments at http://www.debateresults.com), GO to a college tournament and watch what happens.

5. Depending on what year you are in school, look at the possibility of going to an Institute where they offer novice or JV instructional labs.

6. As you do research into your college choices, see if the college(s) in which you are interested have a policy debate Program and contact the college coaches directly by e-mail or mail to let them know about your situation.

As Sara said, the activity is marvelous and what one misses after a career is concluded are the opportunities to participate. What one regrets are the opportunities lost and given up.

With the tremendous access to FREE resources about the topic (cases, neg strategies, how to debate manuals) on the internet, if you and your friend/partner to be watch a couple of tournaments in your area early in the year to see what policy debate is and how it works, then you can attend and compete at a novice or JV Tournament and never be embarrassed in your efforts. So the best suggestion would be to just try it.

Good luck and I hope your coach and administrators at the school give you a chance to make the attempt.

• Downvote 1

Actually, it sounds a bit ironic. But I am going to do extemp this year, and I love LD so I plan on doing that, and maybe if I find a partner I might do PF.

LD and extemp will do you well. I was worried your school had absolutely nothing. This is good news. Do well in both of these and you'll have a great head start your novice year in college. LD debaters often do well switching to policy, and extemp will teach you all the important issues we policy-nuts talk about.

If you really want to get your feet wet, whenever you're at an LD or extemp tourney where there's also a policy tourney going on, try your best to find the time to sit in on a policy round and flow their arguments. Come back here with questions about the arguments they ran, and your cross-x cousins will be glad to explain. ;)

By the way, since you're doing extemp, you DEFINITELY want to get yourself a subscription to Economist. Ask your parents for it for Christmas. They'll be impressed.

One more thing. Have you talked to your coach about how you want to do policy? He/she might be able to set you up with a partner from another school and you can debate as a hybrid team. This is usually an organizational disaster and you probably won't do very well, and it's quite a lot of work for your coach to set it up, but it can be done if there's another school nearby that has a policy team with an odd number of debaters.

LD and extemp will do you well. I was worried your school had absolutely nothing. This is good news. Do well in both of these and you'll have a great head start your novice year in college. LD debaters often do well switching to policy, and extemp will teach you all the important issues we policy-nuts talk about.

If you really want to get your feet wet, whenever you're at an LD or extemp tourney where there's also a policy tourney going on, try your best to find the time to sit in on a policy round and flow their arguments. Come back here with questions about the arguments they ran, and your cross-x cousins will be glad to explain. ;)

By the way, since you're doing extemp, you DEFINITELY want to get yourself a subscription to Economist. Ask your parents for it for Christmas. They'll be impressed.

One more thing. Have you talked to your coach about how you want to do policy? He/she might be able to set you up with a partner from another school and you can debate as a hybrid team. This is usually an organizational disaster and you probably won't do very well, and it's quite a lot of work for your coach to set it up, but it can be done if there's another school nearby that has a policy team with an odd number of debaters.

I didnt know it was actually possible to have a hybrid team for anything, I talked to one of the best coaches in the state( Mrs. Janet Rose from Kearney,NE) about people from different schools being partners and she said "no". But maybe I can talk to my teacher and see if he would accept a policy hybrid team... that would be amazing.

Thanks for all your guyz help.

Do you live in Nebraska? If so, where and what school do you attend?

I live in bellevue... and we're the only school that competes in debate.

Sadly, we'll never have a policy team *tear*.

Is this because your coach actively forbids it, or because your coach doesn't endorse or teach it?

If the latter is true, then I would recommend talking to your coach about your interest, or attempting to rope one of your fellow novices into undertaking policy. There are resources online that are extremely helpful for teaching novices the basics, and it would not be difficult to teach yourself through what's available on the internet a policy program at your school helps, sure, but it is definitely not necessary for competing in policy debate.

Also, if you're very, very sure that you want to do policy, transferring is another option. To my limited geographic knowledge, Bellevue borders Omaha and the Millard suburbs, and all three of the Millard high schools have policy programs to some degree. Millard South's has a well-established policy program, Millard North recently suffered the retirement of a long-standing head coach, but I believe is still in the game, and according the rumor mill, Millard West is starting a brand-new program this year. Westside also has a program.

If none of those options work out, then I would say to stick with LD. It's the closest of the debate formats to policy, and is probably the only form of. The same goes for basic evidence that you would use as a novice. Having high school debate, besides policy, that isn't a big waste of a weekend.

• Downvote 1

Hexagonsun,

My teacher doesn't exactly endorse anything other than PF... last year as a novice all we did was have pf shoved down our throats. But luckily my bff pulled me into congress. I was considering actually competing LD last year, but my coach said if I wanted to do it I had to figure it out all by myself. My coach isnt exactly my cup of tea... and his teaching style leaves a lot to be desired; basically he needs to get his head straight. But I'll live with him this year.

I'd gladly transfer if it wasnt my senior year.... But you are right, the Millard schools have some amazing debaters.

Its okay, there's always forensics ( extemp,info,oratory) and LD. I'll make it.

Thank - you for your concern though.

its our first year in policy debate, and we have three coaches that tell us completely different things. they haven't spent like any time explaining the terms. they gave us a packet that is supposed to explain it all, but we are completely lost!! just a couple of questions: what exactly are harms??? and what does perm mean?? and does anyone have any advice for us????

My advice on preparing you to do well in college debate is learn to flow... this can not be stressed enough.

After that the rest you can pick up as you go. But learning to flow well is going to be the hardest obstacle in transitioning to college CX, everything else can be read in a book and then applied to a practice round.

BTW, U of Vermont and Ariz. St. Univ. have excellent college camps in the middle of each summer. WHEN you select a college (and if they have CX) it would be worth your weight in Novice trophies to go to one of these two camps.

GL

As for Banonyme, your situation may be just as undesirable as having no debate at all. My advice is to get with the one who knows the most about the event you want to do, or who you get along with the most, then follow them around asking Qs. Try to set up a time with other interested students (who are interested in the same type of debate as you) after school when that teacher can better instruct you all individually.

I am really hoping for your sake that it is just that they are trying to give you a basic knowledge of each so that you can make the decision for yourself as to which type of debate you want to be doing. If not... go to a tournament and try to find a mentor coach/debater there that can answer some of your questions.

Lastly feel free to use us as a resource, but do read the debate bible first it will answer so many of your questions.

• Downvote 1

Just thought I'd let you know that we just finished our first tournament. We won 2 rounds and lost 2 rounds. Thank you so much for your help!!!!!!! We understand what's going on sooo much better. So just thought I'd let you know that... Thanks!!

For me, going to camp helped alot. Because there you have teachers that know what they are doing and will show you how to debate before then make you.

• Downvote 1

Hexagonsun,

My teacher doesn't exactly endorse anything other than PF... last year as a novice all we did was have pf shoved down our throats. But luckily my bff pulled me into congress. I was considering actually competing LD last year, but my coach said if I wanted to do it I had to figure it out all by myself. My coach isnt exactly my cup of tea... and his teaching style leaves a lot to be desired; basically he needs to get his head straight. But I'll live with him this year.

I'd gladly transfer if it wasnt my senior year.... But you are right, the Millard schools have some amazing debaters.

Its okay, there's always forensics ( extemp,info,oratory) and LD. I'll make it.

Thank - you for your concern though.

Unfortunetally our coach will never understand anything other than PF, our novice don't even know how to write a speech much less prepare a case. Its pathetic, I almost did LD my novice year, but as I started to read more about it I got totally confused so I did varsity congress cold turkey.

I asked our coach to at least explain to us what Policy is, and all he'll do is say it costs too much. I have a lot of novice that come up to me wondering what it is, and I'm not really even sure how to begin to explain it to them in a way they will comprehend because the phrase "PF" or "LD" or Aff or Neg can confuse them.

Any ideas what to do with a coach that can't coach or doesn't want to and a bunch of novice that have no idea what is going on?

Unfortunetally our coach will never understand anything other than PF, our novice don't even know how to write a speech much less prepare a case. Its pathetic, I almost did LD my novice year, but as I started to read more about it I got totally confused so I did varsity congress cold turkey.

I asked our coach to at least explain to us what Policy is, and all he'll do is say it costs too much. I have a lot of novice that come up to me wondering what it is, and I'm not really even sure how to begin to explain it to them in a way they will comprehend because the phrase "PF" or "LD" or Aff or Neg can confuse them.

Any ideas what to do with a coach that can't coach or doesn't want to and a bunch of novice that have no idea what is going on?

Dont let it discourage, my school doesnt even know we have a policy team, and as far as the cost, I'm not exactly well-to-do, so don't sweat it. And as far as learning

http://debate.uvm.edu/code/001.html

http://commfaculty.fullerton.edu/jbr...bate_bible.htm

And stay on this forum, go to camp, and chill with other Policy kids at local tourneys. If you need help hit me up on AIM:iyenobaseki

thank you very much! The first link is amazing, that will definitally help us at least know what it is if we are unable to compete. As for the second link, the computer says that it was unable to find it. But thank you, kookiephoenix.

As for the second link, the computer says that it was unable to find it. But thank you, kookiephoenix.
That's because the poster truncated the URL. Try this link and you should have no trouble...