oasasaurus

Okemos High School 2007 Invitational 09/28-09/29

Okemos 2007 Debate Tournament

FRIDAY 09/28/2007 AND SATURDAY 09/29/2007

The Okemos High School Debate team is pleased and proud to invite you to our third annual Debate Tournament. 2007 is the second year we're at the high school, we hope to continue at this great location.

DIVISIONS AND FEES

We will offer Varsity (Open) 2P and Novice 2P divisions of policy debate. Both will have 5 prelims. Open will break to octas, and Novice will break to semis unless entry conditions require a schedule revision. The fee to enter a team in either division is $35, and the fee for each half-hire (covering one 2P team) is $60.

Please make checks payable to Orion Smith. If your school does not allow this you may make checks out to Okemos High School Debate. Should you need to hire a judge please let me know ASAP.

TOURNAMENT PAIRING

We will offer two randomly paired rounds followed by three high-low within brackets debates. We will allow judge strikes for about 10% of our Varsity (Open) judging pool.

ENTRY

Entry is exclusively via email. Please send your entry to Orion Smith at smithori@msu.edu with the following information: school, number of teams, divisions, names of debaters and judges as those become available. A sample email will be available on our tournament website. Fees will be frozen at 5:00 PM the Wednesday before the tournament.

MIFA MEETING 09/28

The MIFA Forensic Council will meet on the Friday of our event (09/28) at Okemos High School from 9AM-2PM, in the library conference room.

LODGING

For the first time in three years, there is no home MSU football game the weekend of the Okemos tournament! This means hotel availability will be quite good relative to recent years. For a very inexpensive hotel we suggest the Lansing Days Inn, which has in the past given us a very competitive rate. This hotel is within easy driving distance of the tournament.

Days Inn

6501 South Pennsylvania, Lansing MI 48911 (517) 393-1650

Alternately for inexpensive hotel space there is the Super 8 in East Lansing:

2736 East Grand River Ave.

East Lansing, MI 48823 (517) 337-1621

Unfortunately this year, the small size of our squad prevents us from housing any debaters. We apologize for the inconvenience.

SCHEDULE

Registration on Friday 09/28 is from 2:35 to 3:15 in the cafeteria. Complete tournament schedule will be available at the tournament website.

WEBSITE

http://okemos.debateteams.net

(click on Tournament)

CONTACT

Orion Smith, tournament director

smithori@msu.edu

(517) 490-0376 (cell)

(517) 432-4022 (work)

TOURNAMENT LOCATION

Okemos High School

2800 Jolly Rd.

Okemos, MI 48864

We hope to see you at the end of September!

If anyone needs a judge for the tournament, or someone to cut cards, hit me up. If you hire me to judge i'll help prep your teams before rounds.

Lodging not necessary.

neal valley

nvalley AT gmail DOT com

I will not be going to Okemos, as much as it breaks my heart because its a sweet tourney, no doubt about it. On varsity FHN MK (Morris Klanderman) is going, and we are uncaging a ton (6 teams ?) of novices.

I will not be going to Okemos, as much as it breaks my heart because its a sweet tourney, no doubt about it. On varsity FHN MK (Morris Klanderman) is going, and we are uncaging a ton (6 teams ?) of novices.

Not 6 FHN novice teams, but 6 people in Novice so far from FHN unless there's something Judy isn't telling me. :)

Not 6 FHN novice teams, but 6 people in Novice so far from FHN unless there's something Judy isn't telling me. :)

Yeah, that's what I meant. Sorry, Im not in the debate class, therefore I have no idea how many novices interested in pursuing debate we have. All I know is that we have a lot....a lot....but yeah 3 novice teams.

Im so pissed I cant go: im missing a debate tourney that ACTUALLY has a different brand of pizza than lil' ceasers......sigh.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Sorry, Im not in the debate class, therefore I have no idea how many novices interested in pursuing debate we have. All I know is that we have a lot....a lot....but yeah 3 novice teams.

Im so pissed I cant go: im missing a debate tourney that ACTUALLY has a different brand of pizza than lil' ceasers......sigh.

I really hate to disappoint, but - uh - it's Little Caesar's on Saturday. I am ordering some more varied toppings than pepperoni however. For example I love pineapple.

However, Friday night is pasta from Fazoli's! Breadsticks and salad will accompany.

A good combination (although maybe a bit daring for young palates) is pineapple, onion and anchovies. Gets you your daily dose of Omega-3 fat...nothing like a diet rich in ocean fish.

Have fun and good luck having a glitch-free tournament!

My personal favorite is pepperoni and pineapple, though alas we are only allotted one topping per 'za in large orders.

I would like to proudly announce that this year I will be making good on a dream I have had for several years now.

chilipots.jpg

Those are chili pots, defrosting on my stove as of Wednesday night. One is five gallons, the other is (I think) three.