Sign in to follow this  
jimpeterson

Food not Bombs Aff

Food not Bombs is a decentralized charity organization that takes unused wasted food from supermarkets and gives it to the hungry. The whole premise is that the money spent in one day on weapons could feed everyone in the world for a year. This is obviosuly fucked up.

I was on their site the other day and found out that they have groups in africa. This case would be good for claiming an anti-capitalist/militarist/state advantage.

Heard of anyone that has cut this? T would be a bitch, but it would be a fun aff.

• Downvote 1

This echoes the "Drop Debt, not Bombs" slogan of the debt relief aff from UTNIF. I see two ways this aff could be run to claim the advantages you're talking about.

The first is that it would be a take x amount of money from the military and funnel it into Food not Bombs. The problem with this is one is that it's probably extra-topical, but that's arguable.

The second way is to channel some obscene amount of money into Food not Bombs, more than (or at least comparable to) what we're spending on the military. Of course, you'd be hard-pressed (probably) to find solvency advocates other than your Zizek "take it to the impossible"/demand cards.

• Downvote 2

Hm, after looking at the Wiki, it looks like Food Not Bombs has one chapter in Africa and only serves vegan/vegetarian food. And apparently the FBI also suspects it has terrorist connections.

Yeah topicality will definitely be a problem.

In regard to the accusations of terrorism, this probably stems from their anarchist sympathies. The FBI empirically likes to label anarchist groups "terrorists".

I like the military funding idea, if I could win extra-topicality I'd have pretty good solvency for militarism solvency.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong the terrorist accusation. I just found it interesting.

The only shadily unique reason the aff is different from other affs that specify their funding is that there's some sort of literature base justifying it.

takes unused wasted food from supermarkets and gives it to the hungry.

That's equivalent to giving a carrot to a homeless on the street.

It's hard to fiat that every single supermarket in the United States can dump their extra food into this big charity foundation.

Back to my analogy, if we were talking in terms of reality, the amount of food that would actually be donated would be hardly signficant to feed the Africans.

Jus my opinion

• Downvote 1

Back to my analogy, if we were talking in terms of reality, the amount of food that would actually be donated would be hardly signficant to feed the Africans.

This is the conclusion that I came to, and why I'm not cutting the aff. It might make a good K alt though..

no, its not a terrorist organization

its an activist organiztion that usually dumpster dives the food(usually from like resurants that throw away perfectly good food at the end of the night, cooks it and then gives it out........trying to create solidarity and advocating no war

Sign in to follow this