Lynn C. Thompson

Nebraska 07-08

I think last time I judged UNK it was a Kearney/Kearney round robin. Rachel had that awesome and badass timer, I remember that much for sure.

Fixed.

Who's going to CRWash?

For that matter, what out-of-state tourneys are people going to throughout the year?

MSHS will have two policy teams at CRWash. Me/Keri and Ian/David.

For that matter, what out-of-state tourneys are people going to throughout the year?

The only out-of-state tournament Norfolk will be attending is Yankton, SD. I'm sure you can tell how excited we are about that.

I will be at CRWash! :) That said...nowhere to sleep... I don't suppose anyone will let me crash on their floor Friday night?

you can stay at my place kappy. of course, i'm not going to wash so "my place" is 1840 N. Garfield, Lincoln, NE.

on another note, i'm honored to be a part of the blake legacy (at least for one school). and to think all it took was an immature chinese kid and a coaches party.

hmmmm.... while that is tempting, "my place" is 142 N Hyland, Ames, IA. Its a little bit closer than Lincoln, but still a hell of a drive after round 3 Friday night :( . Seriously, though, if anyone going to the tournament gives me a spot on the floor I will pay you.

Kappy just track me down at the tournament and you can sleep in a corner of our room. We are staying at the amazing Comfort Inn North hotel.

The only out-of-state tournament Norfolk will be attending is Yankton, SD. I'm sure you can tell how excited we are about that.

That tournament isn't worth the sarcasm. . . .

• Downvote 1

so, i'm immensely bored (and will continue to be for a couple of hours). this boredom has motivated me to think about things i'd like to be reading/discussing. since we've got two newly elected moderaters, this seems like a good time to make a suggestion. like most of my ideas, this one takes the form of a discursive cooperative community. in this instance, specific to homework (more specifically papers). I'm envisioning a space where we can post papers and get feedback in the form of constructive criticism, suggestions on further reading/evidence, etc. i'd enjoy the reading a bit i'm sure, and i'd imagine others would too (this may serve to stimulate more intellectual discussion than our general "who'd going where" fare). there are enough smart people floating around that it'd proably be genuinely intellectually beneficial occassionally. i'm not worried about it turning into a "homework help line" because the forum doesn't get checked frequently enough to serve as a last minute life saver and we're all busy enough that noone's going to do all your work for you (plus i trust most of us to adere to standards of academic integrity).

logisitical note- since the posts (papers) would be relatively long and all require feedback that may also be fairly lengthy, each probably ought to get it's own thread. this also helps avoid confusing cross conversation. that's a lot of threads, and they risk getting buried by the rest of the threads. as such, i was wondering if it were possible to do a sub forum like they've done with the article requests in the K forum.

I like Dylan's idea.

That would give you all the exciting opportunity to read my ever-so-enlightening discussion of depictions of gender, race, and socioeconomic classes in "Grey's Anatomy"!!

Yeah, that was actually my assignment. My English 225H class is focused on gender in the media. Lawl.

While I think it's a great idea, I'm not sure if I will contribute much because I'm negatively self-conscious about my writing. Additionally, the major papers I'm writing this semester will probably be boring. Here's a list, you will understand.

Intergovernmental Relations paper on the Highway 275 Bypass of Valley, Nebraska.

World Politics paper on the outcomes of a conflict in the Sea Lanes of Communication in SE Asia. (With a fictional narrative.)

African Lit paper on public health assistance to Sub-Saharan Africa.

I'm in the same boat as Brent. My only papers this semester are either in spanish or are about the brain's involvement in motor performance. The latter of thes things includes things such as evaluating and scoring efficiency in skipping/walking/running/ect. and discussing a slow-motion video of a person typing. Probably not something many people care much about, at least not here. I do like the idea though for those of you who have interesting things to write this semester.

• Upvote 1

I like the idea a lot, and I'll talk to Kerpen or ISIDE[etc.] about setting up a subforum for it.

I promise to heavily moderate the papers' threads to keep them in focus and keep stupid comments and spam to a minimum.

The only major thing I'm working on this semester is research on the American Indian Movement in Nebraska and South Dakota. That won't be complete until December but I'll post it when it's finished. A lot of it will deal with the history of Pine Ridge and Rosebud Reservations in South Dakota, the reign of Richard Wilson (aka "the Hitler of Pine Ridge"), and the repression against AIM conducted by the FBI.

I've been doing a lot of secondary and primary source research on this, it's really fascinating. If anyone gets a chance, go to the State Historical Society and read Lincoln Star articles from the Sixties and Seventies. It will blow your mind. I've found articles from just after the Custer riot (Feb '73) denying there was a racism problem in South Dakota, whites and natives regularly sat at cowboy-style bars "rubbing elbows" it said. Another article, serving as propaganda to scare the white community and dissuade people who might sympathize with AIM, said Russell Means (AIM leader) had "declared war" on South Dakota. Just really interesting stuff you know.

well, given that I have the opposite problem of brent, (i think i am an awesome writer) and even though I am beyond my paper-writing days, i can post old papers or other arguments that i have written. I always love these kinds of conversations, and i'm not getting much intellectual stimulation from teaching mid- and low-level world history to sophomores. it may just be the thing to pull me from my cross-x posting slumber.

btw, although i don't watch grey's anatomy, i await eagerly Rachel's gender and media paper

I will probably post both of my term papers, one being the Abuse of Presidential Power in both Lincoln and Bush's terms and a case study of the upcoming gitmo bay case before the supreme court.

• Upvote 1

I have a term paper on ideology and postmarxism due for independent study philosophy at the end of the semester (in January) I'd love to post a rough draft and then toss around ideas...

• Downvote 1

I have a term paper on ideology and postmarxism due for independent study philosophy at the end of the semester (in January) I'd love to post a rough draft and then toss around ideas...

That sounds like a fun topic :) .

A SERIES OF HAIKU PARADIGMS

Scott Wike

Millard South High School

# of years debated in HS 4 What School Millard South

# of years debated in College 0 What College/University N/A

Currently a (check all that apply) Head HS Coach (4 years) Assistant Coach (3 years before that) & Debate Fan who regularly judges HS debate (7 years with around 75 rounds a topic)

# of rounds on this year’s HS Topic 5-10

What paradigm best describes your approach to debate?

Tabula Rasa

What do you think the Aff burdens should be?

Necessary Plan

Static defense of topic

Hate fiat? That’s fine

What do you think the Neg burdens should be?

No preconceptions

Beyond disproving Aff plan

Tell me how to vote

How I feel about delivery (slow vs. fast)?

Words like gusting wind

As long as the howl is clear

Avoid falling trees

How I feel about generic Disads, Counter Plans, Kritiks?

Nothing is taboo

Though understanding is key

For both me and you

How I feel about case debates?

A well researched case

Deserves at least lip service

If not a good dump

http://www.cross-x.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1514276#post1514276

• Upvote 1