Lynn C. Thompson

Nebraska 07-08

Yeah, that is horrible... and what I'm worried about.

Does anyone have knowledge... or know somebody I can contact asking if they are mixing them at Norfolk... or will I have to wait untill people start signing up for the tourney ?

Yeah, that is horrible... and what I'm worried about.

Does anyone have knowledge... or know somebody I can contact asking if they are mixing them at Norfolk... or will I have to wait untill people start signing up for the tourney ?

There is no way of knowing until we get all of the registrations in.

Morning all,

I am an ex-hs debater now attending UNO, and I'd be interested in judging some policy rounds in the area if there are any. Care to point me in the right direction?

I do know the tourney schedule for this year... it's:

November 3, Lincoln SW

November 10, Norfolk

November 17, Millard South

December 1, Lincoln NE ... which I think has become Milard West

December 8, Lincoln HS

December 15, UNK

Janauary 5, Millard North

Janauary 12, Omaha Westside

Janauary 19, Fremont

Janauary 26, Omaha Central

Feburary 2, Kearney

Feburary 9, Lincoln SE

Feburary 16, Lincoln East

Feburary 23,Millard West

March 15, Kearney (state)

Districts still TBA

Maybe, you could try and contact the schools where the tourneys are being hosted and see if they need judges ?

Does UNO, have a policy team ?

Hey thanks. Also, what's the style like in Nebraska? I originally hail from Kansas, and there it's a crapshoot based on what kind of judge you get.

To my knowledge, UNO does not have a policy team. Tho if they do I don't think I would be a part. No time :(

From my experience, almost all of the Nebraska judges will listen to any arguments that are made intelligently, regardless of what style they are made in. There are also some judges who prefer straight-up policy debate to kritik debate, and they tend to see more policy-oriented rounds, but there aren't too many who will reject an argument on face for being too kritikal. Although, if a team is attempting a performance type of debate, there are a lot of Nebraska judges who will be skeptical of their approach.

This has influenced Nebraska debate by allowing the debaters to run the arguments they and their coaches think are the best without having to unduly worry about whether or not their argument will be accepted. I think teams usually make an attempt at judge adaptation (at least, we try to), but it's still more of a debater-focused kind of debate, which makes stylistic choices an area that is open to experimentation.

The last couple of years, I'd say Nebraska debate has tilted a bit more to the left (kritikal) than the right (policy) based on the number of K rounds I've debated here, although there are still plenty of nuclear war scenarios, DAs, counterplans, etc. to go around, and there are successful teams from Nebraska who have not been K-orientated. However, the composition of the circuit is a little different this year, so that could change.

Speed is almost uniformly accepted. Case debate tends to be used as a supplementary position to bolster other positions, rather than a way to win the round in and of itself, although there are a few exceptions to that rule (I've both won on the neg and lost on the aff on case turns). Some teams (*cough*Millard South*cough*) run topicality a lot.

Based on my understanding of Kansas debate, I'd say Nebraska is a little closer to the way the national circuit debates than it is to the way Kansas debates.

Hope that helps.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This has influenced Nebraska debate by allowing the debaters to run the arguments their coaches think are the best

(*cough*Millard South*cough*)

QFA

• Upvote 1

Hey... you know what I hate? When motherfuckers say "QFA"

Obligatory - QFA.

December 15, UNK

Oh god, NO. Please tell me that this is inaccurate. Are they really resurrecting this worthless piece of shit?

Oh god, NO. Please tell me that this is inaccurate. Are they really resurrecting this worthless piece of shit?

Yup, as far as I've been told.

(What's gone wrong there before?)

Yup, as far as I've been told.

(What's gone wrong there before?)

I don't think that tournament is coming back; even if it is, no one would go. That is the weekend of Blake, I believe. Those of us who don't go to Blake will be going to Lincoln North Star. There is also a major speech tournament at UNL.

So... even if there is a UNK tournament, I doubt anyone will be going. I know for sure that Norfolk won't.

Janauary 26, Omaha Central

Last I heard Central was not having a tournament this year because their administration will not let them. Last year Skutt had their tournament that weekend and it was pretty well run for their first time around.

Scott Wike - Millard South Debate

I don't think that tournament is coming back; even if it is, no one would go. That is the weekend of Blake, I believe. Those of us who don't go to Blake will be going to Lincoln North Star. There is also a major speech tournament at UNL.

So... even if there is a UNK tournament, I doubt anyone will be going. I know for sure that Norfolk won't.

So I'm assuming that the UNL tourney would be a better choice than the Debate tourney... I do both, and I dont know which I should pick...?

Feeling blonde here... but what is Blake ?

Last I heard Central was not having a tournament this year because their administration will not let them. Last year Skutt had their tournament that weekend and it was pretty well run for their first time around.

Scott Wike - Millard South Debate

Okay, thanks for the heads up.. I was just going off the schedule my coach gave us;but it wouldn't shock me if it was wrong.*no sarcasm intended* I'll check up and see if Central was actually having the tourney.

Feeling blonde here... but what is Blake ?

A TOC bid tourney in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Held in a hotel, gives an award to the weirdest judge, last year Ian shoved Dylan in a pool there...

I used to consider this tournament the Norfolk/Kearney round robin.

As a junior I remember debating against MY OWN SCHOOL at the Kearney tournament.