Lynn C. Thompson

Nebraska 07-08

so, zach, you have a "high bar" for movies but enjoyed american pie? ;)

joking aside, the fact that it was about nerds it likely part of what made it more appealing than other comedies of the same type (at least to most of us). yes, the characters were "socially retarded" which is perhaps the only moment outside laughing at the jokes that i identified with the movie. further, the movie clearly wasn't about "plot" so much as humor. the jokes dragging on was, i thought, part of what made them funny. it's something i think family guy innovated. dragging a joke out way too long becomes funny in its own right.

i'm the most pretentious guy i know; i have very discerning tastes in film. that doesn't stop me from laughing at dick jokes, and the guys behind this movie (also 40year old virgin and knocked up, for those who didnt know) are good at that kind of humor.

i am legend looks, from the previews, like it's gonna be good. that's often quite decieving. i've never read the book but the charlton heston version is pretty awesome. Will Smith seems like a good match for Ridely Scott. In other words, he can play an action guy. I'd bet one of the film's problems is that Smith's character is flat - see "I am Robot" or "Independence Day". Of Ridely Scott I can say that I find him "hit or miss". Alien is apparently a classic, though not one I've ever seen. Scott has a tendency to play with genre, which can be pretty cool. here I'm thinking of Black Hawk Down, American Gangster, and maybe GI Jane. Scott is also good at reinvigorating well understood forumulas. i'm talking about Blade Runner (is absolutely monumental) and Gladiator. However, when the dude misses, he misses BIG. All i'm gonna say is "Kingdom of Heaven".

wikipedia tells me he also did that awesome apple commerial modeled after 1984, which i didn't know. it was big on the internet for awhile. it might still be around.

I thought American Gangster was really good, but it seemed like it was kind of drawn out at the end.

• Upvote 2

*apparently, my ridley scott isn't directing it. that's what you get for listening to film kids.

*apparently, my ridley scott isn't directing it. that's what you get for listening to film kids.

According to wikipedia it's being directed by Francis Lawrence, whose only major previous film directing was Constantine and a variety of pop music videos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Lawrence#Movies

So with the weather being as it is, does anyone know if Lincoln Northstar is still going on as planned?

• Upvote 2

Updates from Blake, in case anyone's interested:

MS Hawhee/Leach 3-1

MS Robinson/Lee 2-2

MS Workman/Claussen 1-3?? Maybe 2-2

MS Morgan/Kaplinger 1-3

Westside either 2-2 or 3-1 (They were 2-1 going into fourth round)

Lincoln High either 1-3 or 0-4 (They were 0-3 going into fourth round)

We've got two more rounds tomorrow morning and then they're breaking to partial triples so all 4-2s should break.

• Upvote 1

Hawhee/Leach-4-2 in prelims, Brittany took 9th speaker! Dropped in octos to Greenhill(they have 6 bids) on a 3-0. Beat the OPRF team in doubles that they dropped to in sems last week at Dowling and beat this bingham team in trips

Lee/Robinson-3-3 got pulled up in the bump round(previously 3-2) to hit the top fifteen seeded Groves(also wiht bids) team and dropped :( It was close

Morgan/Kaplinger-2-4

Claussen/Workman-1-5

Westside wound up 2-4 and Lincoln High was 0-6, according to what I heard.

And while Dylan wasn't there to be pushed into a pool, Wike did dump a glass of water over Ian's head. :P It wasn't nearly as epic, but still fun to watch.

• Downvote 1

Lincoln High was 0-6, according to what I heard.

its true sadly...

it was tough competition, some close rounds, (and dare i say it tough calls) but we thoroughly enjoyed our national circuit tourney. and hope to make it to more in the future (very educational too. ;) )

congrats millard south and westside (NE represent.)

• Downvote 1

I want to go back and talk about movies, so....

Is I Am Legend going to be any good?

I went and saw that last night. It was pretty good, but it drew multiple parallels to other movies from the past. In some ways it reminded me of 28 weeks/days later. However, I think most everyone will like it.

Speaking of American Gangster, that shit was gangster. And by gangster, I mean good.

I thought it was a really good movie, but it didn't have to be that long. They kept introducing new sub-plots when the movie was more than halfway over, which made it interesting.

My verbal abuse is out of love.

Looks as if you have more than enough to go around.

That aside, I'm really exicted for National Treasure this weekend. Does anyone know if Golden Compass is worth seeing? I'm thinking about seeing it just to see why conservatives are freaking out about it.

The part that freaks out conservatives (ie, the main characters trying to kill "God") doesn't happen until the third book/movie (are they even doing sequels to the movie?).

I want to see the Golden Compass anyways, though, because I liked the book and think that most of the casting is spot-on.

I also want to see Juno.

I might have the time to see I Am Legend on Thursday. Might. Apparently it sold out at almost every showing in Lincoln and Omaha last Friday and Saturday.

On a random note, last weeks episode of The Boondocks dealing with Hurricane Katrina victims was one of the most offensive things I've seen on television in a while. Plus they've noticeably reduced Huey's role in the second season, he is now serving more time as a narrator than a character with a real influence on the show. Might be time for Aaron McGruder to exert some executive control over the way they're using his creation.

I might have the time to see I Am Legend on Thursday. Might. Apparently it sold out at almost every showing in Lincoln and Omaha last Friday and Saturday.

Although the movie was really popular it was nowhere near close to selling out. If people tell you that then they're morons because movie theaters turn people away before they officially sell out. They are only allowed to sell about 300 tickets for a 500 seat theater.

I think AVP2 is going to be extremely stupid. The first one sucked but they're still trying to make another one, go figure.

that wouldn't make a person stupid, it just means they're not privvy to insider information. arguably, it just depends on your defenition of "sold out". while you are correct that there are more seats left in the theater, they are not for sale. further, that policy is what is stupid. it denies nearly half the people who want to go see films the privelge of doing so while losing the theater profit. it can't possibly be a fire code issue, because they wouldn't put more seats in a theater than they can safely fit people. it also seems to me that the last time i was in a movie theater that was pretty packed there were nowhere near 2/5 of the seats available.

conservatives will get riled anytime anything remotely atheist (as the author of the golden compass is) attempts to get their kids to do anything.

juno is going to be a riot. national treasure suffers from two problems. the first movie and nicholas cage.