RKay

DCDS Yellowjacket Invitational Sept 7-8

Yellowjacket Debate Invitational,

Detroit Country Day School

September 7 and 8, 2007

You and your team are invited to attend the Yellowjacket Debate Invitational at Detroit Country Day School.

Some of the important information is as follows:

Location: Detroit Country Day School is at 22305 W. Thirteen Mile, Beverly Hills, Michigan 48025. This is on the southwest corner of 13 mile Road and Lahser Road. Approximately 2 miles north of I-696 or M-10. For those might know the area, we are 1/2 mile west of Groves HS. All rounds will take place at the High School. Please park in the back of the school by the tennis courts.

Registration: 2:30 - 3:00 Friday Sept 7 in the Student Center at the Upper School. The Student Center is located at the back of the building just west of the tennis courts. General meeting at 3:15 first round at 3:45.

Divisions: It's early in the season so we plan to have just one OPEN division. Enter any level of debater. No mavericks please. If we have enough teams we may split to a JV and Varsity. Please mark teams as JV or Varsity on the registration form. We will inform you as the date gets closer if there will be a division split.

Format: 5 prelims and elims (based on entries). The first two rounds will be pre-set all others will be powerpaired.

Judges: You must supply one judge for every 2 teams or fraction thereof. Some judges will be available for hire at $130.00 each, half judges will cost $65. I will take requests as long as I can fill them, so ask early. All judges are required to judge one round beyond the elimination of their team from the tournament. Thus all judges must be available for the first elimination round.

Food: We will sell dinner items on Friday and Lunch on Saturday. Coaches and judges food will be complimentary.

Fees: $50.00 per 2 person team, $130.00 for a hired judge, $65.00 for a half judge.

MAKE CHECKS PAYABLE TO: DETROIT COUNTRY DAY

Entry: Deadline for entry is Wednesday, September 5, 2007--5pm. All fees and judge commitments will be frozen at this time. Please try to enter through EMAIL--rkay@dcds.edu. If you do not get a response within 24 hours please resend. I will respond to all entries as I receive them. You also MUST SEND IN NAMES OF ALL DEBATERS AND JUDGES (including any preclusions) By Thursday Sept. 6, 2007 at 5:00 PM. You will delay the start of the tournament on Friday if you do not send in the appropriate information.

Forfeit:We will use a 15 minute rule for competitors and judges. If you are more than 15 minutes late you risk forfeit for that round. I will apologize right now if I yell at you to get to your rounds--be on time and it won't happen. Teams of offending judges will forfeit and hired judges will not be paid if they are late.

Lodging:See next page

Parking:Our school parking lots are generally full until at least 5:00. Thus, PLEASE CAR POOL OR BRING BUSES IF YOU CAN. There will be limited parking available on Friday. Saturday should be no problem. On both days it will be easier to park in the back of the school. Just follow the road around the west side of the building and it will take you to the back lot.

Contact information: Please direct all correspondence to RUTH KAY

rkay@dcds.edu Email is the best

248-646-7717 School phone (OK but you will have to leave a message and it's difficult for me to return calls during the day.)

810-953-0186 Home phone (Better than school, during the day leave a message because I won't be there!).

248-417-5252 Cell Phone--Usually a very good option (there's voice mail here) but my phone doesn't work in all parts of my school building so you may end up leaving a voice message, and I don’t answer it during class time.

248-646-2458 School Fax—Not an option I would recommend but use it as a last resort and be sure RUTH KAY is on the fax CLEARLY. It has taken a week or more for some faxes to get to me. You decide the level of risk you are willing to take.

LODGING

Please do not construe this list as any recommendation from the Tournament personnel. This is just what came up on MapQuest within 4 miles of Detroit Country Day.

Hampton Inn

27500 Northwestern Hwy, Southfield, MI (1.95 miles away)

248-356-5500

Red Roof Inn-Detroit Southfield

27660 Northwestern Hwy, Southfield, MI (1.96 miles away)

248-353-7200

Candlewood Suites

1 Corporate Dr, Southfield, MI (2.16 miles away)

248-945-0010

Extended Stay America

28500 Northwestern Hwy, Southfield, MI (2.17 miles away)

248-213-4600

Homestead Studio Suites Hotel

28500 Northwestern Hwy, Southfield, MI (2.17 miles away)

248-213-4500

Courtyard By Marriott

27027 Northwestern Hwy, Southfield, MI (2.21 miles away)

248-358-0071

Springhill Suites By Marriott

28555 Northwestern Hwy, Southfield, MI (2.26 miles away)

248-352-6100

Hilton Garden Inn-Southfield

26000 American Dr, Southfield, MI (2.35 miles away)

248-357-1100

Embassy Suites Hotel

28100 Franklin Rd, Southfield, MI (2.35 miles away)

248-350-2000

Residence Inn-Detroit Sthfld

26700 Central Park Blvd, Southfield, MI (2.41 miles away)

248-352-8900

If you have tried to enter the tournament using the email in the invite (rkay@dcds.edu) please resend your email to kayruth@gmail.com You will get a confirmation within twenty four hours. Our email service had a critical hardware failure and has been down for 5 days with no clue as to when it will be back up. So please direct all tournament business to the alternate gmail account. Thanks!

RK

Seeds

1. Okemos LW (Maria Liu/Daniel Wang) 5-0

2. Novi SZ (Bala Sekaran/Dexter Zhuang) 4-1

3. Groves BG (Sophia Goren/Maya Bhardwaj) 4-1

4. HH Dow MS (Matt Mcullough/Celine Saucier) 3-2

5. Groves KM (Mimi ? / Nick Moenck) 3-2

6. FHN PK (Matt Pinos/J. Klanderman) 3-2

7. Northview JQ (Alex Janke/Joe Quist) 3-2

8. Groves GM (Alan Gocha/Brad Meloche) 3-2

Quarters

Groves GM d Okemos LW 2-1. Weisz, Bedell, Pipkin*

Novi SZ d Northview JQ

Groves BG d FHN PK

Groves KM d HH Dow MS 2-1

Semis

Groves KM over Groves GM

Novi SZ d Groves BG 3-0

Finals

Novi SZ d Groves KM 3-0

Speakers

1. Maria Liu--Okemos LW

2. Matt Pinos--FHN PK

3. Bala Sekaran--Novi SZ

4. Dexter Zhuang--Novi SZ

5. Alex Janke--Northview JQ

6. Nick Moenck--Groves KM

7. Alan Gocha--Groves GM

8. Matt Mcullough--HH Dow MS

9. Celene Saucier--HH Dow MS

10. Leah Firestone--Groves AF

Great tournament everyone--Congrats.

I'm pretty sure there was no official case list, but there were many DCD students flowing the prelim rounds. I'm not sure if they collected cites, but they do know most of the affs. Can someone from DCD clarify?

thanks to Ruth Kay for an awesome start to the season

in reference to affs run:

groves - disease surveillance (maya/sophia at least)

okemos - ghs

northview - gag rule

cant remember any others

WB ran disease surveillance as well

Other groves teams ran water and generics

Novi ran a K generics case

The affs I know including ones that were already said:

Novi - IPR generics, disease surveillance, FGM

Groves - disease surveillance, IPR generics, PEPFAR drugs, water

HH Dow - traditional medicine (IPR?)

Okemos - GHS

Northview - Gag rule

West Bloomfield - disease surveillance

Thanks to everyone for their cooperation to help make the tournament run smoothly. A special thanks for the way everyone dealt with the tornado warning. I know the tour of the DCD basement had to be the highlight of the tournament for everyone! But you have my appreciation and thanks even though we did run very late on Friday. As for a case list, DCD students were in flowing many, if not most of the rounds. As for cites, it all depends on who was flowing the round. I don't have the complete list from the students as of yet but I'll get back here when I do.