kerpen

The Policy Agenda

What is the most important federal policy issue to you?  

856 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most important federal policy issue to you?

• Budget/Spending
    • Education
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Iraq
    • Litigation
    • Social Security
    • Taxes
    • Terrorism
    • Trade
    • Other

budget deficit could grow considerably larger if the trade balance wasnt crushing the dollar.

european banks are beginning to dump us treasuries due to the massive losses they are taking on them. hello spiral! come to papa bush!

Most of those are pretty important to me...But Arab and Muslim civil rights, as well as civil liberties in general (just because I was against it as a topic doesn't mean I don't care) are tops, plus Israel-Palestine. That's the root of a lot of terrorism.

I agree with Ankur that whoever voted for Iraq is dumb. It's a borderline nonissue.

ur moms mean the most to me.....

nah, but seeing as how i hate cap. and i hate the nazi educational sys. i would say "reform" per se is the most imp to me... (of the state)

i clearly voted for trade... and my screen shows that. but my vote did not count... hmmmm... muy interesante

Trade is a huge deal. We fuck over a ton of people worldwide because we put 3rd world farmers out of business with our subsidies. On top of that, we lose cash in tax dollars to subsidies and pay more for food because of tariffs.

i clearly voted for trade... and my screen shows that. but my vote did not count... hmmmm... muy interesante

I was about to mention that we both seemed to have voted for trade and there was only one vote for it. Weird.

Why is picking Iraq dumb? If civil war breaks out there, we're all fucked. If we keep torturing people, civil rights will erode. Instability and bad image will lead to terrorism. We'll waste money cleaning up messes we could have prevented much more cheaply. It could even affect trade, albeit indirectly through things like relations and oil. Seems to me that Iraq should be critical for anyone worried about budget/spending, taxes, terrorism, and possibly trade, which is like a quarter of the votes.

[edited for math error in last paragraph]

my decision calculus is simple:

reversing trade deficit also reverses dollar slide returning more power to the hands of the american consumer and permitting the minimum wage to be increased to inflationary levels. the influx of foreign cash gives the US increased revenue with which to improve healthcare, social security, education, etc etc. reversing the trade deficit alone would be a huge boon to the federal budget deficit (and according to some estimates, make a surplus). extracting investments from other nations reinforces our current hegemony, thus keeping China and other nations at bay and giving the state department more maneuverability. overturning the trade deficit virtually requires a reduction on our reliance of foreign energy supplies, thus mitigating our self serving oil interests in the middle east which then in turn change our objective from one of economic necessity to one of humanitarian brotherhood, eroding the blind support for israel and permitting the US to take amore neutral stance against all violence existing across borders, not merely "terrorism" as we define it, and simultaneously reducing the islamic fundamentalist view that we only interefere in the middle east so we can get oil and exploit the arabs for our own gain while treating them as inferior.

so yes. trade is my key option.

PS - i was the first to vote. your vote on trade is counted. not mine.

Very surprising that education is a big federal issue to you guys. What exactly do you want to be done?

my decision calculus is simple:

reversing trade deficit.... [is good for a lot of reasons]

trade is my key option.

We seem to be talking at cross-purposes. I agree trade is a big deal. That's why I voted for it. What I was wondering about was why voting for Iraq is stupid. It's a big issue with big impacts (listed in my last post).

No country can survive without a quality education system, much less a superpower like us.

Why not? Am I limited in any way by being a high school dropout?

Kerp,

Its empirically proven that nations with highly competitive and rigorous national education programs are performing well and rapidly outpacing America on the academic front. The fact that American businesses in the high-tech and science fields must beseige the INS with demands to increase H1 and H2 skilled visa permits is only proof that America cannot sustain itself.

To me, we need to get more aggressive in improving our standards. There is absolutely no reason (non-medical) why an American student cannot read and write after the 4th grade (Obviously discounting immigrants who just came over). I'd prefer a system where public grade school education is standardized (in terms of requirements) across the board.

I also want to see school administrations stand up to parents who still believe that their son is going to play QB for the 9ers and thus their child should be permitted to skip classes to work on his passing technique. This is absurd. Oh my word. Your student has a whole hours worth of homework? What a national disaster! Call in your lawyers! Sue for less homework! What kind of brutal slavedrivers exist in school? Please. I have personally heard similar sentiment at school board meetings. Its truly pathetic.

I also favor a high school level concentration focus option. By shifting the education standard to lower grades, you free upper grade academics to pursue education in greater depth. I personally would have benefitted considerably by an ability to forego my four course unit social studies/history requirement and instead take an extra two science electives. This is a great bridge between the academic rigor of higher education and high school, especially for those students who have already committed themselves to a particular academic goal.

I prefer to have secondary schools partner with local colleges and universities to permit academically unchallenged individuals an opportunity to put their minds to better tasks than letting them become cobwebbed and lethargic. The whole concept of letting advanced students take college classes while in high school and *gasp* have it count double as both high school and college credit seems like a realistic idea to me.

I dont think anything should change for the special education students (as far as I know the academic policies regarding those students). They should continue to be integrated into the general population and should not be kept sheltered in their own corner of the school. They too have needs which need to be met and must also gain an appreciation for the social aspect of life. Learning key social skills is important for these children, and I wouldnt want to sacrifice the opportunities they may have.

Extending the class time wouldnt be a bad idea either. 8-2:30 is not all that long a period of time, but I understadn that in the interests of extracurricular activities which are important, that extending classes isnt really a great option. But why cant class begin slightly earlier? say 7:30? or perhaps make year round school which I like as an idea very much. Just toss in a few extra weeks on each end. Instead of 180 days of class, make it 210. Shorten summer break and increase winter break slightly. Our economy doesnt need summer employment as such.

The list goes on. Care for me to keep going?

Why not? Am I limited in any way by being a high school dropout?

Its not about the success or failures of both ends of the spectrum with regards to the students... its about bringing the entire average up a notch. How successful would america be if ALL students were high school drop outs?

• Upvote 1

We're the eminent economic, cultural, and military power in the world. I suspect we're teaching our kids just fine. In fact, I'd say we focus far too much on education. If we made access to capital for starting a business as readily available as student loans are, many people would be better off.

We're the eminent economic, cultural, and military power in the world. I suspect we're teaching our kids just fine. In fact, I'd say we focus far too much on education. If we made access to capital for starting a business as readily available as student loans are, many people would be better off.

We are that because of H1 and H2. Not because we did it "ourselves"