Which 08-09 topic do you want?  

1044 members have voted

1. 1. Which 08-09 topic do you want?

• Health Care
    • Agriculture
    • Energy
    • Central Asia
    • Immigration

Thats what I asked about a couple pages back. I wouldn't start worrying until the final wording comes out, because it could change to mandate usage.

Do any of you find troubling this aspect of the energy resolution?

"The United States federal government should substantially increase alternative energy incentives in the United States."

It seems to me the topic requires incentives to be given in the U.S., but does not require the use of alternative energy to be in the U.S. Couldn't an affirmative topically have the USFG incentivize alternative energy for some obscure country/sub-national group anywhere in the world? Solar cookers for Africa would not be strategic next year, but I imagine there are strategic cases. I'm thinking of some area where American energy assistance would be key to maintaining a good relationship with some country that supplies all of our molybdenum, or whatever.

cobalt is a better choice. its price has increased steadily as out demand for hybrid car batteries has increased. just an fyi

good news to all of you who run Water as your aff case! Water is an issue in Central Asia, so if that wins, you can run basically the same aff case!!!!!

http://www.rferl.org/featuresarticle/2006/08/B19110DC-7965-41FD-A5D1-816EABC2A177.html

Has anyone mentioned yet on this thread that the choices have been narrowed to energy and health care?

• Downvote 1

perhaps next time you click reply... you can take a look at the functions available... most notably the drop down menu in between the text color (a little A with a black bar under it... and the attachments function (paperclip).

:P

Topic has been chosen:

2008-2009 NATIONAL HIGH SCHOOL DEBATE TOPIC

ALTERNATIVE ENERGY

Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially increase alternative energy incentives in the United States.

The demand for energy worldwide is expected to grow over 50 percent by 2030, and most economies are fundamentally fossil-fuel based. International competition for these fossil fuels is growing intense and access to oil especially is often located in places that are geographically hard to reach and geopolitically challenging. The United States federal government needs to articulate a sound and sustainable energy policy that pursues alternative energy resources, so that it has access to available, sustainable, and secure sources that move the country away from its addiction to fossil fuels.

Affirmative plans would require the use of incentives to promote alternative energy sources, including but not limited to solar, wind, geothermal, hydroelectric, and nuclear power, as well as, biofuels, hydrogen fuels, new technologies, and conservation measures. Negative approaches to the topic would include a number of case specific solvency debates, the problems and impacts of using government incentives, and many different disadvantage scenarios such as foreign policy implications of decreasing oil imports, collapse of economies such as those of the Middle East and Russia, and relations disadvantages, as well as, a good number of disadvantages specific to particular affirmative solutions. Counterplan ground might include states/private industry, as well as, international solutions, and critical argumentation might include capitalism and the environment. Current federal policy tends to support big oil and other fossil fuel companies; ultimately, our very civilization will pay a high price for our lack of oversight and action on the issue of energy.

Given the imprecise wording, place your bets on how long before a "tweak" is made. I give it maybe a month... ;)

My candidate: "Resolved: that the United States federal government should substantially increase incentives to promote the development of and/or transition to alternative energy sources in the United States."

this is the time for double edged technologies... like bioremediation of wastewater which just so happens to produce electricity!

I'm a first-year, so please don't flame me, but I think that an international

topic really allows for more education. I feel that central Asia is the way

to go. Now, I know people think that it might be too similar to Africa, and

I see what they're saying, but we focus so little on central Asia in any

sort of news media. I have started writing cases for the alternative

energy one, because i knew that was going to win. And i know that

people will run the same generic junk (politics, other countries compete,

et cetera), so i don't feel like it hurts to have an international topic like

CA. In fact, central asia faces a whole different set of issues, so i

suspect that the resolution might actually be fun to debate. As i said,

please don't flame, even though im new.

• Downvote 3

Is the rez definite or might they get rid of "incentives"

This is what is should be: "Resolved: The United States federal government should establish an energy policy substantially increasing alternative energy in the United States"

I'm a first-year, so please don't flame me, but I think that an international

topic really allows for more education. I feel that central Asia is the way

to go. Now, I know people think that it might be too similar to Africa, and

I see what they're saying, but we focus so little on central Asia in any

sort of news media. I have started writing cases for the alternative

energy one, because i knew that was going to win. And i know that

people will run the same generic junk (politics, other countries compete,

et cetera), so i don't feel like it hurts to have an international topic like

CA. In fact, central asia faces a whole different set of issues, so i

suspect that the resolution might actually be fun to debate. As i said,

please don't flame, even though im new.

I had two topics myself in my entire years of debate: one extemely national, and one extremely international. In terms of predictability, the national topic was easier to work with and the topic was extremely limited. I had more fun with this year's topic though because it gave a broader understanding of the world. I knew more about HIV/AIDS in my health class than a lot of the others, and I'm extremely aware of international issues, along with the problems of SSA.

However, for this year, I can see some international ideas coming into play, especially with the fact that oil is obtained by the Middle East, Russia, etc. Easily I can see consult counterplans from these areas. If you're interested in international politics, these are probably the way to go for you.

Central Asia... I am not so aware of the topic myself. It also sounds a little too close for comfort with this year's college topic... but alternative energy was probably going to win because yeah, a lot more grounds for DAs, CPs, and all that fun stuff.

• Downvote 1

I think that this will be an interesting topic this year. I'm really looking forward to all of the Top that can come out of a resolution like this one

• Downvote 1

I threw health care out right away b/c we just finished health care...in africa...but still...it seems to me as if for most of these topics you would here the same things in a different way over and over again..except for mayb central asia...i like foreign topics :D..wat do you think about that??:P:D:confused:

• Downvote 2