Wolfmother

Blocks

I wanted to write some ganeric blocks before the season started. Could you guys give me some ideas of what would come in handy during round?

• Upvote 1

i would write blocks to your most generic das: spending, a general politics block, heg, etc. as well as an international actor CP and possible some k's but i think bret is the only real k team in kansas

• Upvote 1

i would write blocks to your most generic das: spending, a general politics block, heg, etc. as well as an international actor CP and possible some k's but i think bret is the only real k team in kansas

it really depends on your aff

for starters you should make bush bad and bush good blocks with specific link turns

you also need an explanation of why the U.S. is key to do the plan, etc.

make blocks to silly specification arguments

prep 2ac and 1ar generic kritik answers... like permutation evidence, realism, a2 blippy cheating arguments like no value to life, etc.

• Upvote 3

Guest svfrey

offense is absolutely necessary

you must have good offense in any block for it to be worth its salt (of course, include other defensive arguments, empirically denied, no internal link, etc...) just don't put a straight turn and a no internal lionk in the same block, or they can just concede the no internal link and you offense goes away...

example of offense: politics- have a N/U and link turn

its strategic because

a) it forces them to go for it in the block when they might not want to

B) if they drop it, its now an advantage for you case

c) its easy to extend in the 1AR to make the 2NR's job that much harder

always put some kind of offensive theory in a CP/K block

permutations on the above two are definitely a plus

in terms of argument specific blocks: spending, politics, aid tradeoff DA's, relations DA's (china, japan, AU, etc) consult CP's, Int'l actor CP's, development, nietzsche, imperialism, colonialism, biopower, the gift (derrida/arrigo and williams), and probably a few other miscellaneous kritiks i cna;t think of right now

• Downvote 1

Blocks to have on hand:

A/Ts T, Ks, Generic D/As, I've seen some really good Generic CP/K theory blocks too. Unfortunatly I've not been following the topic closely enough to give you some good topic specific Ks, but

to add to the list that I see above here, Feminism, Federalism, Biopower/Foucault, etc

just don't put a straight turn and a no internal lionk in the same block, or they can just concede the no internal link and you offense goes away...

If they concede that there's no internal link, then their offense goes away too...

Guest svfrey
If they concede that there's no internal link, then their offense goes away too...

i know

but its an easy way to kick out of a DA if you dont want to go for it

i was assuming that the DA/K/whatever is being straight-turned wasnt the a-strat

ovbiously if you want to go for something, you answer all the 2AC args on it

Go through every camp file and make a list of every kritik, cp, disad and topicality applicable to your aff. Cut blocks to all of them.

I would reccomend going to the NDCA website where they have a list or copy of camp file- you can download the file and get the cards from there and get an idea of what blocks to write.

• Upvote 1

Regarding sticking the block with arguments:

If you run a K aff, you can include mini-kritiks in your blocks which can win rounds if they're dropped. At the very least they force the neg to go on the args in the block.

• Downvote 1

Guest svfrey

only if your aff can handle it

although the theory death counter-k put out by WFI last year works well with even a policy aff

if any one needs/wants it, my contact info is in my sig

Before you start cutting every conceivable block out of every camp file, start by thinking about previous arguments you ran into on the last couple years topics. After you've done that move onto theory shells and 2AC frontlines.

Before you start cutting every conceivable block out of every camp file, start by thinking about previous arguments you ran into on the last couple years topics. After you've done that move onto theory shells and 2AC frontlines.

Yeah I feel like the recruitment tradeoff and presidential powers d/a's will be making a comeback this year.