brorlob

Feminism?

Anyone planning on running a feminism K based on the practice of female genital mutilation in SSA? Could be used both aff and neg, likely. Just an idea for discussion.

why not FGM?
Probably because of the negative connotation of the word "mutilation".

Probably because of the negative connotation of the word "mutilation".

i think itd be easy to justify the term mutilation on the grounds of bodily integrity.

• Downvote 1

Fem = worst argument in debate

Feminism? July 12th, 2007 11:11 AM you're a douchebag for liking fem...

thanks kyle haley for being wise beyond your years.

• Downvote 1

I don't want to necro the other threads, but for those who are concerned the culturally sensitive term is "Female Genital Cutting"

Culturally sensitive...let me try one:

Hijacking = Aircraft liberation

i think itd be easy to justify the term mutilation on the grounds of bodily integrity.

Some women are mutilated, but others don't view it that way.

The argument goes like this:

West: "Women are being mutilated by having their genitals cut."

Woman: "Um, I chose to have mine cut as a cultural practice."

West: "Madam, you are clearly suffering from cultural Stockholm syndrome. Please come to the west to be liberated"

Woman: "Um, no?"

West: "Don't believe her, Media and Public. She is insane, and only defending her culture because she wants to subject other women to such torture."

Woman: "WTF?"

West: "All cutting is non-ceremonial mutilation as punishment."

Woman: "Seriously, WTF?"

Some women choose the practice *shrug*

• Downvote 1

i completely understand the argument being made, but i totally buy nussbaums 'essentialisms'- if there really is a 'choice' being made, then by all means. but the silence of women doesn't always mean acceptance.

West: "Madam, you are clearly suffering from cultural Stockholm syndrome. Please come to the west to be liberated"

West: "Don't believe her, Media and Public. She is insane, and only defending her culture because she wants to subject other women to such torture."

Debater 1: I wanna run something that i belive in

debater 2: what is that?

D1: FGM being bad.

D2: There's critiques of the term "FGM"

D1: but, its still used in a negative way for a large percent of the population

D2: But still...

D1: Okay, we can let it go. ill read Khalizad instead

D1: but, its still used in a negative way for a large percent of the population

The point of the authors isn't that mutilation in the form of cutting doesn't exist - rather, it's that westerners have a very myopic view of the practice. It's only what's been fed to them on CNN or Fox News.

The problem is that YOUR argument is a non-falsifiable claim.

congratulations...for knowing nothing. I think its pretty hard to choose to have your clitoris removed when your 6 years or younger.

• Downvote 2

The point of the authors isn't that mutilation in the form of cutting doesn't exist - rather, it's that westerners have a very myopic view of the practice. It's only what's been fed to them on CNN or Fox News.

what the fuck are you talking about? do you know how/when/why the ceremonies occur?

*Sigh*

I'm not defending non-consensual cutting, in fact assuming that is missing the point entirely.

Western society (at the behest of the media) has lumped together ALL cutting as mutilation. The fact is that not ALL cutting is mutilation. Some women choose to have the practice done for cultural reasons, much like some people choose to manipulate other parts of their physiology for cultural reasons.

The point is that in some instances the practice is considered a sacred rite by the women themselves. And Westerners slandering the practice as "mutilation" because they don't understand it is, in fact, probably not a good thing.

*Sigh*

I'm not defending non-consensual cutting, in fact assuming that is missing the point entirely.

Western society (at the behest of the media) has lumped together ALL cutting as mutilation. The fact is that not ALL cutting is mutilation. Some women choose to have the practice done for cultural reasons, much like some people choose to manipulate other parts of their physiology for cultural reasons.

The point is that in some instances the practice is considered a sacred rite by the women themselves. And Westerners slandering the practice as "mutilation" because they don't understand it is, in fact, probably not a good thing.

we get it. but choppin up young ladies vaginas so they are less likely to cheat on the pre-arranged husbands, for the most part, aint cool.

we get it. but choppin up young ladies vaginas so they are less likely to cheat on the pre-arranged husbands, for the most part, aint cool.

Correct. And?

• Upvote 1

A somewhat apt parallel to this situation can be drawn with male circumcision in American culture; many doctors in Western Europe think of it as an outdated relic of Judeo-Christian tradition and completely unnecessary. I don't think that many men mourn for the non-consensual removal of their foreskin, either..

Just so everyone is clear, I'm speaking more for the cultural relativity of the situation as opposed to the general idea. There are many kinds of FGC, and I'm not necessarily defending the most controversial kinds.

the problem is that it is STILL a bad idea.....you're view is just another elitist debater who would rather sit and critique rather than take pragmatic action.