debatetitan

Best [AFF] for SSA?

And the most solid aff for SSA is....  

93 members have voted

1. 1. And the most solid aff for SSA is....

• Solve AIDS
    • Curruption
    • Malaria
    • Genocide monitoring
    • Clean Water
    • Reverse the Global Gag Rule
    • TB
    • Debt Relief
    • Male Circumsision
    • FGM
    • Other

7. Yea i dont wanna get into the line by line either for the simple fact that this could go on forever and neither of our minds will change.

Yeah, but one of you is making sense (Topicality-wise) and the other one isn't..

My favorite AFF would definitely have to be the GGR AFF, it stays out of the Fem Ks, decreases government power, and really doesn;t have much in the way of links into the big DAs. The two biggest problems I can see are that it might be called F-X Topical, and that you might end up with a lay judge who gets all of her political opinions from the 700 Club and from Sunday Church at the Southern Baptist. Other than the current divisiveness of the issue, its really an awesome AFF.

ive did a bit of research and actually have the camp version of a gag rule/family planning aff and i have to say it is pretty nice

i dont really see why everyone is arguing so much about Topicality, like Debatetitan said, T is an issue for all negative teams, it is a generic argument and more times than not is probably being used to generate a hard link to a K or DA more than an actual abuse story.

so what if u say u can turn the advantages? good luck finding an advantage you cannot turn, its possible for any aff, but any smart 2A that understands their aff enough to defend it or can pull sum tricks should have no problem winning the case debate (aka me)

and i really think ggr really has the potential to be a popular aff this year as long as the aff is strategically set up and has smart plan text wording, all of these are key if you want to have a strong aff this year

i'd just like to mention that in semifinals of the camp tournament of the affirmative you're probably looking at, girls from my school followed my advice and ran the topicality argument i pointed out on this thread and won topicality on a 3-0 against a very very good team with louie petit and sean kennedy on the panel.

you may draw your own conclusions. i am not going to repeat the argument so it can go ignored again, or defend it against several-pointed posts that make no arguments. keep convincing yourself it's a good idea; you will be disproven during the season.

• Upvote 1

what T argument is it that your talking about? i ran this aff at camp and went 5-1 in prelims, we did lose one AFF round on a K, not T and then in octos we lost on T but not becuz we didnt answer it correctly i just didnt do QUITE enough impact analysis on the K of nuclear rhetoric and how it outweighed T, so that was why i lost, not becuz of T

so if u could just tell me what T argument it is your talking about then itd be greatly appreciated

what T argument is it that your talking about? i ran this aff at camp and went 5-1 in prelims, we did lose one AFF round on a K, not T and then in octos we lost on T but not becuz we didnt answer it correctly i just didnt do QUITE enough impact analysis on the K of nuclear rhetoric and how it outweighed T, so that was why i lost, not becuz of T

so if u could just tell me what T argument it is your talking about then itd be greatly appreciated

If you have to argue a kritik outweighs T to beat it, you PROBABLY are not topical.

what T argument is it that your talking about? ...if u could just tell me what T argument it is your talking about then itd be greatly appreciated
...the topicality argument i pointed out on this thread...i am not going to repeat the argument so it can go ignored again, or defend it against several-pointed posts that make no arguments.

read the thread

i ran this aff at camp and went 5-1 in prelims, we did lose one AFF round on a K, not T and then in octos we lost on T but not becuz we didnt answer it correctly i just didnt do QUITE enough impact analysis on the K of nuclear rhetoric and how it outweighed T, so that was why i lost, not becuz of T

first,

If you have to kritik T to beat it, you PROBABLY are not topical.

qfa.

second, if you answered T correctly, which you're asserting that you did, then the fact that you even had to have a K of their rhetoric come before T indicates to me that despite your best efforts you still couldn't win on the T flow. meaning i'm probably right.

this aff is in a double bind that a good neg team can exploit in addition to other off case positions.

either the plan text mandates teh repealing of the rule AND mandate MORE aid over the status quo, in which case any risk of a spending disad means the CP to just repeal wins

OR

it doesn't mandate an increase in aid and you go for T increase (f-x bad)

also most of the advantages are stemming of the actual repealing of the gag rule which is probably an extra topical plank. (at least the aff at UTNIF was)

this case seems to me like it will be pretty good but also alot of neg shit to run against it

this aff is in a double bind that a good neg team can exploit in addition to other off case positions.

either the plan text mandates teh repealing of the rule AND mandate MORE aid over the status quo, in which case any risk of a spending disad means the CP to just repeal wins

OR

it doesn't mandate an increase in aid and you go for T increase (f-x bad)

also most of the advantages are stemming of the actual repealing of the gag rule which is probably an extra topical plank. (at least the aff at UTNIF was)

this case seems to me like it will be pretty good but also alot of neg shit to run against it

DO you repeal the law everywhere or just in SSA? If it is everywhere, it is Extra T and you will almost ALWAYS lose

the plan text doesnt specify, but i think it means everywhere...it just says repeal the global gag rule

and side note

i dont think debt relief is a topical aff this year, and is much better served as a CP, and "corruption" isnt an aff...its a solvency deficet to plans.....

Then you will almost ALWAYS lose on extra-T. Your plan is able to grab advatages from outside of SSA. Unless you want to argue that Extra-T isn't a voting issue, or that it doesn't take away neg ground, then you are in every sense of the word, screwed

personally, I like the TB aff. I would funnal it through one of the WHO's plans that has huge amounts of solvency, take XDR-TB as a big impact, but that is not the main reason I am running it. TB has a VERY close corilation to poverty. Progreba pointed out several times in his topic paper that Poverty was the biggest issue facing SSA. Looking into the WHO website, there is HUGE amounts of evidince that shows the drain of money from the world economy, (one says 12 billion dollors a year), and how resistent strains are emerging because of poverty. There is also evidince showing that because of TB, families can lose huge amounts of money because of lack of work. Since it is untopical to go solve for poverty, then it is almost crucial for a plan to pick it up as a advatage. If you solve for poverty, you often times be able to spike out of generic arguments. Spending and budget disads become almost usless, aid stops coming in so frequently which stops corruption, and it Progreba says is true, the root of problems in Africa come from poverty.

My favorite AFF would definitely have to be the GGR AFF, it stays out of the Fem Ks...

Any affirmative can stay out of the Fem Ks as long as they have a decent Womens rights, education, or empowerment ad. Even if the neg runs the K run an add-on for womens rights and do a graffiti perm where you have the judge write on the ballot we support the movement for womens rights so vote for us by the neg. theory.

I really do like the Water area, there is really great sig/harm cards out there for it like a child dies ever 15 seconds from water contracted diseases in SSA. Another big case area that i love is Malaria... it has a lot of evidence out there... currently the versions I have equal out to be over 100 pages including the 1AC. It is amazing....

• Downvote 1

Malaria = 2 reasons

1) Most topical, GGR and Water Desal are all effects topical (don't really fit into USFG definition of public health assistance.

2) Solvency - DDT, Nets, and w/e are all amazingly effective at killing mosquitos. Lots of good cards on here, not that many neg solvency cards

You got have a bit of imagination to think up of good advantages...

DDT does not directly effect humans, but it effects the enviorment. It destroys the base of the ecological pyrimad, which would cause the rest to crumble. It would take time, but it could do that. I would find an expert saying how many years of use it would take to break the back of malaria, and then put the ban back up a year after. You therefore spike out of envirmental harms and are on a heavy solvency case.

• Downvote 1

either that or just use the numerous cards that shows how Rachel Carson was a nutcase and how no reputable institution backs her up in her un-repeatable studies. Also her wild theories about egg shell thinning... the use of ddt isnt the only possible cause, actually it is the least likely to be the cause... Those arguments really have no real warrant to them.

what do you think about child soldiers being an aff on this topic

Why is it?

but also

Why isn't it?

are you serious? Lol. UNT already has a child soldiers aff. But in terms of the "Best" aff? i would say no...

is this really coming from the kid who wanted to run child soldiers this year?

• Upvote 1

Claims that a certain Aff can have critical advantages really aren't that compelling. On this topic, ethics claims will be a standard part of most affirmative cases.

Call me crazy, but I can see a Development Aff working nicely on this topic. Now, before you start yelling and screaming that it links to every Development/Colonialism K out there, it doesn't stand alone as linking to those. Plus, if you're going to link to a development K, you might as well have built in turns in your advantages. If you win Development Good, you've won that part of the debate.

End Strength linked right into Militarism last year, but it was still successful.

The point I'm trying to get to, I guess, is that if an Aff charges head on into most generics, then it stands a better chance of beating them.

Oh yeah, and the AU can't do it :rolleyes: