Italian Sausage

Mosquitoes (nets, spray, GM bugs, etc)

Anyone finding anything negative about the President's Malaria Initiative (PMI)???

Or about how specifically the US is helping with malaria now? (i.e. funding DDT, providing bed nets, etc..???)

A problem with most affs this year will be distribution, especially with handing out malaria nets, DDT, etc. Who's going to distribute it, where it's going to be distributed, are war-torn regions where distributers could face danger part of distribution, etc.

Also, the lit pretty much says the U.S. can definitely do more for malaria now. The question is how and how much.

• Upvote 1

Genetically engineer the buggers to NOT carry malaria.

http://www.smithsonianmagazine.com/issues/2007/june/malaria-side.php

I've heard about this technology. I'm not impressed. There is simply no way to introduce the GM mosquitoes into the wild on a scale large enough for them to pass their genes to a non-trivial percentage of the population. This Medea gene just kills non-GM'd offspring - it doesn't mean more of the ones we want. The fact that a large percentage of the bug's offspring die (the ones who don't get the GM gene) doesn't actually streamline implementation all that much. Rather, it mainly helps with the later stages of breeding out the last of the non-modified mosqitoes after a large percentage of population is already composed of modified mosquitoes. This isn't nearly as important as the practical problem that the GM genes simply WILL NOT spread through the mosquito population unless a significant percentage of mosquitoes already have them. Even if this technology crosses over from fruit flies to mosquitoes, you would still have to release billions of the buggers into the wild for them to make a difference. Any way you look at it, it would still be cheaper to cover the continent with bug spray.

Anyway, I'm merging this into the mosquitoes thread. :)

This months National Geographic takes a rather negative stance to any "Perfect" treatment of Malaria. It notes that vaccine with the most hope only has a 50% treatment rate, and the malaria virus evolves to fast to create an effective treatment for those who already have it. There are treatment resistant mosquitoes to nearly all of today’s medicine, and even the newest are only expected to be useful for a little bit longer. Even DDT resistant mosquitoes are turning up as the repellent is beginning to be reapplied. To see the article go to:

http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0707/feature1/

the problem with genetically modified (GM) mosquitos is that you have a three fold problem:

1) the wild type is favored in cross-breeding mosquitos. therefore the GM mosquito will not survive in the wild, and you are back at square one.

2) the GM is favored but is unable to integrate its genes into the ppopulation to make a dent in the problems because of the problems Tomak identifies above

3) the GM is favored and successfully dominates the wild type. but this becomes a 'super bug' of sorts. without ridding the world of other diseases transmitted by the same mosquitoes, the new GM mosquitos are better able to spread other diseases so mortality from malaria might go down, but mortality from another competing disease will go up significantly.

I was just curious if anyone had an outline of an aff with standing water and having a DDT advantage or if someone could help me out with the aforementioned affirmative. It would be much appreciated.

DDT sucks man...

you should go for either genetically modified mosquitoes or nets.

claim AIDS as an advantage because malaria makes one more susceptible to the virus HIV.

then roll with poverty as another advantage.

then international credibility would be another great advantage to add here, or some type of advantage that says stopping china from doing it good and boosts our street cred.

the nets are most effective when sprayed with DDT.

solving malaria doesnt solve poverty.

standing water is solid if your plan is along the lines of sanitation and more preferably, urban planning.

• Upvote 1

solving malaria doesnt solve poverty.

yeah man, it definitely helps. you can never SOLVE for poverty...but when a million africans die a year from malaria, it's going to have an effect on the nation's economic status as a whole

my point is simply that malaria is not a cause of poverty. even if one were to eliminate malaria, poverty would exist at roughly the same rate/level. in order to change poverty, you need to address the global economic situation which plagues africa. the reason for this is simple - unemployment in SSA is functionally rampant. the deaths or prolonged work-absences of some people has no long-term effect on the african economy because of the readily available labor pool. in western economies this would not be the case because of the highly specialized nature of the labor markets, however, in africa, the overwhelming majority of jobs are for unskilled laborers of which there are plenty. without sounding like a heartless eugenics-touting fool, solving malaria do nothing for their economy, and possibly make things worse.

edit - the biggest effect on their economy is the ability to redistribute funds used to treat malaria to other endeavors. THAT is something meaningful, but that doesnt necessarily translate to an escape from relative poverty.

I was just curious if anyone had an outline of an aff with standing water and having a DDT advantage or if someone could help me out with the aforementioned affirmative. It would be much appreciated.

Check out this website:

www.rollbackmalaria.org

Good luck!

can any1 give me a site or cards about mosqitos in africa?

Check out this website:

www.rollbackmalaria.org

Good luck!

Onr third of everthing they do is Malaria - and they're plugged into almost every malaria site on earth.

www.theglobalfund.org/en

can any1 give me a site or cards about mosqitos in africa?

www.theglobalfund.org/en/

Enjoy!

Genetically engineer the buggers to NOT carry malaria.

http://www.smithsonianmagazine.com/issues/2007/june/malaria-side.php

Everything I've read is that the malaria parasites are very adaptive. What's to prevent them from using little tiny condoms?

why not send good old quinine? tonic water costs two dollars a pop and has a nice, bubbly aftertaste. feeds a family! :)

why not send good old quinine? tonic water costs two dollars a pop and has a nice, bubbly aftertaste. feeds a family! :)

National Geographic July 2007 p. 46

Quinine, which disrupts the malaria parasites' reproduction,

has saved countless lives, but it has drawbacks. It is

short-acting, and if taken too frequently can cause

serious side effects, including hearing loss.

right now DDT iws being used as one of 12 pesticides in Africa to kill malaria. however, it is only receving about 1% of the funding from the President's Malraia Initiative 08. the arument goes that currently in the PMI (Pres Mal Ini), funds arent actually getting anything done, they are "gpaying for consultants first class plane tickets, Steak dinners, and 5 star hotels." thus, even the uneffective chemicals arent being sprated. then, there is this thing called "Kill Malarial Mosquitoes! NOW!," headed up by Steven Spielman, a professor of tropical medicne at some university, this is a petition that urges bush to allocate 2/3 of the current PMI funding to the administration of ACTs (medicines that stope people/mosquitoes with malaria from spreading it) and DDT. however, this isnt gonna get anywhere because of the stigma put on DDT. this is only one possibe solvency advocate (but, i think this is the most strategic way to run the aff), and is the Notre Dame aff (at least some teams) and was put out by the Clark-Hartmann lab at the umich classic.

the ev on why the DDT/ACT combo is the way to solve is phenomenal,a dn, the YS key warrants are pretty strong (at least in that file)

any mopre questions, post or pm

-zane

right now DDT iws being used as one of 12 pesticides in Africa to kill malaria. however, it is only receving about 1% of the funding from the President's Malraia Initiative 08. the arument goes that currently in the PMI (Pres Mal Ini), funds arent actually getting anything done, they are "gpaying for consultants first class plane tickets, Steak dinners, and 5 star hotels." thus, even the uneffective chemicals arent being sprated. then, there is this thing called "Kill Malarial Mosquitoes! NOW!," headed up by Steven Spielman, a professor of tropical medicne at some university, this is a petition that urges bush to allocate 2/3 of the current PMI funding to the administration of ACTs (medicines that stope people/mosquitoes with malaria from spreading it) and DDT. however, this isnt gonna get anywhere because of the stigma put on DDT. this is only one possibe solvency advocate (but, i think this is the most strategic way to run the aff), and is the Notre Dame aff (at least some teams) and was put out by the Clark-Hartmann lab at the umich classic.

the ev on why the DDT/ACT combo is the way to solve is phenomenal,a dn, the YS key warrants are pretty strong (at least in that file)

any mopre questions, post or pm

-zane

thanks

The USFG should provide open access to the pesticide DDT to Africans in Sub-Sahara Africa

CP: only use ITN'S

there are amazing cards on why ITN'S are the most effective way to solve, and fantastic cards that DDT'S kill biodiversity which leads to extinction.