kelsinator

Prolonged Speaking Tips

Hey everyone, I'm a novice going to my first real tournament friday and saturday. I'm used to partner debating, and in this, it will be all me, the whole time. I have 3 debates back to back friday night, and 5 saturday.. I'm really nervous that I might lose my voice, I have a bit of a cold..

Do you have any tips for speaking for long periods of time? Foods to avoid, foods to eat?

I've already packed my cough drops and water bottle =)

Thanks so much!

don't eat/drink anything dairy. also, drink a ton of water, and only water, it not only helps keep your voice intact, it will also help with the cold. good luck!

i usualy drink a red bull before a tournament and one about half way through, with a few mountain dews in between, but i don't think that will help you much. try dayquil and have some chloroseptic spray with you and yea drink lots o water

I speak more loudly/get with more emotion than i should... people often mistake me for beliving all of my args... anyways i just like to pretend i do for the round. But anyways... As a result my voice starts to go even after one round. But, Drinking as much water as i can allows me to keep it for the tournament, so drink drink drink! and nothing shall be a problem.

i usualy drink a red bull before a tournament and one about half way through, with a few mountain dews in between, but i don't think that will help you much. try dayquil and have some chloroseptic spray with you and yea drink lots o water

why you're not fast. you're ionia speed.

try dayquil and have some chloroseptic spray

NO. these coat the vocal chords and slow you down.

moreover - warm, unsweetened (green) tea is best for you. not only does it keep your voice intact, it will help w/ your cold and ease digestion, etc., etc., etc....

brennan

warm, unsweetened (green) tea is best for you. not only does it keep your voice intact, it will help w/ your cold and ease digestion

Green tea's the way to go. Also, I wouldn't eat a huge meal right before you debate. That's never a good idea for obvious reasons. :)

always bring a water bottle into the round with you. bring like a nalgene bottle to tournaments in your bag or on your tubs or something. the nalgenes are the best because they seal the tighest and won't leak all over your evidence and your pants right before your 1ar....i learned that one the hard way.

I had the exact same problem at our last tournament, plus I'm in Duo, so twice as much pain. :P My advice is like everyone says, load up on a ton of water, take cold/allergy meds at night and in the morning, and use cough drops. Throat spray is good, but do it a while before the round...it makes my tongue numb. ;P

Also, if you get to coughing really bad, etc, apologize in one of your speeches. It's polite ;)

ooh ok bring tons of water (like everybody says-good listen 2 everybody-lol), don't eat chocolate-messes up ur vocal cords. try not 2 speak super loud(some people do when they spew). hmm. ok this is probably best advice i can give u: gargle with warm water b4 u go into a round & in between, salt water is even better. kind of weird but it works. also drink like a tsp. of lemon juice. im not sure y that works but it does...that will help with ur cold as well. good luck!

best advice i've seen so far... absolutely no soft drinks and the best water should be warm

don't eat/drink anything dairy. also, drink a ton of water, and only water, it not only helps keep your voice intact, it will also help with the cold. good luck!

I had an experieince where I eneded up gurgling aloe vera juice (trust me it is as nasty as it sounds). It is kind of hard to find and tastes like ass, but it helps if you are in a pinch.

Warm tea with or without honey/lemon is also good, but good like finding a tea warmer at a tournamant.

I have been sick at more than enough tournies this year to learn a few things. If your sick in the days before the tourny load up on the OJ. It will help you get better faster. At the tourny drinks lots of water and suck on cough drops. DON"T chew them or they really don't do anything for you. If it's a two-day and you think you'll be fine, take cough medicine that night. The next day follow the same water and cough drop idea. It's also a good idea to keep some tylenol, advil, etc on hand in case you start feeling really bad. But most of try to think positively and you can usely make it through that last round!

not to mention the fact that when you spread after you've eaten, the people standing in front of you will not be happy when they find food in their hair...having braces contributes to the grossness.