Sign in to follow this  
William_Stokes

TB AFF

Resolved: The USFG should fund any budgetary shortfalls in the region of Africa in the budget of The Global plan to stop TB 2006-2015

Guest fizelly27

ok wat would the brink on any advantages on this aff be and wats the warrant as to why there will be budgetary shortfalls in the future

• Downvote 1

As for budgetary shortfalls they are there now. The global plan to stop TB 2006-2015 is an actual plan, and it is in the TB section of the WHO website if you want to know more. Brink is XDR-TB pandemic, and the expanded DOTS in the plan helps that. Also, regular TB, which is a major killer now. HIV + TB as a dual pandemic has the potential to kill millions.

Clarification please, is your plan 2 fund TB fight essentially, and what methods are being used in the Global Fight.

Guest fizelly27
As for budgetary shortfalls they are there now. The global plan to stop TB 2006-2015 is an actual plan, and it is in the TB section of the WHO website if you want to know more. Brink is XDR-TB pandemic, and the expanded DOTS in the plan helps that. Also, regular TB, which is a major killer now. HIV + TB as a dual pandemic has the potential to kill millions.

ok if there is budgetary shortfalls now why havent ur harms occured

also its extra T as it goes to all of Africa. Steals my ground

Guest fizelly27
CP: That the mandate of the plan be passed in 2012.

net benefit?

P-Tix

Spending(dems say the budget will be in a surplus by 2012)

Plus with some T, and the fact that the impacts never happen.

Go to who website. PICs won't work, since it has already passed and they are short on funding. Some impacts are happening now and are about to happen. T, that one is hard but can you tell me how you lose ground before I anwser it?

Guest fizelly27

on groundi lose plan plus args. I cant say o well egypt needs this too so send this stuff to egypt as well as well as the fact u can no link my disads by saying the vountries in the northern african region are different. also u exlode limits. topic is alredi big enough with just sub saharan africa adding the rest of africqa puts an enormous research burden on the neg ( u can non unique this arg its alredi too big.) also framers intent, if they wanted u to send aid to africa as a whole they wouldnt have specified sub saharan africa. Also u lose on predictability cuz i have no ev talking bout TB in northern africa just sub saharan africa and u can no link some of those args and just say well be saving the lives of those in northern africa. Also wat harms are u talking bout happening now. Not that many ppl are dying of TB. and seriously there is no brink on extremly drug resistant TB. No brink on any advantages cuz ur inhernecy indicates that there are budgetary shortfalls now. If there are budgetary shortfalls now how come we arent dying of TB+HIv and extremdly durg resistant TB.

the case has sum potential tho so just keep on using cross x to see wat ppl will argue and then just block it out.

Now to avoid these brink args. You could find sum inherncy that talks bout how if the US doesnt fund now there harms will happen.

Also ur gunna run into Fx t all the time and as the rez doesnt specifically call for FX judges wont be as lenient next yr

Not many people are dying of TB HERE.

.TB is still causes over 1,000,000 deaths each year

Who, 07

The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that the largest number of new TB cases in 2005 occurred in the South-East Asia Region, which accounted for 34% of incident cases globally. However, the estimated incidence rate in sub-Saharan Africa is nearly twice that of the South-East Asia Region, at nearly 350 cases per 100 000 population.

It is estimated that 1.6 million deaths resulted from TB in 2005. Both the highest number of deaths and the highest mortality per capita are in the Africa Region. The TB epidemic in Africa grew rapidly during the 1990s, but this growth has been slowing each year, and incidence rates now appear to have stabilized or begun to fall.

In 2005, estimated per capita TB incidence was stable or falling in all six WHO regions. However, the slow decline in incidence rates per capita is offset by population growth. Consequently, the number of new cases arising each year is still increasing globally and in the WHO regions of Africa, the Eastern Mediterranean and South-East Asia.

people are dying of TB and XDR-TB in Africa.

1. A antibiotic resistent strain of TB in Africa could kill millions

NY times, 07

A virulent strain of tuberculosis has killed many in South Africa over the past year and may be spreading throughout sub-Saharan Africa.

“ Several expressed concern at what they called South Africa’s sluggish response to a health emergency that, left unchecked, could prove hugely expensive to contain and could threaten millions across sub-Saharan Africa. “

This TB strain is extremely drug resistant and thus more difficult to properly treat than other strains.

“The form of TB, known as XDR for extensively drug-resistant, cannot be effectively treated with most first- and second-line tuberculosis drugs, and some doctors consider it incurable. “

The existence of XDR TB in South Africa is alarming because HIV-positive people are especially susceptible to TB, and South Africa is the center of the world’s AIDS pandemic with a very large HIV-positive population.

“Should XDR TB gain a foothold in the H.I.V.-positive population, it could wreak havoc not only among the five million South Africans who carry the virus, but the tens of millions more throughout sub-Saharan Africa.”

If the spread of XDR TB is not slowed and it reaches the rest of Sub-Saharan Africa, the health and lives of of millions of people may be at risk.

The combination of HIV and TB is a deadly combination killing in huge numbers in SSA. XDR-TB and HIV would be even deadlier, since they people with HIV have a weak immune system, and drugs are weak against XDR-TB, such a combination would be, well, deadly.

T issue. There is only one country in North Africa that is included in the total plan, Algereia. Since the plan does not say you have to increase aid to all of Africa, then I would find some thing that Algeria does, like corruption, that would make us say they wouldn't be included in the plan, and we would not fund it if they were. It might be extra topical, but I would throw a advatage together that would say countries other then Algeria would shape up if this plan were done, which would make it topical.

F/X topicality. F/X, in my opinion, is almost required in this years resolution as well. Gov. to Gov. spending is F/X, Gov. to NGO is F/X, the only thing that is not F/X is Peace corps, USAID, or some other govermental organization. This takes away from the affs ground as well, not allowing educational value to come into play. We can't learn about native NGO's, and most current aid to Africa.

NY times, 07

A virulent strain of tuberculosis has killed many in South Africa over the past year and may be spreading throughout sub-Saharan Africa.

“ Several expressed concern at what they called South Africa’s sluggish response to a health emergency that, left unchecked, could prove hugely expensive to contain and could threaten millions across sub-Saharan Africa. “

This TB strain is extremely drug resistant and thus more difficult to properly treat than other strains.

“The form of TB, known as XDR for extensively drug-resistant, cannot be effectively treated with most first- and second-line tuberculosis drugs, and some doctors consider it incurable. “

The existence of XDR TB in South Africa is alarming because HIV-positive people are especially susceptible to TB, and South Africa is the center of the world’s AIDS pandemic with a very large HIV-positive population.

“Should XDR TB gain a foothold in the H.I.V.-positive population, it could wreak havoc not only among the five million South Africans who carry the virus, but the tens of millions more throughout sub-Saharan Africa.”

If the spread of XDR TB is not slowed and it reaches the rest of Sub-Saharan Africa, the health and lives of of millions of people may be at risk.

Doesn't this hurt your case? If you're talking about a antibiotic resistant TB strain killing millions, i.e. a strain that has become resistant to drugs, isn't giving money to an organization/plan that gives drugs to combat TB? If they're giving antibiotics, wouldn't be more likely that an antibiotic strain of TB would appear?

Also, I don't think this aff is topical. First, you are, at best, effectually topical, which was discussed earlier. Second, I think your plan doesn't meet the word "its" in the resolution. "Its" would be a possessive term of the phrase United States federal government and would modify public health assistance. Since you don't increase the USFG's public health assistance, and instead increase the public health assistance of the Global TB Plan, I think you are untopical. I don't really know though, thats just what I think.

Doesn't this hurt your case? If you're talking about a antibiotic resistant TB strain killing millions, i.e. a strain that has become resistant to drugs, isn't giving money to an organization/plan that gives drugs to combat TB? If they're giving antibiotics, wouldn't be more likely that an antibiotic strain of TB would appear?

Also, I don't think this aff is topical. First, you are, at best, effectually topical, which was discussed earlier. Second, I think your plan doesn't meet the word "its" in the resolution. "Its" would be a possessive term of the phrase United States federal government and would modify public health assistance. Since you don't increase the USFG's public health assistance, and instead increase the public health assistance of the Global TB Plan, I think you are untopical. I don't really know though, thats just what I think.

The plan increases DOTS and DOTS +, which combat this. Look at the WHO website for it. Based on your definition of its, then the Federal goverment itself has to go out and and increase its health assistence. THat means that nothing put in the federal goverment budget can do that. Peace corps and USAID can't do the plan, that takes away to much aff ground for the T to be a voter.

No, it just means that the USFG, or one of its subsidies, must carry out the plan. Peace Corps and USAID are run by the gov't and would be topical. Simply funding an NGO isn't.

And I don't think USAID would be completely topical either because its partly run by other organizations and it also gives aid to places other than SSA, so there is no guarantee that the aid goes to SSA.

Brink is XDR-TB pandemic, and the expanded DOTS in the plan helps that. Also, regular TB, which is a major killer now. HIV + TB as a dual pandemic has the potential to kill millions.

Farmers book is supposed to have some excellent stuff about how DOTS solves for drug resistance--plus there are cards out there talking about how there really is no way to correctly determine the number of TB cases in africa as the facilities are so terrible -- brink is functionally now, must act now etc., etc.

The plan increases DOTS and DOTS +, which combat this. Look at the WHO website for it. Based on your definition of its, then the Federal goverment itself has to go out and and increase its health assistence. THat means that nothing put in the federal goverment budget can do that. Peace corps and USAID can't do the plan, that takes away to much aff ground for the T to be a voter.

Again, find a card talking about how virtually all the USFG's bilateral aid to africa is via NGOs (i know there is one) -- that should help a bit with T its

No, it just means that the USFG, or one of its subsidies, must carry out the plan. Peace Corps and USAID are run by the gov't and would be topical. Simply funding an NGO isn't.

And I don't think USAID would be completely topical either because its partly run by other organizations and it also gives aid to places other than SSA, so there is no guarantee that the aid goes to SSA.

Even with those standerds, I would still claim that we lose to much ground, because we would

CP: That the mandate of the plan be passed in 2012.

lol, a delay cp.

Go to who website. PICs won't work, since it has already passed and they are short on funding. Some impacts are happening now and are about to happen. T, that one is hard but can you tell me how you lose ground before I anwser it?

The CP is a delay, (like scott said). That the USFG fund or do your plan in 2012. The funding will be there in 2012 because the budget will be in surplus and that also helps it avoid spending DA's. And of course P-tix, unless you have scenarios for 2012. The whole "PIC's don't work" thing goes down the drain when applied to this CP.

Another argument you should block out is that CP from the U of Chi site. It's a pic or something for resolved...I can give you the specs. if you want them.

Plus, you should probably re-word your plan text, as pointed out by fizelly27, to say "Sub-Saharan Africa", considering the fact that your plan text, if that's what it is right now, includes the entirety of the continent. That would be his ground loss argument.

Just out of curiosity, why haven't/have you considered the WHOs stopTB program? (and if you have, why didn't you like it?) And, does the Global Fund actually go into SSA and administer the drugs and set up programs and crap or does it give the money it gets to other programs in the WHO to do those things? I always got the impression that it did the latter but i may very well be wrong.

I am not sure. (Thefirstruleofdebate)A delay CP wouldn't work because the plan would be done three years after it had been fully funded. If you don't know what I am saying, it is that the Global plan to stop TB 2006-2015 is just that. By funding now we get five extra years of solving TB and a XDR-TB brink impact. If funded in 2012, we get three years only, and it is assumed that XDR-TB has spread over the planet by then.(ScottJ, Saske, bacon bitz) I would change the wording of the plan text though(Yellowfoot)

Evidince

Observation 2: Harms; TB causes problems in SSA

A: Disease

1. TB is still causes over 1,000,000 deaths each year

Who, 07

The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that the largest number of new TB cases in 2005 occurred in the South-East Asia Region, which accounted for 34% of incident cases globally. However, the estimated incidence rate in sub-Saharan Africa is nearly twice that of the South-East Asia Region, at nearly 350 cases per 100 000 population.

It is estimated that 1.6 million deaths resulted from TB in 2005. Both the highest number of deaths and the highest mortality per capita are in the Africa Region. The TB epidemic in Africa grew rapidly during the 1990s, but this growth has been slowing each year, and incidence rates now appear to have stabilized or begun to fall.

In 2005, estimated per capita TB incidence was stable or falling in all six WHO regions. However, the slow decline in incidence rates per capita is offset by population growth. Consequently, the number of new cases arising each year is still increasing globally and in the WHO regions of Africa, the Eastern Mediterranean and South-East Asia.

B: XDR-TB

NY times, 07

2. XDR-TB would be virtuallty impossible to stop on a global scale

Steven DiJoseph, writer for newsinferno, 2006

http://www.newsinferno.com/archives/1022

The real concern, however, is the emergence of XDR-TB since that strain would make even advanced countries, with the latest antibiotics, vulnerable to epidemics. In short, XDR-TB could make it virtually impossible to control TB on a global scale.

C: TB and HIV

1)TB is a major killer for those who have HIV

WHO, 07

HIV is the main reason for failure to meet Tuberculosis (TB) control targets in high HIV settings. TB is a major cause of death among people living with HIV/AIDS. Sub-Saharan Africa bears the brunt of the HIV fuelled TB epidemic. The rapidly increasing HIV epidemic in other parts of the world could also increase the number of HIV-related TB cases. In order to control TB in high HIV settings, the DOTS strategy should be complemented with additional collaborative TB/HIV activities. These collaborative TB/HIV activities have the objectives of creating the mechanism of collaboration between TB and HIV/AIDS programmes, reducing the burden of TB among People Living with HIV/AIDS (PLWHA) and reducing the burden of HIV among TB patients.

Sign in to follow this