an_morgan

Nebraska Summer 2007

So my brother got home from Summer school today and told me that, during class, the Elks club came in and had everyone bow their heads to join them in prayer. Since this is Norfolk, I'm concerned it will just blow over and nothing will be done, especially since the last person to complain about a prayer (given at a graduation ceremony) recieved a slew of death threats. Anyone know what could be done without making your family the center of public hatred?

Dylan... you are the only one who hasn't given me a file for the NFL coop... you don't want Nebraska to lose and it to be all your fault do you... come on... less pot more cutting econ cards.

Scott Wike - Millard South Debate

• Upvote 1

Anonymous letter to the editor of the local newspaper? I don't know much about Norfolk's newspaper.

I don't think the Daily News publishes unattributed letters, but newspapers often don't verify the author. It should be easy to use a false name.

• Upvote 1

I didn't find it so entertaining.

you will when you notice that the "Ben" character is Ian!!! He is exactly like Ian! All the way down to the cackle laugh! It's so wierd!

I'm not sure there's anything you can do about it. People do what they can get away with, and smaller towns in conservative areas are usually able to get away with fudging the separation of church and state, because no one is willing to suffer the backlash for taking a strong stand (and understandably so). When people have been doing things the same way for many years, it takes a lot to jolt them out of old habits, and I am not sure that anything short of a total meltdown would be able to get the church out of the schools in rural Nebraska.

My cousin's public high school also had a prayer at graduation (she went to high school in Malcolm, which is a small town outside of Lincoln). If there was anyone besides me who had an issue with it, I never heard about it. I imagine that when I attend her brother's graduation next year, the prayer will be said again... And I doubt anything would have been done even if someone had complained, barring a lawsuit.

Tanner, I think the best way for you to go about this is my writing some kind of letter to the paper, the teacher, the Elks Club member, the principle of NHS, and the school board. I think your letter should address the fact that while it wasn't a person affiliated in any way with the school, the teacher should have known better that you're not really supposed to allow people to instruct others to bow their heads in public schools. I think that the legal outlet will probably be more to the point and more frustrating - they will tell you that it wasn't a school official and it wasn't mandatory which means that you can file any claims you want but courts won't take them very seriously. Honestly, the best way to fix dis shit is by making it public that you don't think its cool for that shit to happen in schools.

• Upvote 1

from a legal standpoint, there is more actionable than cole suggests. mandatory nature is not really necessary. Any time the school or a school representative advocates or endorses a particular religious affiliation, bounds have been overstepped. There have been suggestions that even openly displaying/wearing crosses or other such religious paraphanelia fail to meet this standard.

Not to suggest that this is legal advice, just my understanding of the situation regarding religion in schools.

Yeah, I am nearly certain that the prayer being mandatory is moot since, even in the event that you can "choose not to participate," the practice somewhat marginalizes those who exercise that choice.

The issue now, I think, is whether or not it is excusable because it was a guy from the Elks club (and not NHS) delivering the prayer. If that is legal to do, my concern is that it would just be a loophole for making the practice more common. A teacher could just have a different guest speaker in every Monday that, "on his or her own accord" decides to lead a prayer in addition to their "presentation". The school could then argue that it wasn't endorsing the prayer, but rather it was the speaker each time. I think the fact that it was conducted in a class-room, on school time, by a guest invited by the school should be enough to make it a violation of the law, but does anyone know the specifics regarding this? Ben?

I don't think you need to worry about new speakers/prayer every week. That's clearly an attempt to use the letter of the law against it's spirit.

It might be better to contact ACLU Nebraska about this. I've talked with Amy Miller before and she is really enthusiastic about religion/government cases.

http://www.aclunebraska.org/

Dylan... you are the only one who hasn't given me a file for the NFL coop... you don't want Nebraska to lose and it to be all your fault do you... come on... less pot more cutting econ cards.

Scott Wike - Millard South Debate

It looks like due to the current situation that that is not going to get done. The file that we're getting a hold of is only in hard copy and not written by Dylan. If you have a copier we'd be more than willing to get a copy to you. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• Upvote 1

My post wasn't meant to discourage you from pursuing legal action I was just trying to say something about how Norfolk officials won't take you seriously. They don't give a fuck about rights in schools especially when its concerning prayer.

On a side note, we were at the Faint concert last night, and a member of the second opening band got naked on stage and was soon shoved off of it by a security guard and taken to jail, where apparently he will be/was charged with a felony. Yay conservative Nebraska!!

• Upvote 1

On a side note, we were at the Faint concert last night, and a member of the second opening band got naked on stage and was soon shoved off of it by a security guard and taken to jail, where apparently he will be/was charged with a felony. Yay conservative Nebraska!!

Almost like GG Allin except without the shit and the heroin.

We've only been in Wichita about an hour and I've already decided that it is just the most wonderful place on earth. We have a scenic view from our one bed, one couch pullout four person room that shows a classy Motel 6 and an abandoned building. Thank you Wichita for jacking up your prices for this event.

I'm staying at Econostan yay.

And no that wasn't my favorite part of the concert. It was getting to see Todd Fink in an old lady's hat. The naked part was a close second, however.

The Faint was sweet if you exclude the part about the 400 pound dudes jumping on my feet. :(

PS Wichita sucks even more balls than I had thought possible.