Ankur

Ask a scientist - courtesy of Ankur

immunology isnt a subject i ever took. but here goes...

1) IgA is not only found in secretory fluids. It is also found in the serum (component of blood) therefore bypassing the external barriers is not the end of the world. Although I do not know the distribution of IgA between serum and the rest of the body, I believe that IgA is in concentrations about equal to the most of the other immunoglobulins in serum (except IgE).

2) I have never heard of Ig's being able to transmute into other Ig's. I do not know how that would be possible seeing that immunoglobulins are proteins and proteins have very precise order of amino acids and corresponding three dimensional structure. The Ig's are all quite different from one another, so in order for there to be an elevation of IgE, I would think it would be due to the body producing more IgE. So this is news to me.

3) IgE concentrations in the body (serum) are something like five times greater than the rest anyways. I dont think Carley does a very good job explaining either a) how the transmutation occurs or why the bypass leads to a growth in cytotoxic cells capable of causing autoimmune disorders.

I will try and get the original article for the science end and skim through that, but honestly, Dr Glass is probably your best bet for this one. You might want to ask him for his view on this. He is far more qualified than I on this subject.

I want to run a malaria case. I know that a comprehensive effort in many areas is necessary, but my main question is what agency would be best to go through. Also, do you have any articles talking about how a broad approach has worked in the past and how much it would cost to fully eliminate malaria in africa as it has been done in other areas? Also, are there any certian brands of insectiside treated nets and everything else that would be required? I would really appreciate any good malaria sob stories or anything to do with it at all.

P.S. You posted something about unclaimed assets in another thread. Since I'm guessing this plan will require massive funding could you tell me more about that?

I want to run a malaria case. I know that a comprehensive effort in many areas is necessary, but my main question is what agency would be best to go through. Also, do you have any articles talking about how a broad approach has worked in the past and how much it would cost to fully eliminate malaria in africa as it has been done in other areas? Also, are there any certian brands of insectiside treated nets and everything else that would be required? I would really appreciate any good malaria sob stories or anything to do with it at all.

Just an FYI, I posted a link to the Online Debate Camp Malaria file in evidence trading camp files thread. It's roughly 150 pages, includes the harm evidence you're asking for (even some internal links to AIDS), and has DDT and treated nets solvency. If you're running malaria, it should be a good addition.

for starters, you shouldnt specify funding in your plan. its always extratopical and is more headaches than necessary. however, if you are in an area where you get a lot of funding presses, unclaimed assets is a funny way of solving. unclaimed assets are the estates fo people who die without wills (legal term: dying intestate). the government, state or federal, acquires the assets and is required to hold the assets for a specified period of time while it makes a good faith effort at locating heirs (posting in newspapers etc). after the time is up, the assets are legally the property of the government and the government retains the power of ownership until it relinquishes it in transfer to another party. currently, the government policy is to retain the assets and never sell them or use them, so heirs can be found decades later and collect their inheritance. but the total sum of unclaimed assets in the country circa 1996 was over 1 trillion dollars at the state and federal levels - more than enough to pay for essentially every plan except colonizing a different galaxy.

now onto more relevant topics. i think you will find a TON of good material in the journal SCIENCE. it is not overly dense reading and a lot of it is actually policy related. many of the articles are witten by consortiums of scientists and therefore provide an element of 'consensus' data to attack neg case arguments. i do know that as of 2006, a few african countries had pledged to start a comprehensive anti-malaria program, but i do not know if it got off the ground or whether it has accomplished anything if it was started. those countries are: ethiopia, kenya, tanzania, rwanda, uganda, malawi, nigeria, mali, senegal, ghana. you might want to try custom literature searches using those countries as keywords. if you find a resource (like a subscription only medical journal) that you genuinely think you need for your arguments and you cant access it, let me know, and i'll be happy to get a copy for you through my temple account.

Do you know where I can find either the key excerpts from or a free digital copy of Eco Imperialism by Paul Drissen? From what I know it explains how the problems with ddt were either from misuse or simply lies.

ask in the critique forum. its not a critique book, i dont think, but they seem to be good at getting/finding full texts...

but you know you can always just go to a barnes and nobles bookstore and sit there and read it. alternatively, you could go to your library and if they dont have it you can ask them to do a interlibrary loan and they can get one from another library for you to read.

I'm sure you've heard of Professor Duesberg, and his campaign to convince people that HIV doesn't cause AIDS. While I'm well aware that "HIV Myth" is a terrible argument, I came across something while I was going through camp files related to this subject that confused me:

A Duesberg supporter named DeMeo said: "HIV does not readily or quickly kill the t-helper blood cells, which act as its host. It appears to infect those cells only with great difficulty, and once having infected them, lives quietly and uneventfully within those cells for their normal lifetime, without proliferating significantly to other cells and tissues. As Duesberg points out, this is the precise nature of a retrovirus, which does not kill its host cell, and leads a rather quiet existence in the organism. By contrast, viruses which produce deadly symptoms proliferate rapidly, infecting many cell types, and they kill the infected cells, thereby producing acute symptoms. Active virus is spread widely in such a virus-sickened organism and is not difficult to identify or locate. HIV does none of this, and for this reason, Duesberg suggests it is probably a perinatally-transmitted retrovirus which has been within a small percentage of the human race for generations, but without any associated pathology. HIV was observed for the first time only in recent years, because the technology to identify and search for retroviruses was developed in recent years. In a few cases, evidence suggests HIV might produce mild flu-like symptoms within 24-48 hours after infection to a new organism, but after that it has no additional affect upon the individual.

My question is, is it true that retroviruses don't cause actual infections with negative side effects? What's the scientific answer to the things this guy is saying?

thats silly. the fact that the virus does not kill swiftly doesnt provide evidence that it is not deadly nor that it doesnt cause aids.

the argument in this evidence is not at all warranted. it just says that somebody things X.

biologically speaking, the most successful organisms are those which live to produce offspring. in the case of viruses, that means those which live long enough to spread and infect other organisms. so, technically speaking, if a virus kills swiftly, it is not a very sturdy organism - the viral equivalent of a dodo dinosaur or panda bear.

for example, ebola outbreaks are generally very short and not nearly as catastrophic because once an outbreak begins, the infected are quickly isolated and the virus is unable to be transmitted to other people and though it has quick mortality, its quick burnout means it doesnt survive to pass itself on to others. hiv, on the other hand, lives within its host for months or even years without so much as a sign of sickness, thus giving itself the ability to spread to other organisms without detection.

look at the papilloma virus, for example. the human papilloma virus can be dormant for years and even decades... but it is generally believed to be the primary cause of most cervical cancers in women. and generally its not the cervical cancer that kills the patient, rather, its the metastized cancer which is then found everywhere in the body which attacks the normal body functions. the fact that we have vaccines now that have demonstrated effectiveness against the virus largely shoot down this idea of the 'slow virus isnt the deadly type' argument.

Duesberg is an AIDS denial loony. There are several of them out there, and they often have impressive-sounding quals. If you run any kind of AIDS case, you need to have a small file ready. See my posts in this thread. You can get a lot of good cards answering Duesberg and the like at this NIH page.

EDIT: I googled DeMeo. He's an Orgone energy nutbag. If you don't know anything about the orgone cult, it's probably not worth your time to find out. It's a new-age cult started in 50's that believes we're surrounded by "cosmic life-energy" called "orgone" and that upsetting the orgone is what really causes AIDS. They're the same people who think nuclear tests cause earthquakes because they disturb the earth's life energy. They're really big on the pseudoscience thing. If you want to make an orgone accumulator tent so you can sleep while basking in soft energy, there are directions here.

I have some questions:

1. What is the biological basis for phantom limb syndrome among the disabled?

2. What sort of psychological effect does having pain in a limb you don't actually have, the phantom limbs I mean, have on a person?

3. What is this business about unclaimed assets? Does the government really have a trillion or so dollars in unclaimed assets? You'd think they would cash them in as soon as legally possible...

1) The original hypothesis for phantom limb syndrome was basically that the entire body is networked with nerves just as its networked with capillaries. When a limb is amputated (or any significant body part for that matter i.e. breast, fingers, etc) the nerves are severed. The abrupt severing of nerves often results in inflammation and irritation which is then transmitted to the brain.

A more recent hypothesis is that the brain rewires itself when it stops receiving input from the body. The left side of your brain controls the right side of your body and vice verse. If your left hand is cut off, then the right side of the brain stops sending signals about whats going on in left hand. The brain would then rewire itself so that the other parts of the right brain would 'take over' the signalling so that, for example, the right side of the face is actually sending signals which you are interpreting as coming from your missing hand.

2) I dont know the precise psychology of the matter, but I suppose that since the most common physical feeling of phantom limb syndrome is pain, it would result in persistent recollection of the tragedy of losing your limb, whether it was losing your leg in a tragic car accident which also killed fido, your faithful buddy or whether its losing your breast and thus 'part of your womanhood'. That recollection could have significant negative impacts on your temperament simply because losing a limb is traumatic.

But what it isnt is someone walking around feeling like they have two arms and they go to pick something up with two arms forgetting they have only one.

3) Yes. The government is holding pensions dating back to the revolutionary war. The ability to find heirs dating back to that point is incredibly difficult, but it is the position of our government that though they legally retain rights to the property, it is not really theirs and it belongs to the people... and so it sits and sits accumulating interest (in various forms).

From what I've heard, no one has any specific neg to the Biosand case.(Which is a form of water purification case just in case you haven't heard about it) Do you know of any problems or potential problems with Biosand? Ex: Such as that it might cause cancer in the long term or requires special training to set up? Or that there are much better ways to get clean water?

Sorry for the delay. I just saw this today.

The way biosand works is there is a microbial layer atop several layers of sand. Water is pumped into the top of the unit and the microbial layer eats pathogens (bacterial, viruses, protozoa, etc). The water then slowly filters through the sand and collects at the bottom for drinking.

The benefit of biosand filters is that it requires nothing other than dirty water to keep it going. Water flows by power of gravity, so there is no need for electricity. However, depending on the biosand unit and the manner in which it is constructed, it might require the continuous flow of dirty water - without sufficient pathogens in the water, or if the unit dries up, the bioorganic microbial layer will die and the filtration will do nothing. Therefore, all the biologic causes of disease, typhoid, cholera, etc would be eliminated rather efficiently with biosand.

It is also (relatively) portable. Since it needs no connections to any infrastructure, it can be taken to the most remote areas where infrastructure simply cannot exist.

The detriment to this method is that it does very little about heavy metals and minerals in water. It leaves behind much of the hard water and toxic metals like arsenic and lead will still get through. These types of things are eliminated by reverse osmosis systems and desalination plants. Some sand mixtures are chemically treated such that they can absorb the metals, but that will taper off after some time (as per chemical kinetics).

Ultimately, there is a tradeoff, portability and universal use versus purity and safety.

Hardness in water causes kidney failure. For evidence, search for kidney damage and hard water in the state of Gujarat in India. Gujarat has one of the highest rates of kidney failure in the world due to the hardness of the water supply. Metals, heavy metals in particular, cause disruptions in body systems, some of them are toxic and cause problems. I am sure you have heard of lead poisoning and its effects.

My suggestion would be to demonstrate the above with evidence, counterplan with a more decentralized water purification system of some sort which is capable of eliminating toxic metals, hardness AND biologics, thus disproving the need for the aff plan.

Thanks, however, I debate in UIL, where running CPs brings shame upon your ancestors. I do however, have a solid block of cards saying that many sub-Saharan Africans have to make a half day journey to get to the nearest water source, along with all kinds of cards about how Africa is turning into a giant desert.