Mus Marx

East Lansing Wishes Neal Well

Realizing that Neal is not dying or even really going away from the program, I still would like to convey my thanks for Neal's Co-Directorship at East Lansing this past season. Neal, after implying that the wife of the dean of the college he was applying to at MSU was a former Yeltsin's Lady-in-Waiting in a late-night post-party blog session, his application was mysteriously lost. I hesitate to comment further as there is an on-going investigation.

I have to say that I'll miss that quizzical look that hotel clerks give us when they ask if we want one bed or two in our room. And that I'll miss the opportunities where Neal "watched" the kids (or the inside of his eyes) while I went out with friends. That I'll miss the even-handed approach he always took, even when splitting a fine bottle of South Africa Chianti this past fall and having the good sense not to write off the bottle opener as a business expense.

I'll certainly miss the ability to call a sick day at the last moment when I find myself not in a capacity to lead a debate practice. And of course there's also our mutual energy-drink consuming frenzied card-cutting sessions (like Varsity States where we wrote two 200 page negative files and cut a new aff.) Not to mention, I'll always remember us losing to Battey-Brown's Multicality argument.

It was good to have you on, and East Lansing Debate looks forward to your new role.

(by the way, your new assignments are due next week Weds. and in late July)

Despite the fact that I've never found myself so sleep deprived at tournaments, I have thoroughly enjoyed my work at East Lansing High School as a co-director. I have the feeling that I will probably enjoy my new role, which I have decided to refer to as the "on-call assistant."

I'd like to thank Jackson and all of our debaters, specifically Mike Leap, Hans Foster, and Fermin Jimenez for all of their hard work this year and understanding during a "transitional period" that ended up lasting nearly the entire year. Of course I'd like to thank the entire community for helping us support the program. Specifically, thank you to Orion Smith for helping us through so many of the first year hurdles, Tom Lietz and Ruth Kay for not killing us after some first tournament "hiccups," and Tim Alderete and Wayne Tang for throwing us a bone when we were hard up for funds. Of course Pete Battey and Andy Brown get a shout out for always being at the tournaments and making us laugh, and "beating" us at MOSSA on the stellar arguments "NEDA Rules Good" and "Multicality." And Janke from Northview for the 4 out of 100 speaker points in that round, it almost beats the 1/20 I received my novice year, a point of pride I will hold with me forever.

I also wanted to include a thank you to all of those (un)fortunate enough to be judged by me last year. Thank you for sitting through all of the mumbled decisions barely gotten through by "Rockstar Juiced" energy drinks and tournament coffee. It was great that I got to judge so many rounds with smart, motivated students who were polite even when I "Jackson Buddingh'd" a decision (I kid, I kid, it's actually called "Brad Bosserman'ing"). More power to any kid that wants to give up their weekends to an activity that requires so much effort.

Good Luck to you Mighty Trojans next year, and though I'll be back in an unofficial capacity, it just won't be the same.

I seem to recall having "Brad Bosserman'ed" a decision a few years back when I accidently voted for you, Neal. ;)

And congrats, by the way, if you were really capable of handeling saturday morning rounds on nothing stronger then energy drinks and coffee. I never found that possible.

HEY GUYS WHATS GOING ON IN HERE!

Eh, on second thought, I'll just slink back into the shadows.

And since I don't have the balls to actually post on the MIFA-is-fucked thread, I'll put my opinion in here: I dare ya' to do better. The EK Cabal actually attempted to sorta-usurp MIFA few years back...but it ain't easy. Inertia and whatnot.

I took care of that for you, Andy. It turns out that moderators powers overcome balllessness.