rhetorique

USC & Cal Berkeley

I'm looking at college debate programs, and I figured cross-x was as good a place as any to ask people what they thought of particular programs.

Can anyone tell me a little bit about the debate teams at USC and Berkeley? Like, what are the teams like in general? Is there anything in particular about the personality of their squads that someone thinking about joining them should know about?

I'm not entirely sure what I'm asking for, but any information would be helpful, including things I should ask the program directors about if I get in contact with them.

Thanks.

both teams are really good at debating. Some of the most successful debate schools in the nation, actually. contact Greg Achten for Berkeley (gregachten@berkeley.edu), and Gordon Stables for USC (stables@usc.edu)

both teams are excellent - and their programs have alot to offer!

I cant really give adequate advice on which program is better to be a part of (seeing as i have experience with neither)........but i can definitely tell you that they are great schools with great debate teams.

Another common question--do either of these teams offer much in terms of $?

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer. Just thought I'd get the question out there.

Something that might be important to you in choosing -- I know the Berkeley team is real good for lowerclassmen... a freshman/sophomore team from there broke at the NDT this year.

Both teams, however, are highly successful with excellent coaching staffs.

Generally, I'd say that USC is the more policy-oriented of the two, while Berkeley seems to be a bit more critical. It's hard to pigeonhole either as "policy" or "critical" though -- both are big teams with a lot of teams that do different things.