Sign in to follow this  
birdwing7

[AFF] African public health professional training

The U.S. Agency for International Development currently funds a small program that sends American professors to a couple of colleges in Sub-Saharan Africa to help them improve their public health degree programs. I thought this quote was interesting: "The skills needed for health leaders to negotiate with rebel factions - to allow immunization programs or disease treatment programs to function in areas outside government control - are perhaps different skills than would be needed by public health leadership in North America," said Gilbert Burnham, a Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health professor who is also a part of the project.

One good thing about such a case is that you might find self-serving language from the participating professors about how important the program is and how it should be expanded.

http://media.www.gwhatchet.com/media/storage/paper332/news/2006/04/17/News/Professor.To.Assist.Africa.With.Public.Health.Initiatives-1857061.shtml

f-x T, not T (its)

case closed

note: its funny on how such a large/broad topic ppl still manage to think up untopical affs

• Downvote 1

Mike, I think you and I have differing views of topicality.

In my view, the provision of public health education is public health assistance (just like providing birth control or anti-AIDS education, or anti-smoking campaigns for example). See, for example, Medicine.net "Definition of Public Health" http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=5120:

"There are many distinctions that can be made between public health and the clinical health professions. While public health is comprised of many professional disciplines such as medicine, dentistry, nursing, optometry, nutrition, social work, environmental sciences, health education, health services administration, and the behavioral sciences, its activities focus on entire populations rather than on individual patients."

Since the Agency for International Development is an agency of the United States Federal Government, I don't understand the "its" objection. AID pays for US professors to assist African public health education systems.

wow i honestly have nothing on that lol

didnt realize that education was actually defined as part of public health, i guess this case is fine then.

o well, deschooling ftw

Sign in to follow this