jmc_va

Tidewater 2007

John Im so confused i have no idea whats going on.

Why? Why did this happen and how? Who actually took the time to stand behind the camera for this? No...No...Who could stand up (without laughing) long enough to make this piece of art possible?

..........."IT SHOULD BE IN A MUSEUM!"

My God, man. I just watched it again and began shaking uncontrollably...

"no words."

i'm sure, in the hands of paul anderson, it will lose all the things that made it badly good (or goodly bad) and just wind up another stinking pile. what has that man done good lately?

ya...its called There Will Be Blood. You should see it.

ya...its called There Will Be Blood. You should see it.

um, "there will be blood" was made by paul thomas anderson. paul w. s. anderson, the guy i'm referencing above, had a hand in such modern classics as "mortal kombat", "soldier", and all three "resident evil" movies.

9:00 PM TONIGHT ON HBO... RESOLVED!

The fascinating complexity of high school debate gives way to a portrait of the equally complex racial and class bias of American education in Greg Whiteley's riveting documentary. Initially a portrait of top-flight debaters from well-funded, mostly white schools - like nationally ranked Sam Iola and Matt Andrews of Highland Park, Texas - the film deepens when it changes focus to Richard Funches and Louis Blackwell from Long Beach's Jordan squad. While gifted traditional debaters in their own right, the two decide to challenge the usefulness of the jargon-filled, 400-word-per-minute style of modern debate (known as "the spread") by steering their debates toward issues of personal experience and dialogue. What is the use of refining an argument, they stress, when it does not affect the reality of a person's locale and particular life? Why must individual perspective and bias be masked? For many, these questions present such a radical interpretive shift that competitors and judges crumble in front of them. Contrasting Fuches and Blackwell's attempt to challenge the system with Andrews' relentless pursuit to excel in it and win the prestigious Tournament of Champions, Whiteley deftly explores the disparities between the debaters, their styles, and their resources. Alternately inspiring and polarizing, Resolved reveals a constantly shifting sport that is as much philosophy as competition. - Travis Miles (Los Angeles Film Festival)

But it's HBO, so it will inevitably air 9,999 more times over the next month.

And seriously, Duane, a VCR? Join the 21st Century, my friend... its all about DVRs and DVD-R now.

Edited by jmc_va
technological up-to-date-ness

Pennsbury is now a TOC bid tournament! How much does that rock? Congrats to Jeff and everybody else up there in Fairless Hills.

congrats to pennsbury!

and for anyone whos interested, Resolved airs thursday night at 8:30 on hbo

Edited by BRHSdebate

Sadly...I do not own a Tivo..or a DVD-R...I'm stuck with a busted VCR..ah well.

That said I thought Resolved was brilliant, and I can't wait for it to come out in form which can be purchased. H.

Pennsbury is now a TOC bid tournament! How much does that rock? Congrats to Jeff and everybody else up there in Fairless Hills.

NIIIIIICCE

so wait a sec...paul w.s. anderson is doing deathrace? i feel like someone should stop him or at least get him to see the stallone version...

So, I've been watching Amanda and the Alien on showtime for a good hour, and I just now realized the detective is Michael Dorn. It's just unsettling seeing him without the cranial ridges.

So, I've been watching Amanda and the Alien on showtime for a good hour, and I just now realized the detective is Michael Dorn. It's just unsettling seeing him without the cranial ridges.

yeah, i've seen him in person sans make-up and he just looks... weird... without the bumpy forehead. very funny guy, though.

also, "amanda and the alien"? here's the imdb description....

"A young Bohemian artist falls in love with a human-eating alien."

is it as good as it sounds?

Edited by jmc_va
amanda-and-the-alien-ness

so wait a sec...paul w.s. anderson is doing deathrace? i feel like someone should stop him or at least get him to see the stallone version...

call it the "stallone version" all you want, but that movie belonged to david carradine.

yeah, i've seen him in person sans make-up and he just looks... weird... without the bumpy forehead. very funny guy, though.

also, "amanda and the alien"? here's the imdb description....

"A young Bohemian artist falls in love with a human-eating alien."

is it as good as it sounds?

I want to say yes, but no it's not. Think sci-fi channel made for tv movie, except the writing isn't as good.

NIIIIIICCE

I have faith that Jason Statham will be a suitable replacement for sly.

I want to say yes, but no it's not. Think sci-fi channel made for tv movie, except the writing isn't as good.

hey, many movies aired by the sci fi network are absolutely wonderful. personally, i consider "mansquito" a modern-day classic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mansquito

i called my dog "dogsquito" for about a month after watching it.

I have faith that Jason Statham will be a suitable replacement for sly.

if statham is filling sly's shoes, who's playing frankenstein? wait... according to the cast list on imdb, no one is playing frankenstein. so the central character of the original movie isn't in the remake? so is this a remake or a michael bay style revisioning. i am sore afraid!

if statham is filling sly's shoes, who's playing frankenstein? wait... according to the cast list on imdb, no one is playing frankenstein. so the central character of the original movie isn't in the remake? so is this a remake or a michael bay style revisioning. i am sore afraid!

I just saw the trailer. I'd call this a bast....revisioning.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809936373/video/8306623

Edit: And it appears I'm mistaken, Statham isn't in the role of machine gun joe. Apparently Tyrese Gibson is.

Edited by asics1850

I just saw the trailer. I'd call this a bast....revisioning.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809936373/video/8306623

Edit: And it appears I'm mistaken, Statham isn't in the role of machine gun joe. Apparently Tyrese Gibson is.

okay, except for the fact that they're racing cars and a few people die, this is nothing at all like death race 2000.... why did they even bother calling it death race?

sigh.

if you want to see an awesomely good movie, take a gander at [rec]. it scared the sh...statham right out of me.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1038988/

Dimensional conceptualization for dummies. I am rather impressed.

the things they can do with clip art these days.