jmc_va

Tidewater 2007

sorry us PA kids havent been on here in a while. This year for debate, and especially for regionals has been ridiculous. I'm sorry John, and mroe to sam and ellison actually, for regionals and the fact that they didnt make it out. And especially with colin and adora not being able to go because of sickness. Its not the same going to states without you guys and if anything, you guys have put in so much work that we admire you for it and hope to make you guys and the beach district proud in April.

PS- We've had to redo all the congress points as well because the tab room did not do them correctly. This tournament was messed up all over the place. Its just disappointing that good teams that deserved to go, like you guys, can't.

John, if that had happened to me, I'd be livid!

In the future - VHSL gives a couple of options, depending on your field size - and I don't have the rule book in front of me - and ALL Coaches have to agree on the picked proceedure before the tourney starts:

1) A pre-paired Round-Robin tournament where everyone hits everyone. Including school hitting school if more than one team from the same school is in the field.

2) 5 Random rounds followed by a run-off round matching the top 4 teams.

3) A power-paired tourney with rounds 1/2 being random, and 3 and 4 being H-H and H-L in the bracket.

I can't think of any reason why, if they were doing #3 that a 2-0 would ever meet an 0-2 (well, OK, I can think of some reasons - like if it were a small field and the 2-0 had already hit the other 2-0 or the 1-1). IF they were doing #1 or #2 it's quite possible that that would happen BUT they should have had the whole tourney pre-paired, so only by random chance would the 2-0 hit the 0-2 because that's the way it was set up ahead of the tourney.

As for the leg...wow...no..they should have had that all at the same time.

Sounds to me that the only way to avoid this might actually be to get some people who actually know what they are doing in the tab room.

H.

Sounds to me that the only way to avoid this might actually be to get some people who actually know what they are doing in the tab room.

you'd be suprised how difficult that is to do in the TDL. if I get into W&M for law school, i'm commandeering the tab room for districts and regionals all three years, exams & the BAR permitting...

you'd be suprised how difficult that is to do in the TDL. if I get into W&M for law school, i'm commandeering the tab room for districts and regionals all three years, exams & the BAR permitting...
john gave them a list of people to call if they needed qualified judges, none of these people were ever contacted.

It's hard in small Leagues to shake up the status quo. In a lot of smaller Leagues you find that the debate tabs are being run by speech tab people, or people without a lot of familiarity with debate. Good luck with the storming...As for the judges, I don't give them a chance..for our Regional tourney this weekend, I made sure the whole judge pool was composed of college debaters, just to make sure that everyone was being judge by quality and that everyone had a chance - and I'm not doing anything with this tournament except showing up.

It's hard in small Leagues to shake up the status quo. In a lot of smaller Leagues you find that the debate tabs are being run by speech tab people, or people without a lot of familiarity with debate. Good luck with the storming...As for the judges, I don't give them a chance..for our Regional tourney this weekend, I made sure the whole judge pool was composed of college debaters, just to make sure that everyone was being judge by quality and that everyone had a chance - and I'm not doing anything with this tournament except showing up.

Heh, I wish we could have gone to your tourney instead.

http://www.inthesetimes.com/article/3262/the_drug_wars_collateral_damage/

the picture sort of detracts from the article, but both are enjoyable in different ways. sorry you guys are having a rough time, but rest easy knowing there are much bigger things out there than high school debate. i probably took it less seriously than you guys when i did it, but all of your hard work will pay off somehow, even if a tourney jerks you around. it's just about getting through all the bull.

john gave them a list of people to call if they needed qualified judges, none of these people were ever contacted.

they most likely didn't realize the judges they did have weren't qualified.

"The plan also puts Motel 6 on track to become the first economy chain to feature 32-inch flat-screen TVs, Poirot says. Guests will be able to plug in their laptops or MP3 players, and they'll have Wi-Fi access at every hotel."

...believe it when i see it baby, believe it when i see it.

thank you so much guys. we will try and bring back the gold. you all have been awesome. see you there mr.H!

Congrats to all who came and took part. I feel awful that they screwed up the final awards ceremony - y'all had so much joy!!:( They should issue a full apology to your team - that was bad.

Seeing "Cap Bad" ran at Liberty was one of the hightlights of this season for me, your coach's is really not Andrew Jackson - it's John Shaft! I wish y'all the best of luck in college, and hope to see many of you back at States next year!!:)

H.

Hi, When they announced Sweeps they announced Princess Anne First and Chantilly Second. However, it turned out that they had reversed a score - giving our 7 points to Princess Anne and giving us 1 pt (which should have gone to Princess Anne). This changed the announced scores from PA: 18, Chantilly: 9, to Yorktown:14, PA: 14 - but tie broken on culmalative 1st places - our two to their none - so the real order of finish was Yorktown 1st, Princess Anne 2nd, Chantilly 3rd.

Of course - both Princess Anne and Chantilly were very excited to have been given the sweeps awards - so I think it was a real shame that the tab didn't do the math before hand so that they could have avoided a very upsetting moment for all involved.

It was a bizzare state tourney - I think almost every coach in the state would agree.

H.

Duane...

From the post above, I'm assuming your guys took 1st in both contemp and classical. Congratulations! I wish we had been there to give you a run for your money. What, besides the screw up when tabulating sweepstakes, was bizarre? Inquiring minds want to know. Also, since the tournament was a round robin in AAA contemp and classical, could you post 1st thru last place in both divisions, along with win-loss?

Kempsville people...

The stuff I was dealing with has been resolved, so there will be meetings this week. I'll send out an email this afternoon.

Hi, John. Well..start with the fact that VHSL disqualified 20% of the Congress contestants prior to the tourney because they hadn't submitted legistlation - the rules say that all state qualifiers will submit legislation, but the rules say NOTHING about disqualification - there are several angry kids, parents, teachers - and there was lots of muttering about law suites..people weren't happy.

THen there was more drama in congress, something about scores, which led to the tab room admin having a verbal fight with the VHSL execs - not sure about the whole story.

Then the tournament ran a bit behind (not anyone's fault, really)

It was just an odd tourney - coupeld to the sweeps problem and it became very odd.

WHen I get home tonight I'll post the full results for Contemp.

I know Classic was:

Semi-Final One: Chantilly TV def. Clover HIll DL 3-0

Semi-Final Two: Yorktown LZ def. Princess Anne (I'll fill the initials in later) 3-0

Final

Yorktown LZ def. Chantilly TV 3-0 . Yorktown was Aff and won on Conditionality Bad. Chantilly was the #1 seed, having gone 6-0 in Prelims, Yorktown was #2 having gone 5-1 (losing to Chantilly in round 5)

Full results, including speakers, tonight.

H.

Full State Awards:

AAA Contemp:

1st: Yorktown Seidman/Strongin

2nd: Princess Anne Shah/Truong

3rd: Chantilly Grey/Krishnamoorthy

4th: Princess Anne Shah/Veland

AAA Contemp Speakers

1st: Yorktown: Andrew Seidman

2nd: Yorktown: Samuel Strongin

3rd: Princess Anne: Parth Shah

AAA Classic

Finals: Yorktown Leonard/Zheng defeat Chantilly Vo/Trayhan: 3-0

Semi Finals: Princess Anne: Connor/Williams

Semi FInals: Clover Hill: Deevi/Liang

AAA Classic Speakers

1st: Yorktown: Andrew Leonard

2nd: Princess Anne: Katherine Williams

3rd: Chantilly: Shawn Vo

PA & Yorktown - Congrats on your performance at States!!! Looking forward to next year!

In honor of International Talk Like Daniel Plainview Day, I have but one thing to say...

I DRINK YOUR MILK-SHAKE! I DRINK IT UP!