jmc_va

Tidewater 2007

I miss this a lot. You all are in the TDL right now and I'm getting phone calls and I can't wait for JMU!! College is fun and all but I really, truly miss debate. If there were enough people even remotely interested here at UVA, I woul try and start a team, even though we wouldn't quite be able to compete at a national level. at all. What else is going on though? How are all the people who graduated last year doing?I can't wait to come back and udge. I miss Topicality. Effects Topicality :-P.

deeva, you coming to judge?

Did Oliver transfer to Kempsville? I thought he went to Cox? Either that, or I've been wrong all these years - but the Villiger site has him listed as debating for Kempsville. The only reason I care is that the rule is pretty specific:

117-11-1 Tournament Limitations-No individual or team may participate in more

than 16 tournaments during the school year, excluding VHSL district, regional and state

tournaments. A student who registers at and participates in a debate tournament under a

name other than his/her own or under a name other than his/her bona fide school name shall

be disqualified from participating in the district, regional and state debate tournaments.

And I'd hate to see Oliver lose his eligibility becasue the tab at Villiger entered wrong information...if it was a Kempsville/Cox swing team, somone should make sure Villiger corrects this information. I'm not sending a team to states this year, most likely - so I have no dog in the fight - but Oliver is a good kid, and I'd hate to see his shot blown because of a tab error!!:(

Duane

Edited by hylanddd

We worked with our coaches, vhsl, our SEC's and our principles to get this approved. But the VHSL has said that we could debate together and not lose our eligibility for states.

hey kids, long time no see! if you guys need judges for anything, have someone (i'm looking at you, adora) get at me on facebook. or here. i'm gonna have a lot of free time over break and, judging by my upcoming course load, need a valid excuse to escape williamsburg more than once next semester. hope you're all doing well!!

going along with deeva and caitlin, i also miss the hell out of debate, but i won't be able to make it to any TDLs this year. which is why you all need to pray/pull strings/do some form of a rain dance so that i get into W&M law and can get away from all the godforsaken cows out here.

on a related note, i finally wrote one of my personal statements for my law school applications and i wrote about debate :)

Edited by Brainstorm

also on a related note, if anyone has a private jet or extreme ammounts of money (cox kids???) i will be willing to allow you to fly me over for any and all tdls. no problem. :D

you are a bit worse off than i am, liz :(

side note, i'm off to go drink downtown with brendon barrios. cheers!

i know i'm a bit tardy on this, but jmu gave me a cold, as always (they really need to heat their buildings better at night), and i haven't felt very jovial.

congratulations to all the people from tidewater who kicked major booty at jmu! full results can be found on the tdl blog, as always.

can someone give me the rundown on the topic this year? i'm so out of the loop it's not even funny.

also, can GMU be moved to florida because it's cold up there.

the topic is something about the usfg doing something substantial about something, as always. it might have to do with incentives for alternative energy, but i can't be sure... kempsville never worries about running topical cases.

THE 2009-2010 RESOLUTION IS...

Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially increase social services for persons living in poverty in the United States.

The topic I voted for actually won! That hasn't happened in... forever.

Oh..so now I, for once, know who to blame for the crap we are stuck debating!!:)

John has picked the last 5 topics....didn't you get the memo.

sorry, liz... harvard was this weekend and it was the sixth tournament in a row for us, so we've been a little distracted.

and, since i'm sure that will lead you to ask...

in jv, sam and jade went 4-2 in prelims, picked up doubles and dropped in octos.

in varsity, adora and oliver went 5-2 in prelims and dropped in doubles on a 2-1 decision.

all in all, it was a very good weekend for us.