Sign in to follow this  
King_of_Crunk089

NCFL Nationals

is anyone interested in making a caselist or would it be a not so good idea for a tournament such as CFLs?

I like the idea of a casebook for CFLs, but I'm pretty sure not that many people agree with that idea. However, if there is enough interest, it shouldn't be too tough to make one.

Miami TEams going:

Fort LAuderdale BW

Fort Lauderdale MS

Fort Lauderdale MR

Fort Lauderdale AM

Taravella SS

Stoneman Douglas WF

The fort lauderdale teams may not go depending on if they get judges.

actually at sf cfl grand finals we were allowed for in each category, and all the fort lauderdale teams qualified, i would know my mom picked one of them up.

I like the idea of a casebook for CFLs, but I'm pretty sure not that many people agree with that idea. However, if there is enough interest, it shouldn't be too tough to make one.

I like this idea.....does anyone want to set up a casebook on Wiki?

actually at sf cfl grand finals we were allowed for in each category, and all the fort lauderdale teams qualified, i would know my mom picked one of them up.

Sup Ryan, I forgot you were gonna switch to policy, but why does your school thing still say FLHS?

Also Ft. Lauderdale is not in Miami its from the Hurricane district..........

I already posted this in the main forum, but...

I'm looking to coach/judge at CFLs -- if any team is interested, please give me an email at: charrigan at gmail.com

Thanks much,

Casey Harrigan

I don't think it's very nice to insult the tab crew who are giving up a Holiday Weekend to come in and run a tournament, when there are other things they could be doing. NCFL might not be a perfect tournament, but it's ran as efficiently as possible under the prevailing conditions.

• Downvote 1

If anyone here is wanting to gain an advantage and have a new affirmative to break, then I would suggest buying the affirmative I have just put up on evazon.

If you have an aff right now that you know everyone already has prepped out strategies against and you want to have that surprise factor this is definitely your best opportunity. There is a thread in the Evazon forum titled Critical Debate Affirmative that will give you some more information on the Aff and some people's thoughts.

I also posted two Kritiks that have never been run called the Bullying K and the White Privilege/Matthew Effect K. Both have very in-depth evidence and are arguments that I can just about guarantee your opponents will not have evidence against them.

And lastly, there is also a T-file I posted that can be used against any case this year but have specific evidence for DADT, WIC, and MRCs... Not only can these T arguments single-handedly win you rounds, they go to show how nice it is to have an affirmative not broken yet like the one I'm selling as no one will have pre-made T arguments and blocks.

LOL...Let's see - have I ever hosted a NCFL National? Well..I was part of the crew that hosted the NCFL Grand National at Arlington in 2003. I served in the NCFL Policy Tab from 2003-2006. I'll be heading to Houston tomomrrow, and my wife left for Houston today (she's the chair of the LD Tab) I've attended every Grand National from 1996 to present, and I count Tom Durkin, Doug Hoverson and Roland Burdett as three of the finest humans to walk the planet. So yeah, you could say I know a little about NCFL.

The NCFL Board meets twice a year - hardly a junket - and despite the allure of Carl's Chophouse, I don't think the words "junket" and Detroit would ever be used in the same sentence by anyone but yourself. They meet once in September, along with all the Diocesean reps, and once in January. And, yeah - they do give up their weekend. I can't think of a single person affiliated with NCFL that would rather be doing something else that being at NCFL, BUT..I'm sure their kids, spouses, sig others etc..do. Wow...yeah..we took the officers out when they came to Arlington, and we gave them nice hotel rooms. Gee..imagine that. You get a deal with a hotel to sell off a lot of rooms and they give you suites at lower prices...hmmm. Besides, spending time with Ron Steinhorst, Dick Gaudette, Carmen Atkinson (who was President then), and James Lyness was fun and interesting - the chance to hear about a lot of Forensics and Debate history in an evening is never boring.

This year, I believe that the Policy tab will be using Joy of Tournamnets. I know the LD tab is, because they used it last year.

There have been three tournaments in NCFL's recent history that ran late. Chicago was not one of them (I was there, in the Policy Pool, and we ran to time - the results might have taken a little longer, but those are put out by the Results Posting Committee, not the individual tab). THe three that were:

Baltimore - 1997: THe Host School custodial crew didn't arrive on time, and did not unlock the building. THen, during the tournament there was a medical emergency (a judge had a heart attack) things ran long, but not overly longish. We were still back at the hotel at a reasonable hour.

Pittsburgh - 2002: A Judge leaves for lunch without turning in their round 3 ballot. The panel in that room was split - 1/1 and the ballot is needed to give the decision and to allow for Round 4 to be paired. The judge comes back from their two hour lunch and hands in the ballot. Meanwhile the tournament stalls. I can say that I was on the bus back to the hotel that night at 10:45pm, and that some rounds were still going on. But that's not the tab's falt.

Milwaukee: 2005: A judge, in round one, decides that they have parked their car illegallly and that the prep for the 2NC would be the time to move it. They come back one and one-half hours later. Longest 2NC Prep in the history of the world, probabbly, and a tourney that gets thrown off the rails.

Detroit ('98), Chicago ('99), Rochester ('00), New York ('01), Arlington ('03, Boston ('04), and Chicago ('06) move pretty well, and we got out either at the schedule, or as close as possible.

In the end, the men and women who give up their weekend for NCFL deserve our respect and our thanks. But, every year they are mocked and ridiculed, often for things that weren't their faults. So, forgive me if I don't have quite the jaundiced eye you seem to have towards NCFL.

It sounds like your experiences with NCFL are a little different than mine have been. And that's unfortunate. Carmen was from Florida, Sandalwood High School, but I don't recall her as having a bad personality - I remember her as very soft spoken, actually.

I will concede that they did use cards for a long time in NCFL, perhaps longer than usual. But, I will say that they did try to shadow run the tourney on computer - in 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006 - but that the computer tab programs being used at that time ('03 and '04): TRPC and STA, could not handle the complex judging constraints that NCFL uses - thus those programs would start to "melt" in round 3. It wasn't until the JOT people really sat down and worked with the League that those issues were able to get solved. Now, I think this year, JOT is the standard, with cards as backup, and next year will, hopefully, see JOT with no cards. We'll see.

Ah, you mean Sister Maureen Laurence, IHM. I remain convinced, to this day, that she was my 8th Grade English teacher, but I'm not sure (I had a Sister Maureen Laurence, bu it was in Virginia). If so, she definitely had her vision.

Each tab reports its results to the Tournament Posting Committee. That committee then makes up the posters you see when they announce breaks. I can't account for the breakdowns, if any, that happen there. That committee remains a mystery to me..although I do know that when the head of it wants your chair, you'd better give it up. But, NCFL really does care if hte tourney runs long - they aren't insensitive.

Yes..I recall that some schools from our League had trouble with rooms in Detroit. As I recall, Gonzaga College Prep ended up having there rooms given away, but were put up in the Presidential Suite of the Reinaissance Center after some parents starting yelling. I doubt, very seriously, that Roland, or any of hte other National Officers cared that you were on the floor at Chicago. If anything, I know those people well enough to know they would have been apalled that your student was treated so badly.

No, I was at BCC. I remember talking to Father Hahn (Erie Cath Prep) and going "Father, is it true that Baltimore City College High School is just another way of spelling Hell?" And he replied "No, Duane, this is merely Hell's antechamber." I've never been in hotter building, with fewer concessions than that school in that year. I got back in plenty of time to have dinner with my wife, and then get to the Postings. Which hotel were you in?

No..NO...Round 1 definitely explained the trouble in 4 and 5...once you get 1.5 hours behind, it's behind, and nothing you can do is going ot make it back. I know..I turned my round 5 ballot (I judged round 5 after finishing on the ballot table) at exactly 11:50pm that night (I remember, the round was Bishop Guertin v. a team from kansas (Emporia, I think) and the decision was 2-1 for Guertin (EP) and I remember thinking that this was really late in the night to be deciding a bubble round.

And...trust me...being friends with the former LD chair (Roland) and being married to the current LD Chair, has given me lots of reminders that some parts of the tourney do run on time..oh how they remind me..lol.

Oh, you're not coming? Dang..I wanted to meet you. Well, maybe next year at Appleton.

WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE FOR YOU TO TITLE YOUR THREAD WITH OUT USING THE CAPS LOCK KEY AND KEEP IT UNDER 60 CHARACTERS LONG?

IF YOU COULD THAT WOULD BE JUST GRAND

• Downvote 1

Didn't start the thread, so I guess the author could.

As fo Chris:

OHHHH..You mean Kristi Taylor, who was then from Ft. Lauderdale or Palm beach. She's baaackkk..But she's one of my favorite people on the whole planet, so I can't give her too much grief. She used to yell at me too - in fact, I met her in Baltimore when a group of coaches convinced me to go yell at the Tab...lol...she put me in my place, and we've been friends ever since. Since I'm not working the tab this year, I will miss working for her - but look very much forward to the abuse I'll take when handing my ballots in!!:)

Yeah..the school I went down here was IHM..and I had a Sister Maureen Laurence for English. I just don't know if it was her.

LOl..Probably. Tom and Roland are such the sensitive types...

Ah yes, one of my few pleasures in life is seeing Father Hahn at Tourneys..he never fails to make me laugh.

Welll, I hope to see you next year.

Duane

To clarify: policy debate will be using Joy of Tournaments to run the tournament this year, with cards as backup. I am in fact currently using the main laptop for the tournament.

I have my own comments about previous nationals that I will reserve since I am now part of "the establishment." This will be my second year in tab. I can say about Milwaukee - the reason Duane is right about Round 1 problems cascading is that when you start running rounds late with a tournament this size, judges and teams start deciding when they want to come back for the next round because the schedule has been shot to hell. That makes the delays continue. However, there was also one judge who got sick (or fell down the stairs, don't remember because I wasn't in tab there) and was taken to the hospital by two other judges. Removing 3 judges from the pool - especially when they don't tell the tab room they are gone - causes serious problems. When you run with over 200 judges needed and fewer than 10 extra judges, 3 makes a huge difference.

None of that excuses poor performance by tab staffs or tournament committees or anything. The best I can tell you is that I consider it a personal failure if a tournament I run is behind schedule, and that I have a track record of running things on time. We'll see Saturday night how well that works out.

On the issue of "junkets," I am not a district chair or member of any committee. My trip is paid for because I count as a judge for a school, but the only perk I get is the beer I convince Tom Durkin to buy me. I am flying out there not because my school needs a judge, or because I get to stay in a suite and get grapes fed to me while I use caligraphy to write out the Round 4 pairings -- I will be there because I sat and bitched about delays at nationals for 6 years, and now that I have the chance to fix it, you better damn well believe I won't stop running until it's over. So let's separate our comments about the people who make the decisions and the people who get it done on Saturday and Sunday.

To be fair, Jeff is a member of the establishment (and since I'm on a one year hiatius from the establishment, and since I'm friends with Jeff, I think I'll have a bit of fun here), but we barely tolerate him...we really want to send him over to OI Tab..but we haven't been able to convince the OI tab that he'd be worth the trouble to send him over. He's so annoying..he writes comments on ballots that make no sense, and then he's tried to tell me how to run my tourneys here in Virginia..UGH...He's like this dog that keeps showing up, and you just don't want to send him home. And DON'T even get him started on the PFI!!:)

Duane

Didn't start the thread, so I guess the author could.

As fo Chris:

OHHHH..You mean Kristi Taylor, who was then from Ft. Lauderdale or Palm beach. She's baaackkk..But she's one of my favorite people on the whole planet, so I can't give her too much grief. She used to yell at me too - in fact, I met her in Baltimore when a group of coaches convinced me to go yell at the Tab...lol...she put me in my place, and we've been friends ever since. Since I'm not working the tab this year, I will miss working for her - but look very much forward to the abuse I'll take when handing my ballots in!!:)

Yeah..the school I went down here was IHM..and I had a Sister Maureen Laurence for English. I just don't know if it was her.

LOl..Probably. Tom and Roland are such the sensitive types...

Ah yes, one of my few pleasures in life is seeing Father Hahn at Tourneys..he never fails to make me laugh.

Welll, I hope to see you next year.

Duane

Kristi coaches at my old school: Jupiter High School now. I love her