Sign in to follow this  
RedHead

Colleges

where are you all going?

im the only freshman on the team this year so im gonna need someone when im a senior... :)

UGh, college. I thought after doing application it'd be easy to just choose one. But I have to choose between huge loans to go to MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) or a full ride at Maryland (College Park). Maryland is the one school I've always said I didn't want to go to; its too close and too many people from my high school. But the evil world of finances seems to be pushing me in that direction. I feel bad turning down such a great opportunity at MIT for a school I never wanted to go to. :/

Stone Bridge:

UVA:

Lauren Holohan

Elizabeth Magnotti

William and Mary:

Chris Sardo

Gettysburg College:

Lauren Fox

Woah Mikey, MIT? Congrats man.

Yeah, seriously, MIT is very impressive.

So far, the only firm commitments we have at Blacksburg High School are

Nitin Kapania: Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering

Andrew Snyder-Beattie: Mary Washington College

McDonogh:

Reilly - St. Andrews [scotland]

Akash - U of Maryland, Honors Program

Katelyn - Yet to make up her mind, but I think she limited it down to Notre Dame, William and Mary and something else.

Yeah, seriously, MIT is very impressive.

So far, the only firm commitments we have at Blacksburg High School are

Nitin Kapania: Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering

Andrew Snyder-Beattie: Mary Washington College

That Franklin W. Olin college seems pretty sweet.

Yeah, Olin is a pretty sweet deal. For those of you who do not know anything about the school, the Olin College of Engineering was founded five years ago by a very generous grant from the Olin Foundation. Because of this grant, every student is given a $130,000 full tuition scholarship. The school's goal is to foster a very small (only 300 students total) , intimate learning environment that focuses not just on engineering, but also on entrepreneurship and the humanities in order to create what they call "renaissance engineers." The school is located in Needham, Massachusetts's, about 20 minutes outside of Boston.

I really encourage any juniors interested in engineering to apply next year, especially debaters because I think debate really fits in with their desire to teach engineers with a passion for the humanities.

Mr Hyland: I'm not sure what type of engineering I'll do yet, but I'm considering mechanical engineering. My dad teaches aerospace engineering at tech, and he said that with an ME degree I could easily switch to aerospace in grad school if I wanted.

Would your dad's name be Dr. Rakesh Kapania? If so, he's an Associate Fellow of AIAA, so you know all about us!!:) Tell him I said thanks for his support of the Institute, and that I wish I were heading to Structures next week!!:)

Mr. H.

Woah Mikey, MIT? Congrats man.

seriously dude, thats badass.

so far from chantilly:

kedar pavgi: William and Mary

andrew tran: James Madison University

Thanks for the congrats.

Thomas Johnson College destinations:

Fatima: MIT for sure

Me: UMD/MIT

Bob: I think UMD

I think those are our only seniors.

btw, that olin college sounds like it would be awesome.

shameless plug: if anyone is even remotely considering w&m, i definitely think it's an awesome decision (yes, i'm a biased student who loves the campus... and a complete goofball). but, if you want to debate, we're basically parli... not my thing because i was a policy debater, but maybe you'd like it. anyways, check it out kids. and congrats on your college acceptances!

shameless plug: if anyone is even remotely considering w&m, i definitely think it's an awesome decision (yes, i'm a biased student who loves the campus... and a complete goofball). but, if you want to debate, we're basically parli... not my thing because i was a policy debater, but maybe you'd like it. anyways, check it out kids. and congrats on your college acceptances!

QFA!

We're losing a ton of seniors. So far we've got:

Khafra to University of Miami

Borniger to Indiana

Nichols to Wisconsin

James to U Michigan (accepted at all 8 colleges she applied to)

Connor to U Penn

Zabaloieff (after turning down Carnegie Mellon)and Thompson to Penn State

Jordan to Ohio Weslyn (he was accepted at 6 colleges)

Perry to Colorado College

Binsted to Virginia Tech

and Daniel Poore is trying to decide between Stanford, MIT, Cal Tech, Pomona, University of Chicago and Carleton (we all feel very sorry for him, don't we????)

Going: Whitman

Accepted: Boston College, Claremont McKenna, Emory, Wake Forest, and WashU in St. Louis

Rejected: Dartmouth, Georgetown, Pomona, and USC

...i applied to a lot of colleges