Sign in to follow this  
EveBYoung

Pre-empt To Development (Peace Corps)

What kind of cards do you cut as a pre-empt to sherridan, escobar/all development k's if you don't run a development advantage? There's plenty of evidence saying peace corps. is a shield for U.S. imperialism/development, so even without the advantage it's something that would have to be prepped out. So what do you put in the 1AC? Thanks for any help.

-Rett

• Downvote 1

Yea..i don't think a pre-empt to development is necessary. However, if you do find yourself wanting to put a pre-empt card in the 1AC you should probably just pick the best card that you read in your 2AC blocks and put it at the end of the 1AC.

• Downvote 1

Okay, then let me ask another question. What kind of cards do you guys use to answer development if you don't run it as an advantage?

This is why I think the development K is a good arg against Peace Corps affs.

Your best approach on an argumentative level, avoiding all of the bad kritik answers most people put in their frontlines, is that you need to be able to argue that you change the nature/purpose/goals/mentality of development within the peace corp. Trying to say "not my peace corps" does not get you out of the argument that your program will be a "kind" face for the evil development projects. That is why changing the nature of what the peace corps does would be important to addressing this argument. Even if you increase the number of people serving, that numbers increase does not change what purposes they will be serving. Because of foreign policy objectives, any good program you may pick, IE Aids, hunger, genocide in sudan, there are good specific arguments on why they attempt to lock in the development model with their programs.

Or you could impact turn the argument and claim development models good.

Most people dont stop here, they then argue capitalism good, tech good, space good, get of the rock etc..........

I hope this helps.

Peace

Massey

OU Debate

• Downvote 1

I put a lot of arguments on that the transition is rough and causes war. This is because(depending on the advantages you run) you can not take a stance on whether development is good or bad, just that the transition to another system is bad. This all depends on the advantages in the 1ac, and what links they run in the 1nc. But, this is a strategy I always try to isolate in the cx. In cx try to pin them down that there is no brink to the impacts, and that the link links to everything. (Which it probably will). These two arguments help you leverage the above argument well.

There's some good ev on why the Peace Corps can re-create what we view as the "development paradigm" (which also gets you good perm-lit). I generally like to argue that development is inevitble/necessary. Since their links are based on discourse it's good to establish a policy-framework (much like any other K without a "fiat alternative/impact". Also, if they run some capitalism implication/module...impact turn it.

• Downvote 1

There's some good ev on why the Peace Corps can re-create what we view as the "development paradigm" (which also gets you good perm-lit). I generally like to argue that development is inevitble/necessary. Since their links are based on discourse it's good to establish a policy-framework (much like any other K without a "fiat alternative/impact". Also, if they run some capitalism implication/module...impact turn it.

LINK...

Let me explain - Any good critical author knows the desire for those who prefer a certain ideology to develop ways that undermine criticism.

When you argue development is inevitable, that is a way of proclaiming development is the only way. Any alternative to this way of thinking must begin with a starting point of "it is not inevitable, but a choice or path one wishes to take"

The literature in the development kritik should not be oversimplified to any type of development. The best book to read, is Raff Carmen, Autonomous Development. Whenever one group attempts to impose their idea of what "developed" means, this undermines the agency of the group receiving the imposition. Carmen even claims that if you say I am underdeveloped you are developed, then this is a racist perspective based upon cultural priviliging.

Also, any good criticism, especially in debate, will have a method of using your desire to seperate "discourse from policy" or "theory from practice" or "values from ends" as a way to say you should lose because you have now imposed a bad framework that helps perpetuate development ideology, then use all of the impact cards from the 1nc as reasons your framework is bad. Then the "policy"/fiat debate is irrelevant.

peace

Massey

debate@ou.edu

Even if it is a new link, it doesn't matter if there's nothing we can do about it that will solve in the long run. I think fighting for an alternative that will collapse is a bad thing.

I agree. I think development is pretty good anyway. So what if we use it as a tool for capital, they're still getting what they need and so are we.

http://www.worldvolunteerweb.org/fileadmin/docs/old/pdf/2002/LAO_volunteering_in_development.pdf

That should have some answers to development specific to volunteering.

Here's the cite to this:

EHRICHS IN 2K2 [L., “’Volunteering’ in development: A post-modern view”, accessed @ http://www.worldvolunteerweb.org/fileadmin/docs/old/pdf/2002/LAO_volunteering_in_development.pdf]

• Downvote 1

You could pop one or both of these cards in at the bottom of solvency or something. But, if you're going to waste the time reading cards to pre-empt a K, why not just shell out the entire, 3-card Development advantage in the 1AC? Then again, that just makes it easier for the negative to run impact turns, which frees up more of the 1NC. So, the end-all solution would be to write a good 2AC block to the K, like everyone else.

(_) The Peace Corps avoids perceptions of US imperialism while empowering foreign nations

Metzl in 2k1 (Jamie, visiting scholar in World Politics at the Carnegie Endowment for Int’l Peace, “Can Public Diplomacy Rise from the Ashes?”, Foreign Service Journal, July-August, http://www.carnegieendowment.org/publications/index.cfm?fa=print&id=758)

To prevent this connectivity from being perceived abroad as a tool for greater American cultural dominance, however, the U.S. should also help the poorest countries and communities put their own cultural materials on line and facilitate the building of virtual bridges between museums, libraries, and other cultural institutions around the world. America’s young people should be encouraged to share their technical expertise with others in the developing world. The Peace Corps has made important strides in this direction through its new information technology initiatives. The network hardware company Cisco Systems has also set up Internet training academies in almost a hundred countries. These types of public and private efforts must be strongly supported.

(_) Peace Corps members are informal ambassadors of the US – Working to promote grass-root development and empower local communities

Vasquez in 2k6 (Gaddi H., director of the Peace Corps, “A legacy of service and compassion”, Peace Corps Congressional Budget Justification Fiscal Year 2006, http://www.peacecorps.gov/policies/pdf/peacecorps_cbj_2006.pdf)

As we assess the changes in the world and what the face of America looks like in large cities and tiny villages around the globe, we can be proud of the more than 7,700 Peace Corps Volunteers who are committed to grass-roots development efforts to empower people in developing countries to take charge of their future. These Americans share their time and talents by serving as teachers, business advisors, information technology consultants, health and HIV/AIDS educators, and agriculture workers. These men and women—young and old, married and single, and from an array of ethnic backgrounds—are informal ambassadors of the United States to the far reaches of the globe.

• Downvote 1

While I agree with Jackie, changing the structure of the peace corps is the best option-

we didnt loose on the development K this year because we had did the following: (keep in mind we read a nuanced version of the peace corps aff (medical peace corps)

We made arguments as to why we are "reperations" not development. dont have the author on me but we cut an argument about how the west owes poverty stricken countries due to the exploitation that they caused. we have an obligation to share our wealth as a form of reperation because we have fucked over many countries (we as in the western nations)- I understand this is a link but its a different approach that had varying results. We used to quote the dead prez song "fuck welfare we want reperations"

Also we made arguments about how structures of capitalism prevent poorer countries from baragining with pharmecitical companies- only through giving "free medical care" can people get treatment.

We also played defense on all the links- defense of the peace corps as an institution (they dont attempt to further american ideology, usually just college hippies who join), played defense on the paternalism links etc.

What usually became the round winner for us was the evertt cards that were critiques of escobar- her/his argument was that criticizing development posits underdeveloped countries as unable to deal with development themselves- the terminal impact was destruction of agency.

Our outline is on the TOC wiki, but we read a few 1ac pre-empts,

Brown- Peace corps is invited from the host government, isnt part of the usfg/not imperalist

Radley- the peace corps leads to empathy with the nations they work with- this author was a PCV and lived amongst the people in the poorer countries and said that there was a cultural understanding that the americans lived humbly among their hosts

Ehrlics- similar to radley that PCVS step out of their "comfort zone" and live amongst the people

More defenses of peace corps as an institution...

We had some close debates on this issue- the reason we were able to get away without loosing was isolating all the links read - usually a good development K has a plethora of link arguments- peace corps, paternalism, growth, medical knowledge etc..

I also didnt read growth/development as an advantage, or soft power so...

I hope this made sense- i havent slept ;(

and I apolgize for spelling and grammar

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

(_) The Peace Corps avoids perceptions of US imperialism while empowering foreign nations

Metzl in 2k1 (Jamie, visiting scholar in World Politics at the Carnegie Endowment for Int’l Peace, “Can Public Diplomacy Rise from the Ashes?”, Foreign Service Journal, July-August, http://www.carnegieendowment.org/publications/index.cfm?fa=print&id=758)

To prevent this connectivity from being perceived abroad as a tool for greater American cultural dominance, however, the U.S. should also help the poorest countries and communities put their own cultural materials on line and facilitate the building of virtual bridges between museums, libraries, and other cultural institutions around the world. America’s young people should be encouraged to share their technical expertise with others in the developing world. The Peace Corps has made important strides in this direction through its new information technology initiatives. The network hardware company Cisco Systems has also set up Internet training academies in almost a hundred countries. These types of public and private efforts must be strongly supported.

(_) Peace Corps members are informal ambassadors of the US – Working to promote grass-root development and empower local communities

Vasquez in 2k6 (Gaddi H., director of the Peace Corps, “A legacy of service and compassion”, Peace Corps Congressional Budget Justification Fiscal Year 2006, http://www.peacecorps.gov/policies/pdf/peacecorps_cbj_2006.pdf)

As we assess the changes in the world and what the face of America looks like in large cities and tiny villages around the globe, we can be proud of the more than 7,700 Peace Corps Volunteers who are committed to grass-roots development efforts to empower people in developing countries to take charge of their future. These Americans share their time and talents by serving as teachers, business advisors, information technology consultants, health and HIV/AIDS educators, and agriculture workers. These men and women—young and old, married and single, and from an array of ethnic backgrounds—are informal ambassadors of the United States to the far reaches of the globe.

Both of these pieces of evidence are heinously power tagged and the second one also provides hella link ground for the neg.

Guest svfrey

there are some amazingly good cards by an author named fritz fischer

also, i found a bitchin' piece of ev by this guy Baker.

i'll get the cites when i can

Thanks everybody.

By the way, Jon, I checked out your aff on the TOC wiki, and I just wanted to say that sounds pretty kick ass haha.

edit* did you ever play a clip from team america about "we all have aids" in one of your rounds?

Thanks everybody.

By the way, Jon, I checked out your aff on the TOC wiki, and I just wanted to say that sounds pretty kick ass haha.

edit* did you ever play a clip from team america about "we all have aids" in one of your rounds?

Thanks, and no because that would probably be offensive. But i'll post cites to all my stuff soon.

no but he actually raised his hands in a jesus like way when he said it in our round at ffls

wasnt at FFlS

haha alright. i heard about a team earlier this year playing a clip from team america in a round where they read a performance aff and read the overidentification stuff on f/w. just wondering if that was you haha.

looking forward to the cites. :)

Sign in to follow this