Sign in to follow this  
gargamel

[AFF] Debt Forgiveness

or not.

the debt of which you speak exists largely through fiscal mismanagement. erasing debt provides no assistance and perpetuates the cycle of mismanagement because it rewards improper practices by issuing no cost to their behavior. its a lot like looking at the department of defense's charges, seeing an itemized line for thousands of 100$ hammers, and saying 'you're such fools' and then proceeding the pay the bill with a promise to pay next year's bill too with a little finger wagging....

• Downvote 1

or not.

the debt of which you speak exists largely through fiscal mismanagement. erasing debt provides no assistance and perpetuates the cycle of mismanagement because it rewards improper practices by issuing no cost to their behavior. its a lot like looking at the department of defense's charges, seeing an itemized line for thousands of 100$ hammers, and saying 'you're such fools' and then proceeding the pay the bill with a promise to pay next year's bill too with a little finger wagging....

Oh ok. Capitalist pig. We're supposed to force the African nations to pay back their debts because the West wants its damn money. The poorest nations' in the world economic state doesn't matter; the reason for all the "fiscal mismanagement" couldn't be attributed to the colonization that Britain partook in the 19th century grouping different tribes and peoples together that have many differences, but hey it's the Africans' fault, right?

But I guess it doesn't matter that the West exports its cheap labor to some African nations, with people working for nothing and in conditions that would never be allowed in the "civilized" world. It couldn't be that 46% of the world's chocolate, which people in the West demand and take for granted, comes from the Cote d'Ivoire in which 90% of the plantations in the Cote d'Ivoire use slave/child labor. But yeah, Ankur, you're right... make the "fiscally irresponsible" repay their debts regardless of how much of it is our own fault because of our own selfishness.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think Chris's suggestion makes more sense as a CP than as an Aff (if you're the sort of Neg that likes arguing net benefits as your competition)...

Debt relief cases = bo-ring

There were a lot of these early in the year with the college Africa topic. They weren't very effective, and everyone got tired of them real fast. They had topicality and solvency problems then, and they'll have topicality and solvency problems now. Plus, they're the easiest case in the world to cut neg for.

• Downvote 1

It couldn't be that 46% of the world's chocolate, which people in the West demand and take for granted, comes from the Cote d'Ivoire in which 90% of the plantations in the Cote d'Ivoire use slave/child labor.

Lies.

I've found so much neg material on this that says debt cancellation will not do anything b/c the countries will still have faulty managment, in other words the debt cancellation is treating the symptons while leaving the disease untouched.

The imbecellic idea of debt relief is a disgrace arguement and I cannot fathom how it public health assisstance, so pls attempt to make topical case suggestions

ok Osayame Gaius-Obaseki from North Miami Beach. you're right and will always be more important than me. heaven will never be an extension of my body. my body will always belong to someone else.

p.s. disgrace argument? glad we got some gatekeepers around here, thanks!

Oh ok. Capitalist pig. We're supposed to force the African nations to pay back their debts because the West wants its damn money. The poorest nations' in the world economic state doesn't matter; the reason for all the "fiscal mismanagement" couldn't be attributed to the colonization that Britain partook in the 19th century grouping different tribes and peoples together that have many differences, but hey it's the Africans' fault, right?

But I guess it doesn't matter that the West exports its cheap labor to some African nations, with people working for nothing and in conditions that would never be allowed in the "civilized" world. It couldn't be that 46% of the world's chocolate, which people in the West demand and take for granted, comes from the Cote d'Ivoire in which 90% of the plantations in the Cote d'Ivoire use slave/child labor. But yeah, Ankur, you're right... make the "fiscally irresponsible" repay their debts regardless of how much of it is our own fault because of our own selfishness.

You really need to stop reading that noam chomsky stuff, all that is just propaganda. http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/issuesideas/story.html?id=1385b76d-6c34-4c22-942a-18b71f2c4a44

You really need to stop reading that noam chomsky stuff, all that is just propaganda. http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/issuesideas/story.html?id=1385b76d-6c34-4c22-942a-18b71f2c4a44

Tu quoque is a logical fallacy. I read a few paragraphs of that article and didn't see anything else, so I stopped. It's not much of a logical argument.

That's like saying descendants of American slaves shouldn't be accountable for their debts because their ancestors were victims of colonization and subjugation. Debt relief doesn't have any advantage besides getting people off who think it's some profound secret that some groups were oppressed in centuries past and conclude from this secret that its ancestors must be treated inversely as royalty.

For clarification purposes, these debts are not some arbitrary invention intended to "oppress" African nations. They are debts b/c these countries' leaders borrowed real money promising to pay real money back. When you perpetuate debt forgiveness there's no cost to the leaders who rule irresponsibly and waste millions on personal jets instead of important infrastructural renovations.

the Africans should print money, and then pay us back with that. PSP's can print money, they could all pool their money together, and buy one of those.

You are a real comedian.

Ok aside from the questions of whether it's the responsibility of the borrowing countries' to pay this money back or not, what about T issues? I've seen like two people mention this, but there hasn't really been any answer. I don't see any way this is public health--I mean at least it's got to be obviously FX.

Ok aside from the questions of whether it's the responsibility of the borrowing countries' to pay this money back or not, what about T issues? I've seen like two people mention this, but there hasn't really been any answer. I don't see any way this is public health--I mean at least it's got to be obviously FX.

It affects public health because Africans will spread their unholy black blight upon the world.

• Downvote 1

It affects public health because Africans will spread their unholy black blight upon the world.

Anyone have a serious answer as to why it's even arguably not FX?

It's not topical. But usually when people do fx'ially topical plans (if this could even be considered such) it's to access sweet advantages and impacts. This plan is bad on principle, except maybe relations advantages, but I'm sure you could grab those on plans that make more sense and are actually topical.

That's like saying descendants of American slaves shouldn't be accountable for their debts because their ancestors were victims of colonization and subjugation. Debt relief doesn't have any advantage besides getting people off who think it's some profound secret that some groups were oppressed in centuries past and conclude from this secret that its ancestors must be treated inversely as royalty.

For clarification purposes, these debts are not some arbitrary invention intended to "oppress" African nations. They are debts b/c these countries' leaders borrowed real money promising to pay real money back. When you perpetuate debt forgiveness there's no cost to the leaders who rule irresponsibly and waste millions on personal jets instead of important infrastructural renovations.

It would have been really nice if you would have made an actual response to my post. So, let's make the African people who are the poorest in the world pay back their leaders debts. This piece of evidence seems to work well for me: Third World Debt a Continuing Legacy of Colonialism, South Centre, Bulletin 85, August 2004,

The history of third world debt is the history of a massive siphoning-off by international finance of the resources of the most deprived peoples.This process is designed to perpetuate itself thanks to a diabolical mechanism whereby debt replicates itself on an ever greater scale, a cycle that can be broken only by cancelling the debt. According to a new Working Paper on “Effects of debt on human rights” prepared by Mr. El Hadji Guissé for current UN Sub Commision on Human Rights (E/CN.4/Sub.2/2004/27), the developing countries' debt is partly the result of the unjust transfer to them of the debts of the colonizing States! A sum of US$ 59 billion external in public debt was imposed on the newly independent States in 1960. With the additional strain of an interest rate unilaterally set at 14 per cent, this debt increased rapidly. Before they had even had time to organize their economies and get them up and running, the new debtors were already saddled with a heavy burden of debt.

Shifting the debts on nations who don't even have an economy developed is unjust and a cycle that is continually being perpetuated. So yeah, I think the richest nations in the world should find a way to cancel the debts that the poorest people in the world owe to them, since it has been unjust due to the colonialism.

And honestly, what's wrong with helping people who can't help themselves? Come on. Quit counting dollars and start counting human lives.

debt cancellation would allow the money saved to be spent on public health programs.

capitalism/globalization is bad, the IMF and world bank is evil. those are the advantages to be garnered.

it's more of a touchy feely Z-magazine kind of aff.

also topicality is genocidal.

You're an idiot. I've read this article before and laughed at it. And "that noam chomksy stuff" is not propaganda fool. It's called dissent, so if you don't like hearing negatives about our nation, then don't read Chomsky, but don't you dare tell me what I need to read. I'll choose whatever the hell I want. :)

Sign in to follow this