Sign in to follow this  
inkylouhoo

How do social groups influence drug use?

(1) What kind of a role do you think social groups play in determining how likely or unlikely a person is to do drugs, what types of drugs they're likely to use, how they view drug users, etc? (2) What social groups do you think lend themselves towards what attitudes? (3) What do you think peer pressure is, and how does it function? (4) Does your answer change in regards to different drugs?

Here's what I think:

(1) I think they play a really big role, because social groups affect the availability and perception of drug use. If you don't know how to get ahold of drugs and don't have anyone to do them with, you probably won't do them. However, if all of your friends are teetotalers...

(2) I don't really know, to be honest. I bet there are correlations between income/class and certain drugs, but I don't really have the info to guess.

(3) I don't think "peer pressure" happens the way schools try to convince students it does ("Hey, you should drink a beer!" "No thanks." "Dude, stop being a loser. Have a drink!" "Naw, I think I'll pass." "Hey, everybody, look at this kid! S/he's a loser because s/he won't even have a beer!"), but I people are often influenced by what their friends are doing, what is considered acceptable within their particular subculture, etc. Even if people aren't doing drugs because "everyone else is," I bet lots of people are influenced by thoughts like: "so-and-so does pot sometimes, but they seem perfectly fine" "it can't be that bad if so-and-so is doing it" and "will they think I'm a loser if I don't participate?"

(4) I think it does. I bet there are a lot more people who do things like pop painkillers secretly than there are secret pot smokers who always smoke alone.

Thoughts?

i think you're a damned hippie that lights up a little too often

Is it possible to light up to often?

Is it possible for Mitch to miss-spell 'too'?

Ah, you are hilarious and witty.

do your own homework.

It's not homework. What class would it even be for?? I was just interested to hear what the debate community had to say...which, apparently, is nothing.

Ah, you are hilarious and witty.

I'm thinking you maybe should have used one of your other seven accounts to make that post- that way it would make people think you actually had friends.

I'm thinking you maybe should have used one of your other seven accounts to make that post- that way it would make people think you actually had friends.

Nice Bro. You take a shower today?

Plus, it's have, not had. Dumb ass. Go hang out with all your "real" friends...oh wait.

Nice Bro. You take a shower today?

Plus, it's have, not had. Dumb ass. Go hang out with all your "real" friends...oh wait.

Actually I have taken a shower today, it was rather refreshing. Yeah and I used the word 'had' on account of the fact that I was talking about a post that happened in the past tense; see sometimes words change during tenses, it's not too complicated of a process.

I also wanted to compliment you on that post; you really got me on that one. It was so awesome, like you pointed out a grammatical error, that like wasn't even an error; you are a king at this shit.

Actually I have taken a shower today, it was rather refreshing. Yeah and I used the word 'had' on account of the fact that I was talking about a post that happened in the past tense; see sometimes words change during tenses, it's not too complicated of a process.

I also wanted to compliment you on that post; you really got me on that one. It was so awesome, like you pointed out a grammatical error, that like wasn't even an error; you are a king at this shit.

So I should of posted with one of my 7 accounts, that way someone would think that some time in the past I had friends? Oh, alright, that makes alot of sense. Ah, thats great. It's hilarious, not only do you suck at english in the real world, but you also suck on the forum world. I also hear you are good at debate, and win alot of rounds.... Dude, if you are not going to have friends, at least be good at something. You are a pseudo-intellect, you diagnosis yourself in order to "prove" your intelligence. There is a reason you eat lunch alone.

(1) What kind of a role do you think social groups play in determining how likely or unlikely a person is to do drugs, what types of drugs they're likely to use, how they view drug users, etc? (2) What social groups do you think lend themselves towards what attitudes? (3) What do you think peer pressure is, and how does it function? (4) Does your answer change in regards to different drugs?

Thoughts?

Okay. I'll give you feedback 'cause it seems like you really want it.

1. Very influential. I'm sure that if the greater portion of society decided to run around naked, people who want to "in" will run around naked. Same process with drugs.

2. All groups. Example a is like #1. Example b is that is rebillion. If you want to piss off someone really badly, you do the opposite of what the person you are antagonizing wants.

3. Peer pressure = need to fit in with the greater portion of society

Functions as a force that coerces people to change who they ontologically are.

4. Depends. If it is for medical purposes, shoot for it. If not, don't take them and make America look like a piece of shit infront of all the other countries of the world.

So I should of posted with one of my 7 accounts, that way someone would think that some time in the past I had friends? Oh, alright, that makes alot of sense. Ah, thats great. It's hilarious, not only do you suck at english in the real world, but you also suck on the forum world. I also hear you are good at debate, and win alot of rounds.... Dude, if you are not going to have friends, at least be good at something. You are a pseudo-intellect, you diagnosis yourself in order to "prove" your intelligence. There is a reason you eat lunch alone.

1) I see your grammatical context you're agruing for and does make sense; however my context does also.

I posted: "I'm thinking you maybe should have used one of your other seven accounts to make that post- that way it would make people think you actually had friends."

Notice that the term 'should have' this indicates we are talking in the past tense. Since I was talking in the past tense, the phrase, "you actually had friends" means that you 'had' friends at the time of your post.

I could have used either 'had' or 'have', than again it doesn't make one damned bit of difference so just shut the hell up about it.

2) Yeah you totally just killed me, oh wait, I'm not JVL. . . Yeah now you just seem pretty dumb, go die.

1) I see your grammatical context you're agruing for and does make sense; however my context does also.

I posted: "I'm thinking you maybe should have used one of your other seven accounts to make that post- that way it would make people think you actually had friends."

Notice that the term 'should have' this indicates we are talking in the past tense. Since I was talking in the past tense, the phrase, "you actually had friends" means that you 'had' friends at the time of your post.

I could have used either 'had' or 'have', than again it doesn't make one damned bit of difference so just shut the hell up about it.

2) Yeah you totally just killed me, oh wait, I'm not JVL. . . Yeah now you just seem pretty dumb, go die.

What? Did you get bored of Slayer? Anyways JVL, I'll see you sitting by yourself tomorrow.

But, since you started this with criticizing my spelling, I'll end it with criticizing yours:

* It's spelled then, not than. Good Job.

Alright JVL, I'll see you sitting by yourself tomorrow.

Anyways, since you started this with criticizing my spelling, I'll end it with criticizing yours:

* It's spelled then, not than.

Nice one on the spelling comment, it didn't quite live up to my legendary 'too' kritik.

But seriously and honest to god this isn't JVL, and I'm gonna laugh my ass off tomorrow when you start drilling him, he says its not him and starts laughing, and then you 'know' it's him and convince everyone to just be mean to him the rest of the day, the poor kid.

Nice one on the spelling comment, it didn't quite live up to my legendary 'too' kritik.

But seriously and honest to god this isn't JVL, and I'm gonna laugh my ass off tomorrow when you start drilling him, he says its not him and starts laughing, and then you 'know' it's him and convince everyone to just be mean to him the rest of the day, the poor kid.

Yeah, I feel bad for you. I will actually just ignore you like I do every day. No need for further embarrass you.

It's not homework. What class would it even be for?? I was just interested to hear what the debate community had to say...which, apparently, is nothing.

this forum is not a place to get your essays written for you. do your own work.

It's not homework. What class would it even be for??

Sociology and Psychology both would deal with drugs, the influences that lead to drug use, and the effects of drug use.

Criminal Justice classes might seek to examine the root causes of drug use in an effort to combat it.

Sociology and Psychology both would deal with drugs, the influences that lead to drug use, and the effects of drug use.

Criminal Justice classes might seek to examine the root causes of drug use in an effort to combat it.

My school's psych and soc classes don't talk about drugs at all...and we dont even have criminal justice classes.

Seriously. It's not for a class!

Here's what I think:

(1) I think they play a really big role, because social groups affect the availability and perception of drug use. If you don't know how to get ahold of drugs and don't have anyone to do them with, you probably won't do them. However, if all of your friends are teetotalers...

(2) I don't really know, to be honest. I bet there are correlations between income/class and certain drugs, but I don't really have the info to guess.

(3) I don't think "peer pressure" happens the way schools try to convince students it does ("Hey, you should drink a beer!" "No thanks." "Dude, stop being a loser. Have a drink!" "Naw, I think I'll pass." "Hey, everybody, look at this kid! S/he's a loser because s/he won't even have a beer!"), but I people are often influenced by what their friends are doing, what is considered acceptable within their particular subculture, etc. Even if people aren't doing drugs because "everyone else is," I bet lots of people are influenced by thoughts like: "so-and-so does pot sometimes, but they seem perfectly fine" "it can't be that bad if so-and-so is doing it" and "will they think I'm a loser if I don't participate?"

(4) I think it does. I bet there are a lot more people who do things like pop painkillers secretly than there are secret pot smokers who always smoke alone.

Thoughts?

Bringing it back...

These are crappy answers, but I thought this question deserved another response that doesn't have to do with individual flame wars or questioning the question.

1) Peers are influential, to a point. The individual ultimately makes the choice.

2) Social groups... well, obviously you've got stoners... that's a social group that's drug-related. Really, certain groups could in all possibility drink more, smoke more, or use other stuff. This would go back to the peer influence thing.

3) Peer pressure is overexaggerated, but it's true sometimes, for people who don't engage in certain behaviors, there's a sort of questioning: Am I alone? Sometimes people who don't do certain things or do certain things feel surrounded by people subscribing to a different lifestyle. This can apply to religion, drugs... whatever you want to look at.

4) Maybe... I'm not sure. I think what you said about painkillers vs. pot is somewhat accurate, but not totally. Some people do things you would never expect and keep them secret, such as secretly experimenting with drugs. However, I do think a lot of drug use is social in nature, or peer influenced... at first, anyway.

1) I'm not convinced that social groups play much of a role. In my own experience, at least 90% of my friends have experimented with drugs/use drugs on a regular basis, and yet, there are still that 10% of us (myself included) that have never done more than drink a small amount of alcohol at family functions.

I think we make assumptions about drug use based on social groups too often, without looking at it particularly actively.

2) Really, I see more drug use amongst the jocks and preps, but I think much of it is coincidental. I see more of a correlation not to social demographics, but on more of an individual basis...I just think it happens by coincidence.

3) I've never believed in peer pressure. Read:

X: Hey, man, you want to hit this?

Me: No, I'm good, but you go ahead.

X: Alright, cool.

4) I do feel this way. I would entertain serious discussion about the legalization of Marijuana, but I'm not a fan of people using harder drugs.

But that's just me.