Sign in to follow this  
pan50

How to run a NARRATIVE?

ok, so i find a compelling narrative but how do i run it in the AC? ie what kind of framework do i establish to warrant an independant affirmation (like how does it affirm, and why should it affirm)

Like after i read the narrative then what do i do?

thanks

Read your good cards about the power of narratives/how they can change mindsets in the 1AC as your solvency. Your framework should be critical, meaning you look at in-round implications.

There is also all sorts of good cards about how narratives serve to work against the state, build coalitions, all of your generic K answers but I'm assuming you already have a narratives good file.

My only other advice is to be sure you actually somewhat perform the narrative, not just read it quickly. Make it interesting, it won't be too hard. Most of your solvency cards will be based off of the 'performance' of narratives anyway.

If you have more specific questions, ask.

Narratives challenges biopolitics

Mills 3 “an ethics of bare life: agamben on witnessing, Borderlands ejournal v. 2 i.1 http://www.borderlandsejournal.adelaide.edu.au/vol2no1_2003/mills_agamben.html

Consequently, the ethics of witnessing that Agamben develops can be understood as an ethics of survival, insofar as the subject survives its radical and constitutive de-subjectification in testimony. As Agamben notes, the double movement of desubjectification and subjectification suggests that within humans, 'life bears with it a caesura that can transform all life into survival and all survival into life' (Agamben, 1999: 133). This suggestion clearly bears a strong relation to the distinction between bios and zoç that Agamben argues is crucial to the operation of biopolitics in his earlier book, Homo Sacer. In this text, Agamben argued that biopolitics operates through the disjuncture of bios and zoç, and the production of bare life as the excrescence of the failure of modern democracy to broach that disjuncture. Similarly, in Remnants, Agamben states that 'biopower's supreme ambition is to produce, in a human body, the absolute separation of the living being and the speaking being, zoç and bios, the inhuman and the human – survival' (Agamben, 1999: 156). Thus, against Foucault, Agamben suggests that the definitional formula of biopolitics is not 'to make live or let die', but rather, to make survive, that is, to produce bare life as life reduced to survival through the separation of the human from the inhuman, or the speaking being from the living being.

17. In this, biopolitics entails the absolute breaking apart of the double articulation of subjectification and desubjectification in the space of the camps, where subjectification is installed in the place of desubjectification and the impossibility of speaking, that is, the reduction of the human or the speaking being to the living being, the inhuman. Given then that testimony takes place in the interstices between the human and the inhuman, the speaking being and the living being, that is, between subjectification and de-subjectification, the value of testimony is that it presents an interminable opposition to the reduction of human life to survival. In bearing witness to desubjectification, testimony resubjectifies and resists the biopolitical operations on the caesuras in human life. In this, testimony appears as an ethics of survival insofar as 'with its every word, testimony refutes precisely this isolation…of survival from life' (Agamben, 1999: 155). Testimony provides a means of response to bare life that does not either abandon bare life to its absolute exposure to violence or sacralize human life at the expense of the biological and inhuman.

yeah, when you are reading the narrative.. live it.

If you read it like a normal arg and speed through it with no aminmation it reallly hurts you in terms of picking up the ballot on that act.

The key, I have found, to good narration in a debate round is to have the card memorized. I know it sounds corny but a powerful delivery w/o reading straight from the card can be helpful. Don't spread it by any means, but I think you should still deliver it above a conversational rate.